RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 04:48 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cruise

Amazon powertune module 79.97$ and, you will achieve greater fuel mileage using your foof, not cruise. Cruise applys to much throttle going up hills. Kills mpg

Last edited by Fgcain; 05-02-18 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-02-18, 11:00 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Fgcain
My 17 rx had severe hesitation on throttle application, dealer said no fix installed powertune module, fixed it. Gained 2 mpg.
"The dealer said no fix" - I thought there was a TSB which addressed this problem.
Old 05-03-18, 07:13 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Smile Hesitation

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
"The dealer said no fix" - I thought there was a TSB which addressed this problem.
I had heard online that an update was available, bu my dealer in Atlanta says no. This thing was driving me crazy, I had been making plans to trade it. I don’t usually go this route, but being desperate, I tried it. I was really surprised when it worked, and very well.my wife has a 2017 nx300, her car runs perfectly, she wouldn’t drive mine,she said it jerked to much. Now, no hesitation.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 07:23 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

I had heard online that an update was available, bu my dealer in Atlanta says no. This thing was driving me crazy, I had been making plans to trade it. I don’t usually go this route, but being desperate, I tried it. I was really surprised when it worked, and very well.my wife has a 2017 nx300, her car runs perfectly, she wouldn’t drive mine,she said it jerked to much. Now, no hesitation.
This is the one, apparently changes the mapping of the tranny. I'm in Australia and our RX's don't have the same problem so we didn't get the TSB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB L-SB-0109-17.pdf (87.2 KB, 906 views)
Old 05-03-18, 07:50 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Default Hesitation

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
This is the one, apparently changes the mapping of the tranny. I'm in Australia and our RX's don't have the same problem so we didn't get the TSB.
this tab applies to <39738vin# mine is 87411, maybe that is why they do not have the update for mine.

Old 05-03-18, 02:13 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I ordered the module today. I will let you know how it works. My Lexus sometimes hestitates and then jumps forward like a rocket. This is not a nice smooth shifting transmission. You have to constantly work with it. You should not even be conscious of the shift points on a properly configured transmission. Of course all of this is just in our minds. Our vehicles are operating properly.
Old 05-03-18, 02:36 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

I was really surprised when this thing actually worked, mine is great, could not ask for more. I think it is all in the timing, mine would stumble and buck starting off,weird downshift going up hills,downshift to early, upshift to late, all that is fixed. A guy who worked for me about 15 years ago had a v8 Camaro, he complained about his trans not shifting properly, I told him to tune it up. Fixed his tranny.
Old 05-03-18, 04:48 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazon powertune module 79.97$ and, you will achieve greater fuel mileage using your foof, not cruise. Cruise applys to much throttle going up hills. Kills mpg
What is the exact Amazon url? clicking on the module url above shows me a search page on Amazon with various items so I can't tell which one you're referring to.
Old 05-03-18, 05:08 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Go to amazon, on the amazon search bar , type in make and model of your vehicle. Should go straight to it. Don’t forget to type Powertune. After vehicle info. This scrolling website is making me crazy!
Old 05-03-18, 06:07 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by sc400
What is the exact Amazon url? clicking on the module url above shows me a search page on Amazon with various items so I can't tell which one you're referring to.
Type "Power Tune" as two words
Old 05-04-18, 12:35 PM
JamieComer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down So much for Happy Birthday to me.

I bought this for my birthday and am hating driving it. I just went from a 10 year old Chevy Tahoe to a 2017 RX350, and am missing driving the Tahoe as well as many nice features it had that this doesn't .(ex:it's annoying to get in again and have the seat heaters still on). I bought the 2017 new because it was a smoking deal vs. the 2018 with no new changes.
This chugging, shimmying, hesitation, etc I feel upon any acceleration is making me CRAZY. I bought a $55,000 car for Luxury and to down size my big V8 pig. Well after all that I wish I had my Tahoe back. :-(
I called when I had only 300 miles on it, they told me to wait until 1,000 miles as it would learn my patterns (except I am not driving normal because you have to floor it not to feel the jerks)
The dealer has it now, (1,550 mi) and like someone else said I made them give me the exact same thing for a loaner to compare. When I first got on the freeway, it cruised up the incline and didn't shift until 3000 RPM, WOW, now I realized my car is a turd. Took the freeway to work, and thought I had faith in Lexus again. However, I took the side streets home in rush hour traffic and saw that this car shifts in the 1,000's as well. The only thing I noticed was it didn't jerk (shimmy/jolt) whatever you want to call it as hard as mine.
I was so upset last night as the husband said "well I guess you are stuck with it now". Mind you I only compared it to the Infinity QX60 and Merceded GLE when making my decision. Is it one I will regret for years? I sent them the service bulletin for Hesitation someone else posted and like they told me last month, that was for cars before mine, mine supposedly has the "fix". It was manufactured Dec 17. I can't believe this is what it is when this is one of the longest posts on this page! I am also the sucker who bought the extended warranty, the window/ding/paint warranty and put side moldings and mudflaps on it the day I bought it, so to dump it now would be a bit painful.
Anyone else get this issue resolved? I see the comments on the thingy from Amazon, but I would be worried about voiding the warranty.
Old 05-05-18, 10:53 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear that the same is happening to you. Shows that Lexus still can’t get their act together. Don’t do the amazon plugin. Unfortunately trying different gas, TSBs etc doesn’t ultimately fix anything. Vote with your dollars and don’t be a repeat customer.
Originally Posted by JamieComer
I bought this for my birthday and am hating driving it. I just went from a 10 year old Chevy Tahoe to a 2017 RX350, and am missing driving the Tahoe as well as many nice features it had that this doesn't .(ex:it's annoying to get in again and have the seat heaters still on). I bought the 2017 new because it was a smoking deal vs. the 2018 with no new changes.
This chugging, shimmying, hesitation, etc I feel upon any acceleration is making me CRAZY. I bought a $55,000 car for Luxury and to down size my big V8 pig. Well after all that I wish I had my Tahoe back. :-(
I called when I had only 300 miles on it, they told me to wait until 1,000 miles as it would learn my patterns (except I am not driving normal because you have to floor it not to feel the jerks)
The dealer has it now, (1,550 mi) and like someone else said I made them give me the exact same thing for a loaner to compare. When I first got on the freeway, it cruised up the incline and didn't shift until 3000 RPM, WOW, now I realized my car is a turd. Took the freeway to work, and thought I had faith in Lexus again. However, I took the side streets home in rush hour traffic and saw that this car shifts in the 1,000's as well. The only thing I noticed was it didn't jerk (shimmy/jolt) whatever you want to call it as hard as mine.
I was so upset last night as the husband said "well I guess you are stuck with it now". Mind you I only compared it to the Infinity QX60 and Merceded GLE when making my decision. Is it one I will regret for years? I sent them the service bulletin for Hesitation someone else posted and like they told me last month, that was for cars before mine, mine supposedly has the "fix". It was manufactured Dec 17. I can't believe this is what it is when this is one of the longest posts on this page! I am also the sucker who bought the extended warranty, the window/ding/paint warranty and put side moldings and mudflaps on it the day I bought it, so to dump it now would be a bit painful.
Anyone else get this issue resolved? I see the comments on the thingy from Amazon, but I would be worried about voiding the warranty.
Old 05-05-18, 04:15 PM
JamieComer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Sorry to hear that the same is happening to you. Shows that Lexus still can’t get their act together. Don’t do the amazon plugin. Unfortunately trying different gas, TSBs etc doesn’t ultimately fix anything. Vote with your dollars and don’t be a repeat customer.
Thank you.Just returned from errands in the same loaner and it was doing the same crsp. I was getting on the freeway at a normal rate of acceleration and i watched the needle shimmy up and down right at 1,000 rpms. It was rediculous. Considering a lawyer. Had to get one for my Acuta and after a year they had to give me every penny i put into it, i just wonder about this situation since "it is what it is" as opposed to an issue.
Old 05-05-18, 06:32 PM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
why should we not try amazon plugin? At this point I feel like we’ve got nothing to lose.
Old 05-06-18, 02:36 PM
Ziggaty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my battery and not long after had all sorts of funny problems. Occasional loss of power steering. Not selecting gears properly. I was about to take it to the dealer and was expecting a big bill. Luckily I decided to check the battery to find I had not tighten the terminal correctly. Everything went fine after that.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)