RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 11:30 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I love how the standard is 91. When I was in Germany they had the highest quality gas. 87 octane was unheard of. I can’t believe $6 a gallon is what you pay, how much does it cost to fill the car up? I’ll never put less then 93 in the car again
WE have massive price swings through a fortnight cycle, price goes up and down around 30 cents per litre (USD$1.00 per gallon), currently around the middle which is AUD$1.60 per litre for 95 OCT. So at that rate I fill up 60 litres (70 litre tank) is AUD$96.00 - $USD67. The price recently was AUD$1.80 per litre.
Old 05-11-19, 05:47 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Im sure this has been mentioned here plenty of times but it is insane to me lexus would recommend using regular gas in the same engine that always asked for premium, JUST to make the car appeal to soccer moms and the usual people who want buy the RX that wouldn’t buy it if they knew it required premium. It’s like a different car with 93 vs regular gas. Just in case anyone is having the hesitation or sluggish pedal response. Put some good 93 in there and you’ll feel the difference!
This is the same story! Lexus DOES NOT recommend 87 it says you MAY use 87.
It's kind of a warning not to go below that level of octane as the computer may not compensate, no such warning for going higher.
I agree with you and I use 91 or 94.
Someone here contacted Lexus and was told that their tests were done with premium gas, don't know if 91 0r 94 octane, though.
Old 05-11-19, 06:58 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
It's kind of a warning not to go below that level of octane as the computer may not compensate, no such warning for going higher.
Someone here contacted Lexus and was told that their tests were done with premium gas, don't know if 91 0r 94 octane, though.
This is a quote from hemmings.com ---- https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/0...-priced-fuels/ ---- which generally concludes that higher octane is not needed unless specified by the car manufacturer. "On modern computer-controlled cars with fuel injection, the computer is constantly monitoring fuel trim and detonation and making appropriate adjustments in the timing and fuel air mixture to compensate for engine knock"

The key question is does the change in engine timing from using higher octane fuel cause the transmission computer to behave differently?
Old 05-11-19, 07:32 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
The key question is does the change in engine timing from using higher octane fuel cause the transmission computer to behave differently?
That's a very good question! These days with electronic interconnections it probably does, this is an empirical observation on my part.
I just recently discovered that the HVAC takes into consideration, not only the setting, but also if you have the seats heat on and regulates the amount of heat & for how long it will be on. It makes the ambient really comfortable, but there is something in me that longs for the control to be returned to...me!
Old 05-11-19, 07:48 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

That's a very good question! These days with electronic interconnections it probably does, this is an empirical observation on my part.
I just recently discovered that the HVAC takes into consideration, not only the setting, but also if you have the seats heat on and regulates the amount of heat & for how long it will be on. It makes the ambient really comfortable, but there is something in me that longs for the control to be returned to...me!
With the various computers transferring data on the CAN Bus throughout the system, I would agree that the transmission computer might just change the shifting pattern. I will test my empirical capabilities and put a few tanks of high octane through the vehicle. Thanks Cocal.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 08:02 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
With the various computers transferring data on the CAN Bus throughout the system, I would agree that the transmission computer might just change the shifting pattern. I will test my empirical capabilities and put a few tanks of high octane through the vehicle. Thanks Cocal.
Great RXTimes, let us know what you observe.
Old 05-13-19, 09:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...xus-vehicle%3F

RecommendedMinimumOctane Rating: 87 350/91 450h

Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than what is listed for your model year vehicle may result in engine knocking.
If the octane rating used is less than required, damage to the engine may occur and may void the vehicle warranty.
GSFRX350 (05-14-19)
Old 05-14-19, 02:18 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than what is listed for your model year vehicle may result in engine knocking.
If the octane rating used is less than required, damage to the engine may occur and may void the vehicle warranty.

Yep, and the official US Dept. of Energy Fuel Economy Tests are done with Regular gas for the RX 350 and Premium Gas for the RX 450h

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...RX&srchtyp=ymm
rxtimes2 (05-14-19)
Old 05-14-19, 09:11 AM
Cocal
Racer

There is confusion; in that doc that you provide the link for it does say recommended, but this is what's in my owner's manual:

Select octane rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 87 may result in engine knocking. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage.

This is NOT a recommendation, but a warning not to go below 87. I imagine that if one goes below 87 the computer could not compensate.

So here we have two documents saying the same thing, but with different meanings. In the end one does what one think it's best.

coolsaber (05-15-19)
Old 05-15-19, 06:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

In agreement. The computer is designed to run from 87+ in the 350, so unless you put in diesel (happens to the best of us) or live in a high alt climate (I have heard Denver gets 85 seasonally?) no really way to go wrong with any tier of gasoline widely available.

Now the bigger question is most engineers on interviews have written about power numbers, and octane the vehicle was designed for; vehicles performance is best suited with the octane number the engineers designed the motor to run with, and you are wasting money by pumping in more expensive or cheaper gas. With Lexus stating anything 87 and above, which did they use? Its cut and dry for other vehicles like the GX or even LX where they specify a single octane (the motors are used in other vehicles where they are spec`d for lower octane and have different power numbers). The same motor in the RX is used elsewhere where 87 is the go to.
Old 05-15-19, 08:42 AM
Cocal
Racer

Now the bigger question is most engineers on interviews have written about power numbers, and octane the vehicle was designed for; vehicles performance is best suited with the octane number the engineers designed the motor to run with, and you are wasting money by pumping in more expensive or cheaper gas. With Lexus stating anything 87 and above, which did they use?.
Great question !!! I did not do this, but a forum poster, quite a few months ago, said that he did contact Lexus and they told him that all tests were done with 91 octane. I believe that was from Lexus Canada, am not certain.
I can't remember his name nor the date or subject heading alas. I tend to believe this as in every other country the recommended octane is 91 minimum.
Old 05-16-19, 06:29 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

Great question !!! I did not do this, but a forum poster, quite a few months ago, said that he did contact Lexus and they told him that all tests were done with 91 octane. I believe that was from Lexus Canada, am not certain.
I can't remember his name nor the date or subject heading alas. I tend to believe this as in every other country the recommended octane is 91 minimum.
Over the years, there have been many posters on here that claimed to have called car manufacturers, tire companies etc, and have gotten conflicting answers. I believe they didn't reach the right people and are just given any answer they think you want to hear. JMHO.
Old 05-16-19, 07:43 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Over the years, there have been many posters on here that claimed to have called car manufacturers, tire companies etc, and have gotten conflicting answers. I believe they didn't reach the right people and are just given any answer they think you want to hear. JMHO.
The only reason why I do give credence to that poster is that elsewhere in the world they use 91. Here in North America they dumb-down all maintenance to a non optimal level, that applies to all makes.
Old 05-16-19, 08:01 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

https://www.economist.com/babbage/20...-needs-premium

In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States.
Old 06-12-19, 07:46 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

I bought a new 2018 RX-350 F-Sport to replace my 2015 after it was wrecked. I reported the "hesitation" issue to the service manager at my dealer when I took it in for the 10K miles maintenance. He said (with NO hesitation), "new transmission". I believe it, because I have been mixing 87 and 93 octane gas for awhile and raising the octane that way makes absolutely zero difference. I always drive it in sport mode, but that also makes little or no difference.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)