RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 08:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnav
Hi,

I bought a new 2018 Rx350 last week, the car is sluggish in acceleration after a stop sign/ red light, when i push the accelerator i can hear sort of vibration below my seat and across the car. it seems like its either missing transmission or changing gears, it all goes away when i take my foot off the accelerator pedal and push it again.This happened a few times, specially when i am getting on a highway/freeway. Overall it runs smooth and a nice ride.

My question: is this a common problem in new car and will it go away once i put more km on it or do i get it checked out at dealership.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Note: If this topic has already been discussed in a previous thread please let me know, I will remove this thread and post my query in other one.
It's no race car but if it feels like a MISS, something might be wrong. There's a few threads on related subjects, vibration, hesitation etc. you can search.
The following users liked this post:
lexusnav (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 09:05 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi,

I bought a new 2018 Rx350 last week, the car is sluggish in acceleration after a stop sign/ red light, when i push the accelerator i can hear sort of vibration below my seat and across the car. it seems like its either missing transmission or changing gears, it all goes away when i take my foot off the accelerator pedal and push it again.This happened a few times, specially when i am getting on a highway/freeway. Overall it runs smooth and a nice ride.
My question: is this a common problem in new car and will it go away once i put more km on it or do i get it checked out at dealership.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Note: If this topic has already been discussed in a previous thread please let me know, I will remove this thread and post my query in other one.
Make sure you're not in ECO mode as sometimes it happens when this is selected.

Old 09-24-18, 09:13 AM
lexusnav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply, its not about race.. i am talking about normal driving conditions. i did find another thread discussing similar problem however none them had mentioned 2018 model, it seems this problem was quite common for 2016 model. i have spoken to dealership and will be visiting them soon. lets see what diagnostics come up with.
Old 09-24-18, 09:14 AM
lexusnav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
Make sure you're not in ECO mode as sometimes it happens when this is selected.
No i checked, i drive in Normal mode. i will still check again. Thanks.
Old 09-24-18, 09:15 AM
lexusnav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
It's no race car but if it feels like a MISS, something might be wrong. There's a few threads on related subjects, vibration, hesitation etc. you can search.
Thanks for your reply, its not about race.. i am talking about normal driving conditions. i did find another thread discussing similar problem however none them had mentioned 2018 model, it seems this problem was quite common for 2016 model. i have spoken to dealership and will be visiting them soon. lets see what diagnostics come up with.
Old 09-24-18, 09:54 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, in ECO mode my RXL is bit sluggish and I can feel the viberation when accelerator is pressed hard during start stop traffic, so I avoid using ECO mode. Normal mode is ok and acceleration is somewhat ok and I dont feel any viberations when pressed hard. In Sports mode, its altogether a different vehicle. It revs hard, no viberations and I love the sound engine makes..
Sorry different topic, just got curious, did Lexus work with Yamaha for engine sound?
Old 09-24-18, 11:17 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Owner of a 2016.

I have no vibration, and acceleration is driven by software that seems to have some configured gas pedal levels and timing to go in higher acceleration in order to smooth the fuel consumption. So it you press a bit more on the pedal due to a bump or whatever, it will ignore it to keep the gas consumption to the same level.

I got used to those levels of how much to press the pedal to get the response I want. So I find the acceleration OK,
In eco mode, the response time is slower to determine "ok that's really what the driver wants" when pressing more on the pedal. Do not use on the highway to be able to do an safe passing.
In normal mode, that response time is a bit decreased, but the power output per gaz pedal level is the same.

The only mode where all software filters are removed and you get sheer engine response, it is in Sport mode. But you will find the gas gauge to go down much faster too as it will keep the transmission in lower gears to give more torque and power...
Old 09-24-18, 11:29 AM
robotbelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It happened similar to me when I got mine. I don't like eco mode. Put in sport mode will make you feel better, mpg will not drop into big different compare to eco mode. Got 800 miles on it and seems great so far.
Old 09-24-18, 11:44 AM
lexusnav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Owner of a 2016.

I have no vibration, and acceleration is driven by software that seems to have some configured gas pedal levels and timing to go in higher acceleration in order to smooth the fuel consumption. So it you press a bit more on the pedal due to a bump or whatever, it will ignore it to keep the gas consumption to the same level.

I got used to those levels of how much to press the pedal to get the response I want. So I find the acceleration OK,
In eco mode, the response time is slower to determine "ok that's really what the driver wants" when pressing more on the pedal. Do not use on the highway to be able to do an safe passing.
In normal mode, that response time is a bit decreased, but the power output per gaz pedal level is the same.

The only mode where all software filters are removed and you get sheer engine response, it is in Sport mode. But you will find the gas gauge to go down much faster too as it will keep the transmission in lower gears to give more torque and power...
Thanks, quick question: I drive in Normal mode still i get ECO green light below BSM and rear traffic alert light, is ECO green display different from ECO mode? i know when its in ECO mode you get big ECO written in center of your speedometer dash.
Old 09-24-18, 11:52 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Thanks, quick question: I drive in Normal mode still i get ECO green light below BSM and rear traffic alert light, is ECO green display different from ECO mode? i know when its in ECO mode you get big ECO written in center of your speedometer dash.

It will still show in normal mode if you are still in the eco zone. The only time it is not showing is in Sport mode.
The following users liked this post:
lexusnav (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 11:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,819 Posts

That doesn't sound right unless something changed from my 2017. I have the BSM, RCTA and parking sensor green lights but that's it.
Old 09-24-18, 12:01 PM
lexusnav
Driver School Candidate

That doesn't sound right unless something changed from my 2017. I have the BSM, RCTA and parking sensor green lights but that's it.
Probably as i have all those and then when car is driving smoothly i get that ECO green light.
Old 09-24-18, 12:29 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Probably as i have all those and then when car is driving smoothly i get that ECO green light.
Nothing wrong there.

Go on the Eco screen on you console. You will see that the ECO green light is lit when you are in the green range around the globe.

Old 09-24-18, 12:50 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 377 Posts

You sure? I get the green ECO light while in Normal Mode if I'm just driving around easily. If I get on it, ECO goes out. No ECO light in Sport Mode.
Old 09-24-18, 01:00 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe the green ECO light can also be turned off in the dash display options, could be why you don't see it.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)