RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 07:21 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Regular all the time . Get about 26-27 mpg on trips at 75 mph expressway driving. 18 around town.
Old 05-25-18, 09:12 AM
ajhbrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Reset Question???

Has anyone tried to reset their ECU chip themselves? I've heard of the dealer/service department doing it on occasion, but I don't think they like to do it very often. What are the problems with resetting the ECU. I'm thinking my initial learning was mostly done on ECO mode, but now I'm driving more on Normal mode. I'm driving more on Normal Mode because the car seems jerky, rough and hesitate, especially from a stop to go at lower speeds. I'm not totally happy with the car's transmission, even on Normal Mode now. It seems to me that it was driving better when it was new and still learning my driving habits, now I have 6,500 miles. At the 5,000 mile service, I mentioned the hesitation/jerky transmission issues and they told me to try premium gas for a few tanks before I'll notice a difference and explained that especially gas in California is rough due to EPA and State emissions regulations. I did that and only noticed a slight improvement, but sill not satisfactory for me especially considering premium fuel is not indicated or recommended by the manufacturer plus it costs more. I also tried the Amazon Powertune (bought thru eBay), and the jury is still out, but so far I don't think it's really helping much if at all (I've used it for over 100 miles or so as recommended, and tried for comparison to leave in and remove and drive around and don't really think it's doing anything much if at all). I also know and heard about the TSB, but when I asked service department at my 5,000, they said they're not doing it unless they feel the car really needs it, or something like that. I set a separate appointment next week specifically for this issue, so we shall see. But I'm expecting them to test drive and tell me nothing is wrong and this is how it's supposed to be. BTW: I have the AWD RX350 2017 model.
Old 05-25-18, 09:43 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ajhbrady
Has anyone tried to reset their ECU chip themselves? I've heard of the dealer/service department doing it on occasion, but I don't think they like to do it very often. What are the problems with resetting the ECU. I'm thinking my initial learning was mostly done on ECO mode, but now I'm driving more on Normal mode. I'm driving more on Normal Mode because the car seems jerky, rough and hesitate, especially from a stop to go at lower speeds. I'm not totally happy with the car's transmission, even on Normal Mode now. It seems to me that it was driving better when it was new and still learning my driving habits, now I have 6,500 miles. At the 5,000 mile service, I mentioned the hesitation/jerky transmission issues and they told me to try premium gas for a few tanks before I'll notice a difference and explained that especially gas in California is rough due to EPA and State emissions regulations. I did that and only noticed a slight improvement, but sill not satisfactory for me especially considering premium fuel is not indicated or recommended by the manufacturer plus it costs more. I also tried the Amazon Powertune (bought thru eBay), and the jury is still out, but so far I don't think it's really helping much if at all (I've used it for over 100 miles or so as recommended, and tried for comparison to leave in and remove and drive around and don't really think it's doing anything much if at all). I also know and heard about the TSB, but when I asked service department at my 5,000, they said they're not doing it unless they feel the car really needs it, or something like that. I set a separate appointment next week specifically for this issue, so we shall see. But I'm expecting them to test drive and tell me nothing is wrong and this is how it's supposed to be. BTW: I have the AWD RX350 2017 model.

Some disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to reset it.
Old 05-25-18, 01:37 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't have that problem, never used the eco mode, as I know it's a pain, but I've always used premium 91 octane min from the get go. Could that be the reason?!
Old 05-25-18, 04:44 PM
ajhbrady
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
I don't have that problem, never used the eco mode, as I know it's a pain, but I've always used premium 91 octane min from the get go. Could that be the reason?!
I filled my last 3 tanks or so with 91 octane, but like I said maybe a slight improvement is all, if anything. I'm still not happy with the transmission shifting. It seems unpredictable, sometimes feels fines, other times really hesitant,and jerky. Not smooth as butter, like I felt with my previous car, 2005 Toyota 4runner. And like I said, I really didn't notice these issues when the car was new (I guess learning my driving), but now it's more noticeable and unpredictable. That's why I switched gas, after the Lexus dealership told me and eventually tried the powertune device too. Maybe I try to reset the ECU next, not sure. Everything else I love about the car, but this issue is very bothersome.
Old 05-26-18, 05:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

I filled my last 3 tanks or so with 91 octane, but like I said maybe a slight improvement is all, if anything. I'm still not happy with the transmission shifting. It seems unpredictable, sometimes feels fines, other times really hesitant,and jerky. Not smooth as butter, like I felt with my previous car, 2005 Toyota 4runner. And like I said, I really didn't notice these issues when the car was new (I guess learning my driving), but now it's more noticeable and unpredictable. That's why I switched gas, after the Lexus dealership told me and eventually tried the powertune device too. Maybe I try to reset the ECU next, not sure. Everything else I love about the car, but this issue is very bothersome.
Probably a reset will solve the problem.
Old 05-26-18, 01:57 PM
Speck
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Larryu
What I don't understand is when my dealer loaned me a 2015 RX 350 it was powerful, quick and solid acceleration I never had any hesitation. Then I got my 2016 back and it has the hesitation. It seems they need to work the "bugs" out of the 2016.
2015 has a 6 speed transmission.
Old 05-26-18, 05:57 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Don't know if you saw my post - I'll repeat it here:-

I bought my RX used, 18,000 km on it, an ex-Lexus head office vehicle - it seemed to drive fine around the unfamiliar dealership area but when I took delivery and drove the 1.5 hours home the hesitation started to show. Once in my familiar area it was obvious it had issues, so started trying different octane fuel, driving differently to allow for the unusual gear changes, trying other fuel again, switching to Sport, then Eco, then Normal and for a while it would seem okay but then back to awful. At the 30,000 km service I mentioned the issue, they found nothing wrong but did reset the ECM and wow, a different car, it was obviously better and once back to familiar territory it felt great - mostly. That's when I realised the car has two personas, drive gently and it's fine in Normal mode, want to go faster put it in Sport. The moral of my story is I feel this learning transmission is trying to be too smart - I bought the car used so it was use to another person driving, I started driving it, felt unhappy with it and kept changing fuels and driving techniques which basically kept changing that learning pattern and screwing up the whole process, at the service the ECM was reset and back to standard and has been great since (if I use the appropriate mode for the conditions). Anyway that's my story - maybe the US models have a more fuel efficient mapping as I know economy is a big thing over there, this would mean sooner up-changes then ideal but better headline fuel consumption, and this may mean even more poor driving characteristics compared to ours.

Ask the dealer to reset, I don't know why they wouldn't or don't like to, not going to harm anything or take long.

Also what's interesting is in Australia our manual says to use the mid tier fuel (Premium 95 OCT - AKI 90) which I always do now, whereas in North America the manual says regular (AKI 87).
Old 05-26-18, 08:32 PM
ajhbrady
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Don't know if you saw my post - I'll repeat it here:-

I bought my RX used, 18,000 km on it, an ex-Lexus head office vehicle - it seemed to drive fine around the unfamiliar dealership area but when I took delivery and drove the 1.5 hours home the hesitation started to show. Once in my familiar area it was obvious it had issues, so started trying different octane fuel, driving differently to allow for the unusual gear changes, trying other fuel again, switching to Sport, then Eco, then Normal and for a while it would seem okay but then back to awful. At the 30,000 km service I mentioned the issue, they found nothing wrong but did reset the ECM and wow, a different car, it was obviously better and once back to familiar territory it felt great - mostly. That's when I realised the car has two personas, drive gently and it's fine in Normal mode, want to go faster put it in Sport. The moral of my story is I feel this learning transmission is trying to be too smart - I bought the car used so it was use to another person driving, I started driving it, felt unhappy with it and kept changing fuels and driving techniques which basically kept changing that learning pattern and screwing up the whole process, at the service the ECM was reset and back to standard and has been great since (if I use the appropriate mode for the conditions). Anyway that's my story - maybe the US models have a more fuel efficient mapping as I know economy is a big thing over there, this would mean sooner up-changes then ideal but better headline fuel consumption, and this may mean even more poor driving characteristics compared to ours.

Ask the dealer to reset, I don't know why they wouldn't or don't like to, not going to harm anything or take long.

Also what's interesting is in Australia our manual says to use the mid tier fuel (Premium 95 OCT - AKI 90) which I always do now, whereas in North America the manual says regular (AKI 87).
Thank you very much for the information and suggestion. I will suggest or ask for ECU reset. If they don't do it, I may do it myself just to see what happens. Thanks! I'll try to update as well.
Old 06-13-18, 07:24 PM
astrom
Driver School Candidate

Default Not good...

Just bought a new RX350 F Sport a few weeks ago. The transmission is just terrible at speeds between 20 and 40 miles an hour. The engine drones constantly, which is most tiresome and unpleasant, especially in a $60K vehicle. The car is slow from the start and at low speeds. I have already taken it back to the dealer, but they said it was normal and there is nothing they can do about it. A mechanic drove it around with me and suggested using premium gas, drive in S or S+ modes and wait for any updates for the 2018 year model. Using premium gas has helped a little, but the car is still not really smooth at all at below 40 mph speeds. In short, I am really disappointed in Lexus and probably will not buy another ever again. With $60K to spend I can definitely do better than this.
Old 06-14-18, 07:10 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by astrom
Just bought a new RX350 F Sport a few weeks ago. The transmission is just terrible at speeds between 20 and 40 miles an hour. The engine drones constantly, which is most tiresome and unpleasant, especially in a $60K vehicle. The car is slow from the start and at low speeds. I have already taken it back to the dealer, but they said it was normal and there is nothing they can do about it. A mechanic drove it around with me and suggested using premium gas, drive in S or S+ modes and wait for any updates for the 2018 year model. Using premium gas has helped a little, but the car is still not really smooth at all at below 40 mph speeds. In short, I am really disappointed in Lexus and probably will not buy another ever again. With $60K to spend I can definitely do better than this.
Have you read through this thread, or at least scanned through, there's TSBs for the hesitation and droning, your dealer SHOULD know about them. Maybe they aren't keen to do the work but obviously they should.
Old 06-14-18, 09:45 AM
astrom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Have you read through this thread, or at least scanned through, there's TSBs for the hesitation and droning, your dealer SHOULD know about them. Maybe they aren't keen to do the work but obviously they should.
All I see here is a lot of complaining about the same issue... in any event, I don't think there is any TSB for the 2018 model year yet. I haven't seen it online and my Lexus mechanic has told me so.
Old 06-14-18, 10:50 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by astrom
All I see here is a lot of complaining about the same issue... in any event, I don't think there is any TSB for the 2018 model year yet. I haven't seen it online and my Lexus mechanic has told me so.
TSB for the 2018 would be the same as for 2017 as everything is the same.
Old 06-22-18, 10:36 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just had the dealer reset my ECU and the car now drives much better. Maybe a placebo effect? The RX felt lethargic while taking off from an intersection and pretty much any speed below 40 km/h. That is no longer the case, so I'm quite pleased with the result after the ECU reset.
Old 06-22-18, 05:40 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by vuong05
Just had the dealer reset my ECU and the car now drives much better. Maybe a placebo effect? The RX felt lethargic while taking off from an intersection and pretty much any speed below 40 km/h. That is no longer the case, so I'm quite pleased with the result after the ECU reset.
Was yours a used vehicle when purchased?
Do more then two people regularly drive the vehicle?

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)