RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 09:49 AM
bodis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, my wife also drives it...
Old 11-26-18, 01:17 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bodis
yes, my wife also drives it...
My opinion is if there's two or more drivers who regularly drive the car the transmission, with its learning function, is constantly learning different driving styles. So if one person drives it hard, the other drives it gently it's trying to adjust and "getting confused". That's just my opinion - but then you said you had a 2016 which didn't have the issue, so that may have blown my theory out of the water. Did both of you drive the 2016 as well. Have you had the ECU reset to get it back to factory and start the learning afresh.
Old 11-26-18, 01:25 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
My opinion is if there's two or more drivers who regularly drive the car the transmission, with its learning function, is constantly learning different driving styles. So if one person drives it hard, the other drives it gently it's trying to adjust and "getting confused". That's just my opinion - but then you said you had a 2016 which didn't have the issue, so that may have blown my theory out of the water. Did both of you drive the 2016 as well. Have you had the ECU reset to get it back to factory and start the learning afresh.
I am pretty sure that 4th-Gen RX does not have an adaptive transmission, so no learning. If you have any info, or a manual reference on the adaptive transmission in our vehicles , I would love to have it.
The following users liked this post:
bodis (11-26-18)
Old 11-26-18, 01:25 PM
bodis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, i'll try the reset
Old 11-26-18, 04:01 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
I am pretty sure that 4th-Gen RX does not have an adaptive transmission, so no learning. If you have any info, or a manual reference on the adaptive transmission in our vehicles , I would love to have it.
Maybe different models have/don't have but mine's Australian RX 350 F-Sport 2016.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-question.html

Here's a screenshot from the US manual about the AI Shift (Artificial Intelligence Shift) as Toyota/Lexus call it.

The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (11-26-18)
Old 01-07-19, 09:59 AM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Reset

I have read a few posts about transmission reset and only found one way to reset transmission in RX350 - disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes. I saw several sites mentioning the removal of EFI fuse for 30 seconds to do the same, but did not see any notes of it here. Is it possible to reset transmission that way on 4th gen RX?
Old 01-07-19, 02:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by dunyamunya
I have read a few posts about transmission reset and only found one way to reset transmission in RX350 - disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes. I saw several sites mentioning the removal of EFI fuse for 30 seconds to do the same, but did not see any notes of it here. Is it possible to reset transmission that way on 4th gen RX?
Why do you feel the need to do this?
Old 01-08-19, 06:28 AM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

There are times when transmission hesitates and gas usage is low. Wanted to reset and see if there is any difference. I have seen where, for example, BMW had 20 m/g usage before reset and 24 after.
Old 01-08-19, 07:20 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

There are times when transmission hesitates and gas usage is low. Wanted to reset and see if there is any difference. I have seen where, for example, BMW had 20 m/g usage before reset and 24 after.
Not likely! MPG is directly related to performance, the best way to reset the transmission to improve MPG is your right foot.
Old 01-08-19, 04:20 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

I have read a thread on here somewhere about resetting the tranny by removing the correct fuses, two I think. Keep searching around the forum and hopefully you should come across it. My car was a used one. 18,000 km, long story but my transmission was messed up, had it reset by the dealer and made a world of difference.
Old 01-08-19, 05:06 PM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

I have read a thread on here somewhere about resetting the tranny by removing the correct fuses, two I think. Keep searching around the forum and hopefully you should come across it. My car was a used one. 18,000 km, long story but my transmission was messed up, had it reset by the dealer and made a world of difference.
This is what I'm trying to figure out, but nothing in rx 4th gen posts. Previous years, yes, but not current.
Old 01-08-19, 08:07 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

This is what I'm trying to figure out, but nothing in rx 4th gen posts. Previous years, yes, but not current.
Sorry - this is what I read but as you say not 4th Gen, although I suspect it would be the same procedure.

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...our-ecu-363500
Old 01-08-19, 08:38 PM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

Sorry - this is what I read but as you say not 4th Gen, although I suspect it would be the same procedure.

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...our-ecu-363500
Yap, that's the post I saw, but wanted to post here to make sure same procedure applies to 4th gen RX. I guess the only way to find out is to try...
Old 01-09-19, 05:25 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate this so much. It happens all the time when the car is still cold but i have to leave right away.
Old 01-09-19, 09:36 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It's my understanding that Lexus vehicles do not have adaptive transmissions. They do not learn driving habits therefore there is nothing to reset.

There apparently have been some BMW (and Benz) models that do have adaptive transmissions. But those models seem to only adapt the transmission's shifting pattern based on the last 20 or so shifts. So, it's more of a real-time adaptation in racing situations.

Or are you talking about something other than adaptive transmissions?

Is there any information from the manufacturer that Lexus models have adaptive transmissions?

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)