RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 08:52 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I bought a new 2018 RX-350 F-Sport to replace my 2015 after it was wrecked. I reported the "hesitation" issue to the service manager at my dealer when I took it in for the 10K miles maintenance. He said (with NO hesitation), "new transmission". I believe it, because I have been mixing 87 and 93 octane gas for awhile and raising the octane that way makes absolutely zero difference. I always drive it in sport mode, but that also makes little or no difference.
I drive my 2019 RX 350L with 8 spd trans in sport mode 100% of the time; no hesitation. No problem. No worries.
The following 2 users liked this post by xxx350L:
Cocal (06-12-19), GSFRX350 (06-12-19)
Old 06-12-19, 09:56 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
I drive my 2019 RX 350L with 8 spd trans in sport mode 100% of the time; no hesitation. No problem. No worries.
Hmmmm. Possibly they tweaked the 8 spd. transmission design, and/or the software that controls it, for 2019, as a result of hearing customer complaints about it. Given their warranty liability, they apparently don't consider the issue to be a reliability threat, or they would do a recall to correct it.
Old 06-12-19, 10:16 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Hmmmm. Possibly they tweaked the 8 spd. transmission design, and/or the software that controls it, for 2019, as a result of hearing customer complaints about it. Given their warranty liability, they apparently don't consider the issue to be a reliability threat, or they would do a recall to correct it.
I own a 2017 F sport, have gotten loaners that are 2018 and 2019 and honestly the 2019 RXL had a very laggy transmission so it appears that they did not fix it. The 2019 felt sort of like my 2017 did before the TSB update. The pedal felt much heavier too, not as responsive as my 2017. Not sure if the throttle mapping is different in f sports versus regular. Seems like it would be as the TSB has a different update number for F sports. Also, the 2019 is not a new transmission so what did the dealer mean when they told you that? I hated the mapping on the 2019. The 2018 drove nice though, go figure. Could have been the 18” wheels since the RX was designed with them. Just keep it in sport mode and it drives amazing, the transmission gets confused in normal mode too often. I never have problems in sport mode. You feel the gear hunting when your in the lower gears in normal mode, shifts up and down too much. Sport mode I don’t feel anything as it’s always staying in the lower gear ready for you to press the gas with instant response.

Your 2018 F sport has hesitation even in sport mode?

also - DONT mix the gas, use ONLY 93 from a quality gas station like shell. You will notice the difference. The car in normal mode always tries to learn the shifting habits and save gas by keeping the car in low RPM. First few tanks of 93 the car felt like a rocket, then once it adjusted to the octane it went back to normal low rpm sluggish response. However it is still much better then with regular gas. Sport mode must eliminate that transmission learning your shifting because I don’t have issues in sport mode. If the car didn’t have sport mode I wouldn’t be able to live with it. In city traffic the hesitation is the most annoying.

Last edited by DMPesso; 06-12-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 10:36 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Mine 2017 has occasionally a slight hesitation in normal mode none whatsoever in sports mode so whenever I'm in the city and need instant response that's how I drive it.
Old 06-12-19, 10:43 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cocal
Mine 2017 has occasionally a slight hesitation in normal mode none whatsoever in sports mode so whenever I'm in the city and need instant response that's how I drive it.
Yup same here. Highway is fine but city driving I always use sport mode.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (06-12-19)
Old 06-12-19, 10:51 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I own a 2017 F sport, have gotten loaners that are 2018 and 2019 and honestly the 2019 RXL had a very laggy transmission so it appears that they did not fix it. The 2019 felt sort of like my 2017 did before the TSB update. The pedal felt much heavier too, not as responsive as my 2017. Not sure if the throttle mapping is different in f sports versus regular. Seems like it would be as the TSB has a different update number for F sports. Also, the 2019 is not a new transmission so what did the dealer mean when they told you that? I hated the mapping on the 2019. The 2018 drove nice though, go figure. Could have been the 18” wheels since the RX was designed with them. Just keep it in sport mode and it drives amazing, the transmission gets confused in normal mode too often. I never have problems in sport mode. You feel the gear hunting when your in the lower gears in normal mode, shifts up and down too much. Sport mode I don’t feel anything as it’s always staying in the lower gear ready for you to press the gas with instant response.

Your 2018 F sport has hesitation even in sport mode?

also - DONT mix the gas, use ONLY 93 from a quality gas station like shell. You will notice the difference. The car in normal mode always tries to learn the shifting habits and save gas by keeping the car in low RPM. First few tanks of 93 the car felt like a rocket, then once it adjusted to the octane it went back to normal low rpm sluggish response. However it is still much better then with regular gas. Sport mode must eliminate that transmission learning your shifting because I don’t have issues in sport mode. If the car didn’t have sport mode I wouldn’t be able to live with it. In city traffic the hesitation is the most annoying.
I’ve got a 2019 RX350L with 8 speed, and it’s definitely not “laggy” as you put it. I came from a 2018 BMW X3 M40i with a ZF 8 spd, and though we’re talking apples and oranges, I was use to very quick positive shifts in the Bimmer. The RX in sport mode is, IMO, equivalent to the Bimmer “comfort” mode, but not laggy. If there’s any laggy, it’s in the power band and no torque. Drivability is fine for a comfort cruiser. And on the gas issue, use Tier 1. Period.
Old 06-12-19, 11:02 AM
dibl
Instructor

Thanks DMPesso -- I am going to try straight 91 octane from Shell for awhile. I always put it in sport mode. I actually love the car -- such a pleasure to drive, especially on rural roads with hills and valleys. The "hesitation" is only noticeable on gentle/normal accelerations in the 15-40 mph range. Harder accelerations proceed as expected. I never notice it during freeway driving. BTW, my 2018 gets better gas mileage than my 2015 ever did -- I have seen over 25 mpg on day trips that were mostly on state and county roads. My interpretation of the service manager's comment was "I hear that a lot from the customers with the newer 8 spd. transmission -- it is a known phenomenon that I can't do anything about."
Old 06-12-19, 11:17 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xxx350L
I’ve got a 2019 RX350L with 8 speed, and it’s definitely not “laggy” as you put it. I came from a 2018 BMW X3 M40i with a ZF 8 spd, and though we’re talking apples and oranges, I was use to very quick positive shifts in the Bimmer. The RX in sport mode is, IMO, equivalent to the Bimmer “comfort” mode, but not laggy. If there’s any laggy, it’s in the power band and no torque. Drivability is fine for a comfort cruiser. And on the gas issue, use Tier 1. Period.
i meant laggy in normal mode only. The gas pedal just felt harder to push then the 2017 f sport. But yea in sport mode it’s great. If you enjoy it coming from a BMW then that’s amazing.

Thanks DMPesso -- I am going to try straight 91 octane from Shell for awhile. I always put it in sport mode. I actually love the car -- such a pleasure to drive, especially on rural roads with hills and valleys. The "hesitation" is only noticeable on gentle/normal accelerations in the 15-40 mph range. Harder accelerations proceed as expected. I never notice it during freeway driving. BTW, my 2018 gets better gas mileage than my 2015 ever did -- I have seen over 25 mpg on day trips that were mostly on state and county roads. My interpretation of the service manager's comment was "I hear that a lot from the customers with the newer 8 spd. transmission -- it is a known phenomenon that I can't do anything about."

Forget 91, use 93. The higher the better. I love the car also, thank god it has sport mode. Most definitely in the lower gears and under 40mph like you say I notice the hesitation but not in sport mode. Anytime there’s traffic or it’s not rural driving I use sport mode and it solves any hesitation. The f sport is really fun to drive in sport +. Love the car also besides the hesitation. Sport mode makes up for it
Cocal (06-12-19)
Old 06-12-19, 11:24 AM
907rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The fuel industry really did everyone a disservice by calling higher octane fuel “premium”. The octane rating has nothing to do with the quality of fuel and more to do with how easily it is to ignited. The higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite. Higher compression motors need higher octane to prevent pre-detonation (the fuel can ignite from being compressed rather than from a spark plug when the motor intends for that cylinder to fire). If people are noticing a difference it’s either placebo or bad engineering on Toyota/Lexus. Looks like the compression ratio on the 3.5l is around 11.8:1 that does seem pretty high for 87 octane. It may be pulling a bunch of timing to compensate? I have only had a week with my new to me 2017 RX 350 so I will try pay close attention to how she drives on 87 which is what I’ve been using.
The following 2 users liked this post by 907rx:
chance4u (06-13-19), Cocal (06-12-19)
Old 06-12-19, 11:27 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by DMPesso
i
Forget 91, use 93. The higher the better. I love the car also, thank god it has sport mode. Most definitely in the lower gears and under 40mph like you say I notice the hesitation but not in sport mode. Anytime there’s traffic or it’s not rural driving I use sport mode and it solves any hesitation. The f sport is really fun to drive in sport +. Love the car also besides the hesitation. Sport mode makes up for it
I've always used 91 as for my driving it's OK, but if I wanted better response I'd definitely go up to 93. The whole engine feels better when the CPU doesn't have to retard ignition at least that's how it feels to me.
Old 06-12-19, 11:35 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by 907rx
The fuel industry really did everyone a disservice by calling higher octane fuel “premium”. The octane rating has nothing to do with the quality of fuel and more to do with how easily it is to ignited. The higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite. Higher compression motors need higher octane to prevent pre-detonation (the fuel can ignite from being compressed rather than from a spark plug when the motor intends for that cylinder to fire). If people are noticing a difference it’s either placebo or bad engineering on Toyota/Lexus. Looks like the compression ratio on the 3.5l is around 11.8:1 that does seem pretty high for 87 octane. It may be pulling a bunch of timing to compensate? I have only had a week with my new to me 2017 RX 350 so I will try pay close attention to how she drives on 87 which is what I’ve been using.
Exactly! Lexus upon inquiry by a member here did say that they used 91 on all their tests, but you can't make the blind see.
There are those that even say that Lexus "recommends" 87 just because the manual it says that one can go as low 87 (after which the CPU cannot compensate) and instead of heeding the warning they see it as a must, no such warning for higher octane. I suppose to each his own and also it depends whether one owns or leases.
Old 06-12-19, 03:15 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

I bought a new 2018 RX-350 F-Sport to replace my 2015 after it was wrecked. I reported the "hesitation" issue to the service manager at my dealer when I took it in for the 10K miles maintenance. He said (with NO hesitation), "new transmission". I believe it, because I have been mixing 87 and 93 octane gas for awhile and raising the octane that way makes absolutely zero difference. I always drive it in sport mode, but that also makes little or no difference.
So, did you get a new transmission? If so, did it fix the problem?
Old 06-12-19, 04:21 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transmission TSB coming ?

My dealer called me today and said the Transmission issue of gear searching should be resolved in the next week or so. (Maybe!). Will keep you informed.
rxtimes2 (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 02:01 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transmission TSB coming ?

My dealer called me today and said the Transmission issue of gear searching and jerking may or should be resolved in the next week or so. (Maybe!). Will keep you informed. Check with your dealer.
rxtimes2 (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 04:12 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevemcb
My dealer called me today and said the Transmission issue of gear searching should be resolved in the next week or so. (Maybe!). Will keep you informed.
Fingers crossed!

@ravenuer, no, he was referring to the newer 8 speed transmission, not that I was going to get a new one.

I'm going to try a tank or two of 93 octane Shell gas, but if the "hesitation" is truly due to transmission programming, I do not expect that the grade of gasoline is going to have any effect on it.
ravenuer (06-13-19)

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)