RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 04:09 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I have the exact same issue with my F sport
Does your f sport vibrate at 13-1400rpm? I test drive a rx350 last week just to see what people are complaining about. And oh boy, did it vibrates. Especially around the floor. It fells like when I first learn how to drive a manual transmission. It's like going 10mph in firths gear and dropping it to 4th gear instead of 2nd. The whole car vibrate. I can't believe Lexus don't acknowledge this and fix it.
Old 11-08-16, 05:27 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 583 Likes on 410 Posts

It has a drone and exhaust vibration when I I'm light I the accelerator.

It might be a known issue with some dealers. They just choose to ignore it, hoping it goes away or people get tired of complaining.

They probably fix it for 5RX.
Old 11-08-16, 05:56 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Don't tell me the f sport had the drone and vibration to. I was going to look at that next.

Some of these salesman think just b/c it has the Lexus logo in the front that the car is perfect. My salesman keep saying how smooth and quiet this RX is.
Old 11-08-16, 06:00 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Overall, it's not too bad. It does not bother me to much. It goes away if you drive in normal our sport mode.

I do really like the smooth ride and drive. I think this is adv opportunity for improvement for Lexus. Would not be a site stopper for me.

Try the 17. That might be better.
Old 11-09-16, 09:30 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I had mentioned it in another thread, but it appears to me that the droning/vibration is more prevalent when the engine/transmission is cold and trying to warm up. Especially in Normal mode, when the transmission logic tries to reduce the revs by upshifting early; but at the same time, the engine warmup logic is trying to keep the revs up. It causes the whole thing to bog down especially in gears 3-4.

Switching to Eco or Sport mode alleviates this gear-hunting issue, until it warms up fully (usually after 10-15 mins). At the same time, after 3 months and 8000km (5000 mi), it appears the tranny has finally "learned" my driving style - I've noticed that it's holding on to gear 3 a bit longer in the warmup cycle, so I barely get the droning/bogging anymore even in Normal mode.

I don't believe it's any different between F-Sport and regular RX - engine and tranny are the same for both after all.
Old 11-09-16, 09:47 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

No drone or noticeable vibration here yet, but I do feel the transmission is very slow to accelerate from zero in normal mode if I take it easy on the pedal. The shifts themselves are very smooth. The amount of shifting is a bit ridiculous though. The transmission still wants to upshift at 1400 rpm doing city cruising at 60 km/h. Sport mode solves this problem as it holds the gears a bit longer. Hopefully the shift logic programming adapts soon.
Old 11-10-16, 10:14 AM
Gibster
Driver

Originally Posted by clwu
This is from Lexus website.
"Ratings achieved using the required premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher. If premium fuel is not used, performance will decrease."

Apparently, even though Lexus promote 87 Octane as an incentive to buy the RX 350, they actually recommend higher octane for better performance.
People that switched to premium and felt better performance, it's not a placebo effect.

Go here for the source:
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/speci...350-awd#engine

Scroll down until you see "7.9 SEC"

Click on "0-60 MPH"
The popup detail no longer mentions premium fuel.

I know my '05 did suggest using premium for best performance. I found an increase in MPG using premium but the difference in price between the regular and premium grades exceeded the MPG gain. Back around '05 the price difference between grades was much less. It used to be a $.10 difference between regular and silver and another $.10 between silver and premium. The difference between regular and premium now is much greater. I think gas stations are taking advantage of the increase in turbos that require the higher grade gas.
Old 11-10-16, 12:05 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I have the exact same issue with my F sport
same exact problem.
Old 11-10-16, 12:08 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Don't tell me the f sport had the drone and vibration to. I was going to look at that next.

Some of these salesman think just b/c it has the Lexus logo in the front that the car is perfect. My salesman keep saying how smooth and quiet this RX is.
no problem with my f sport regarding ride and noise. The shifts are the bad part. Car can feel like a bad turbo with its non linear and surging power delivery. It's not the engine. All transmission programming. Same with non f sport 350 loaners I've driven.

If lexus does come out with a trans firmware re flash in the next few months, we will ditch this car.
Old 11-10-16, 12:26 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Originally Posted by s4iscool
no problem with my f sport regarding ride and noise. The shifts are the bad part. Car can feel like a bad turbo with its non linear and surging power delivery. It's not the engine. All transmission programming. Same with non f sport 350 loaners I've driven.

If lexus does come out with a trans firmware re flash in the next few months, we will ditch this car.
What are you going to get.

Very low chance of them coming out with new firmware. Don't get me wrong, would love to see them improve. But they probably do it only for the mid cycle refresh.

I hear people complaining about the same thing on the 3gen f sport 8 speed. I don't think Lexus fix that either.
Old 11-10-16, 01:30 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

I think they might...i recall reading that the Tacoma got an updated firmware for the poor transmission programming. If the 2017 drives differently, then a TSB could be issued. Hoping! Not sure what else to get because the F Sport has everything we want from a feature standpoint.
Old 11-10-16, 06:19 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

The highlander and Sienna are now getting the same transmission. Hoping that the volume will force them to come up with a software update.
Old 11-10-16, 07:17 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I think they might...i recall reading that the Tacoma got an updated firmware for the poor transmission programming. If the 2017 drives differently, then a TSB could be issued. Hoping! Not sure what else to get because the F Sport has everything we want from a feature standpoint.
Who can we notify at Lexus corporate about this issue? I've noticed this more frequently and feel (pardon my choice of word) retarded when driving. Did the 3RX ever display this symptom?
Old 11-11-16, 09:37 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Darith
Who can we notify at Lexus corporate about this issue? I've noticed this more frequently and feel (pardon my choice of word) retarded when driving. Did the 3RX ever display this symptom?
nope. My 3rx was incredibly smooth. Defined lexus smooth. I know what you mean about how you feel. Moderate to hard acceleration is great. If trying to drive economically in stop and go traffic is a frusrating experience. There are some corp customer service email addresses but they always ask to go to the dealer first which is a pain in the butt and waste of time to be told everything's normal. Make multiple trips....try all kinds of fuels, etc and test something lexus should have gotten right. Getting an advocate that cares from corp would be great.
Old 11-11-16, 11:42 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

nope. My 3rx was incredibly smooth. Defined lexus smooth. I know what you mean about how you feel. Moderate to hard acceleration is great. If trying to drive economically in stop and go traffic is a frusrating experience. There are some corp customer service email addresses but they always ask to go to the dealer first which is a pain in the butt and waste of time to be told everything's normal. Make multiple trips....try all kinds of fuels, etc and test something lexus should have gotten right. Getting an advocate that cares from corp would be great.
Did you have the F sport 8 speed in the 3rd gen or the 6 speed of the normal 3rd gen? The 3rd gen RX had an 8 speed which was terrible as well, but most SA and CAs claimed that was the intended design. Midcycle might see the 10 speed but who knows. Usually if its a severe problem, lexus will issue a tsb, but you need to be the "squeaky wheel"

Last edited by coolsaber; 11-11-16 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)