RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 11:27 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Well I think we are arguing over semantic interpretation, whether we call the transmission adaptive, AI or whatever else, it does learn the way you drive and behaves accordingly. What is not clear or known is what happens if there is more than one driver,
No, I'm ultimately arguing that resetting the ECU does not change transmission behavior. This is the main point I'm trying to make. Do you agree or disagree with that statement, or don't really know for sure?

I am arguing that the transmission does not learn, per-se, not in any meaningful sense of the word learn. It obviously responds in real-time to real-time inputs from the driver and other various road conditions such as wheel slippage, etc., but nowhere does any official Lexus documentation say it learns the driver's style, and thus, records data values that can be deleted with an ECU reset.
Old 01-18-19, 11:36 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Htony
Car can recognize 2 smart fobs. I have no idea it'll let learn two driving profiles. In my case I am the only one driving my car.
Last night I searched Youtube about this. When I use Mercedes Benz as keyword there were many hits, for Lexus I did not
get any.
Lexus cars do not learn two driving profiles controlled by different key fobs. Lexus would state such an important feature in their marketing literature if it was a feature, wouldn't they? God forbid I used my wife's key and got in a crash because it upshifted too soon and I couldn't get across traffic. I'd think different key fob assignment would normally just be used for seat, mirror positioning and such. What if we both got in the car with our key fobs? How would the car know who's driving?
Old 01-18-19, 11:39 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

If you keep putting the gear box into learn mode repeatedly the refinement gets even better.
How do you put the gearbox in learn mode?

Old 01-18-19, 11:48 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Machine13
No, I'm ultimately arguing that resetting the ECU does not change transmission behavior. This is the main point I'm trying to make. Do you agree or disagree with that statement, or don't really know for sure?
I am arguing that the transmission does not learn, per-se, not in any meaningful sense of the word learn. It obviously responds in real-time to real-time inputs from the driver and other various road conditions such as wheel slippage, etc., but nowhere does any official Lexus documentation say it learns the driver's style, and thus, records data values that can be deleted with an ECU reset.
I don't know about the ECU, but I suspect it does nothing for the transmission, but do know about the TCU, the latter upon reset has to re-learn the way you drive.
Old 01-18-19, 11:52 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

I don't know about the ECU, but I suspect it does nothing for the transmission, but do know about the TCU, the latter upon reset has to re-learn the way you drive.
Did you read that in any official Lexus documentation, website, brochures, tech bulletins, etc.?
Old 01-18-19, 12:12 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

When you say resetting ECU, by which means? Disconnecting battery or initializing ECU by grounding momemtarily grounding master clear line? If battery is disconnected
TCU gets reset too. I wonder if you are thinking in terms of legacy older style gear box which is strictly mechanical. Most todays gear box is under the control of software
with some intelligence. If you have newer vehicle like 2016 RX or newer, try it your self.
Old 01-18-19, 12:18 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

It is interesting to note that several folks have noticed a difference in shifting patterns after an ECU reset. The only way to really definitively answer the ECU reset effect, is to know how long the AI-SHIFT data remains in the computer. I have no idea, but experience with my two RX's seems to indicate that they shift differently from day to day (and the shifting in both sucks). I think the data is lost when the vehicle is turned off. ECU reset is done by disconnecting the battery.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 01-18-19 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Machine13 (01-18-19)
Old 01-18-19, 12:23 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

How do you put the gearbox in learn mode?
Easiest way is to disconnect battery setting everything back to defalt on ECU and TCU?
Some other cars let driver perform some steps in the driver's seat like Benz cars it takes
~10 mins. Please remember today's tranny is electro mechanical box under software(firmware)
control in conjunction with ECU utilizing things like dog clutches, solenoids, sensor, etc.
Old 01-18-19, 12:36 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Did you read that in any official Lexus documentation, website, brochures, tech bulletins, etc.?
I've had enough of this!! You keep believing what you want!
Old 01-18-19, 12:46 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
It is interesting to note that several folks have noticed a difference in shifting patterns after an ECU reset. The only way to really definitively answer the ECU reset effect, is to know how long the AI-SHIFT data remains in the computer. I have no idea, but experience with my two RX's seems to indicate that they shift differently from day to day (and the shifting in both sucks). I think the data is lost when the vehicle is turned off. ECU reset is done by disconnecting the battery.
rxtimes2 – I appreciate your responses. I’ve looked back on your posts in this thread and I think you and I seem to be in virtual agreement.

I only question that the ECU or TCU saves any of this type of data at all, even if it’s until the vehicle is turned off. I don’t think the data would even need to be saved that long for AI-Shift to function the way Lexus describes it, in virtual real-time, using at most just the past few seconds’ worth of data. I know neither of us are saying we know the answer, but others are implying they know the answer but they are unable to provide anything other than what sounds like speculation.
Old 01-18-19, 12:47 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Easiest way is to disconnect battery setting everything back to defalt on ECU and TCU?
Some other cars let driver perform some steps in the driver's seat like Benz cars it takes
~10 mins. Please remember today's tranny is electro mechanical box under software(firmware)
control in conjunction with ECU utilizing things like dog clutches, solenoids, sensor, etc.
Some MB's apparently actually have adaptive transmissions. The reset procedure from sitting in the drivers seat appears to be for those models that have adaptive transmissions.
Old 01-18-19, 12:52 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Some MB's apparently actually have adaptive transmissions. The reset procedure from sitting in the drivers seat appears to be for those models that have adaptive transmissions.
Of course MB always embrace leading technology leading the pack.. I notice you got a newer RX, why don't you try yourself?
Or dump the ECU software and look at it. Linux or C language based.
Old 01-18-19, 12:55 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

I've had enough of this!! You keep believing what you want!
You too. To be honest, I knew you'd break down trying to respond to that, because you can't actually provide any evidence, because whether you realize it or not, you're just providing conjecture. I was only looking for evidence, was that too much to ask for? Still no one has provided any. Sorry if it upset you.
Old 01-18-19, 12:59 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Of course MB always embrace leading technology leading the pack.. I notice you got a newer RX, why don't you try yourself?
Or dump the ECU software and look at it. Linux or C language based.
I'm not sophisticated enough to dump the ECU software and scour through it. Doubt anyone here is. I'm under the impression it's encrypted anyway.

Any idea on if I did unplug the battery to reset the ECU/TCU how I would be able to tell whether any data that may or may not have been saved was deleted?
Old 01-18-19, 07:22 PM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Benson I'd still check with your dealer just to be sure!
Just got my car back from the dealer and I am 100% satisfied with this fix. My car doesn’t feel jerky and no hesitation on acceleration now.. The tech didn’t do the battery reset thing so I did lose the Sport Plus mode. Went back right away and they fixed it.. I did lose some of my car settings but not the radio presets. Car is a pleasure to drive now.

My dealer didn’t know anything about this TSB lol.. luckily I printed it out and showed them. This was done at Lexus of Royal Oak in Calgary..

Last edited by BensonTT; 01-18-19 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)