RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 07:30 PM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Yup, my RPM's got stuckk at 4000 RPM too
my does the same, going down the mountain or lowering speed on the column, rpm goes up to 5000 and stays, feels like a race car
Old 04-03-18, 07:51 PM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Darith
I apologize for the delayed response I was searching for the print out from the last visit at the dealership since the fix. I look at the work order (I stressed this acceleration/transition hesitation issue to the rep who was taking care of me and she did notify the mechanics about it), but there was nothing on the physical print out that lists the fix for it as I do believe what another member mentioned before in this thread that it would be a discreet fix once you bring your vehicle into the dealership (which makes me curious if it was an ECU transmission setting to make the MPG numbers look good, but don't quote me on that as I'm just speculating). To update from my last post, the hesitation transmission issue is still gone/fixed and it's still a pleasure to drive (and I'm still putting in regular 87 gas the entire time).

I'm trying to track my MPG to see if it has been affected, but I do mostly 70% city/30% highway and the highest was 24 MPG but average around 17-18 MPG which does seem a bit low...
Still no hesitation? I have same issue and can not find a solution how to fix it.
Old 04-04-18, 06:50 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by chiosas

yes,mine shifts down and rpm goes almost to red line and also if i go down the hill it acts the same, shifts couple gears down and rpm goes up like crazy, engine noise sounds like formula one race...Do you have hesitation issue driving city at normal speeds specially after you make a turn and need to accelerate? What year is your RX?
Mine is a 2017 350. The transmission does hesitate to downshift after turning etc. but I put it in "sport" and that solves it. I've never had the high revving like you said.
Old 04-05-18, 10:13 AM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Mine is a 2017 350. The transmission does hesitate to downshift after turning etc. but I put it in "sport" and that solves it. I've never had the high revving like you said.
exactly same, hesitation after turning, i wrote a letter to lexus and set the appt this saturaday for me at my dealership
Old 04-05-18, 11:31 AM
ravenuer
Racer

exactly same, hesitation after turning, i wrote a letter to lexus and set the appt this saturaday for me at my dealership
Have you tried putting it in "Sport" and see what happens? The hesitation to downshift in "Normal or Eco" is probably the way it was designed to work. But if I put it in "Sport", it downshifts immediately.
Old 04-05-18, 12:42 PM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Have you tried putting it in "Sport" and see what happens? The hesitation to downshift in "Normal or Eco" is probably the way it was designed to work. But if I put it in "Sport", it downshifts immediately.
Yes, in Sport it shifts great but rpm stays high most of the time, in normal driving conditions way too high. I bought a Lexus, not a Subaru for racing
Old 04-05-18, 01:55 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Yes, in Sport it shifts great but rpm stays high most of the time, in normal driving conditions way too high. I bought a Lexus, not a Subaru for racing
Yes, my engine speed is slightly higher, but certainly not objectionable. Perhaps your car does have a problem. Hopefully they'll fix it.
Old 04-05-18, 06:09 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

I've found that when driving around my home town (rural area, a slow way of life) the changes are good as I'm just feathering the throttle out of corners/roundabouts, just let it accelerate slower than some people may like. When I regularly go to the city (Sydney) where traffic is a faster pace I try to give some more throttle for the corners/roundabouts and yes the car has changed up gears so than downchanges abruptly - this is where the Sport mode is better. I'm sure they have designed it to get better fuel consumption in Normal and like I said if it's driven in a more sedate manner it's fine. It's only a minor complaint for me as there's so many positives with the car I can overlook this issue.
Old 04-06-18, 08:39 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I've found that when driving around my home town (rural area, a slow way of life) the changes are good as I'm just feathering the throttle out of corners/roundabouts, just let it accelerate slower than some people may like. When I regularly go to the city (Sydney) where traffic is a faster pace I try to give some more throttle for the corners/roundabouts and yes the car has changed up gears so than downchanges abruptly - this is where the Sport mode is better. I'm sure they have designed it to get better fuel consumption in Normal and like I said if it's driven in a more sedate manner it's fine. It's only a minor complaint for me as there's so many positives with the car I can overlook this issue.
You are absolutely correct however I have never had any of those thoughts in any other car I have ever driven, it's just not normal, you should not have to drive in a sedate manner. The TBS eliminated most of the shifting problems for me.
Old 04-06-18, 07:10 PM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nail34
You are absolutely correct however I have never had any of those thoughts in any other car I have ever driven, it's just not normal, you should not have to drive in a sedate manner. The TBS eliminated most of the shifting problems for me.
btw guys, do you feel any difference between NORMAL and ECO?? I do not feel anything at all. Car is great on the highway, but city driving ( Chicago) is killing me. From start to stop it is not bad unless i make a turn in low speed and press a pedal
Old 04-09-18, 06:51 AM
chiosas
Driver School Candidate

left my rx at the dealer on saturday, they gave me a loaner, oh men, this rx is like a jet, no hesitation at all, Eco mode is almost as my Sport mode, downshifts instantly after turning. My rx is made in Japan and this loaner is made in Canada.
Old 04-09-18, 02:53 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Cool

left my rx at the dealer on saturday, they gave me a loaner, oh men, this rx is like a jet, no hesitation at all, Eco mode is almost as my Sport mode, downshifts instantly after turning. My rx is made in Japan and this loaner is made in Canada.
Don't suppose they'd swap you, heh?
Old 05-02-18, 01:45 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hesitation on throttle tip in

My 17 rx had severe hesitation on throttle application, dealer said no fix installed powertune module, fixed it. Gained 2 mpg.
Old 05-02-18, 02:28 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fgcain
My 17 rx had severe hesitation on throttle application, dealer said no fix installed powertune module, fixed it. Gained 2 mpg.
What's a powertune module, how does it work and how do you install it??
Old 05-02-18, 02:51 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile hesitation

there are many posts about hesitation, 16 up rx350, I owned a shop for 37 years. Here is the deal,Lexus, in its quest to satisfy EPA Regs has mapped the Ecu to pass the tests. In doing this the Ecu is not providing enough ignition advance to operate smoothly. Without correct advance, hesitation on tip in occurs, trans shif points are affected, and fuel mileage will suffer. As I was told by my dealer, Lexus does not have a fix, there is a very simple solution. Install a powertune module in the obd port under the dash. 80$. All it does is raise the timing, improve shift points, and improve fuel mileage around 2 mpg. Forget the ECO mode, it’s a joke and you don’t need it. Cruising at 75 mph I get better mileage in sport. I am now seeing27-28 mpg on the highway. All the benefits are the result of more ignition advance. Nothing else. Better fuel is a good idea. Shell mid-grade is just fine. DO NOT buy cheap gas.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)