RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 04:20 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Tried the module from Amazon today. So far after driving stop and go traffic no jerking or hesitation. I will keep you informed but this may be the fix. Will review with you all in about a week or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by stevemcb:
Fgcain (05-08-18), yongosu (05-09-18)
Old 05-07-18, 06:25 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been driving mine about a week since installing the amazon module. Runs perfect, shifts butter smooth. Could not be happier.
Old 05-07-18, 06:35 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

It is ridiculous that Lexus knows they have a problem covering 3 model years, that can be corrected cheaply, and they do nothing.
Old 05-08-18, 08:54 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

BUY the Amazon plugin.I have been in touch with powertune,they are aware of rx350 issues, they know their module can correct it. They confirmed my thoughts that it re-maps the timing profile by modifying the signal at the obd port. Does not modify the ecm. Install it you will be happy, or spend $$$ on an attorney. It will not hurt your car, it will not affect your warranty.
Old 05-08-18, 09:03 AM
technodis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fgcain
BUY the Amazon plugin.I have been in touch with powertune,they are aware of rx350 issues, they know their module can correct it. They confirmed my thoughts that it re-maps the timing profile by modifying the signal at the obd port. Does not modify the ecm. Install it you will be happy, or spend $$$ on an attorney. It will not hurt your car, it will not affect your warranty.
I’m going to check out this power tune module. Does it only work while it’s plugged in or does it change the coding of the car and then it gets removed? Want to be sure this also doesn’t affect my remaining warranty.
Old 05-08-18, 09:10 AM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Only works when plugged in check my last post
Old 05-08-18, 06:19 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Use the plug in , it works. If you want to complain, complain. It’s a fact that Lexus has messed up with these cars, but there is a cheap fix, it works better than expected, and makes my rx a joy to drive. No , I do not work for powertune, I am just a Lexus owner, who retired from owning an auto repair shop for 37 years, common sense in diagnosing the cause, low ignition timing, knowledge, gained in 37 years of experience And wisdom to know what to look for. I know most of you want to have a pity party, but when you are finished just buy the plug in.

Last edited by Fgcain; 05-08-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-09-18, 11:08 AM
yongosu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemcb
Tried the module from Amazon today. So far after driving stop and go traffic no jerking or hesitation. I will keep you informed but this may be the fix. Will review with you all in about a week or so.
Please keep us posted about the Amazon module. Thanks!
Old 05-09-18, 03:35 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

Use the plug in , it works. If you want to complain, complain. It’s a fact that Lexus has messed up with these cars, but there is a cheap fix, it works better than expected, and makes my rx a joy to drive. No , I do not work for powertune, I am just a Lexus owner, who retired from owning an auto repair shop for 37 years, common sense in diagnosing the cause, low ignition timing, knowledge, gained in 37 years of experience And wisdom to know what to look for. I know most of you want to have a pity party, but when you are finished just buy the plug in.
Sounds like a cheap and easy fix. If I had the problem, and I don't, I'd certainly give it a shot.
Old 05-09-18, 05:55 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Sounds like a cheap and easy fix. If I had the problem, and I don't, I'd certainly give it a shot.
Curious....are you the only regular driver of the car and do you drive mostly the same ie: always hard and fast, or always gentle and slower.
Old 05-09-18, 07:17 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

these chips are junk.....79.00 to fix an issue in a 60,000 vehicle ....really? do yourselves a favor and read this....keep the 79

http://www.performancechipreviews.com/powertune-performance-chip/
Old 05-09-18, 07:33 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

My wife drives it , but she hated the way it jerked and hesitated. Now she loves it, I am a more conservative driver, but, it performs well under all conditions.she has a 18 nx300, sometimes we swap out.
Old 05-09-18, 07:43 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

I read that before I purchased it, like you said an 80$ part in a 50k car, the bottom line is it works, the little bit of memory it possesses is enough to alter ignition timing. That is all it does, that is all it needs. I repaired a 100k Mercedes with a 1.25 plastic clip, did not matter what it cost,it fixed it, just like this module will fix your rx. If you want to drive a 50k car that runs like crap, go ahead. Or, get your head out of that dark place and try the module.
Old 05-09-18, 08:11 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

When I plug my 12,000$ scan tothis is not a code reader, into the old port, I have access to all the computer circuits in a vehicle. I can operate all systems and accessories on a vehicle. There is only one system I do not have access to, the ecm, I can read what it is doing, just can’t change it. If you look at the old port, from ford, to Lexus [obd] the port and plug are pretty much the same. There are several pins in the port that match the connectors in the plug. Each set of pins has a purpose, some multipurpose. The pins that carry the timing signal are in the same place on all, no matter the manufacturer. This thing has just enough memory to capture this signal, modify it ,and real ease it back to the ecm as a request for more advance.It is NOT rocket science people.If you buy one and do not like it, the manufacturer will refund your money.Just because you have an expensive car, you don’t need a 10,000 fix, and you don’t need magic.you need a simple solution that works. My dad always told me , you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.
Old 05-10-18, 02:39 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

When I plug my 12,000$ scan tothis is not a code reader, into the old port, I have access to all the computer circuits in a vehicle. I can operate all systems and accessories on a vehicle. There is only one system I do not have access to, the ecm, I can read what it is doing, just can’t change it. If you look at the old port, from ford, to Lexus [obd] the port and plug are pretty much the same. There are several pins in the port that match the connectors in the plug. Each set of pins has a purpose, some multipurpose. The pins that carry the timing signal are in the same place on all, no matter the manufacturer. This thing has just enough memory to capture this signal, modify it ,and real ease it back to the ecm as a request for more advance.It is NOT rocket science people.If you buy one and do not like it, the manufacturer will refund your money.Just because you have an expensive car, you don’t need a 10,000 fix, and you don’t need magic.you need a simple solution that works. My dad always told me , you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.
Why wouldn't all the RX's have the same timing issue? Some people say their car drives fine, others say it's crap.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)