RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 03:55 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts

Symphony,that's my next step since my wife's ES came from there.
Old 07-17-19, 04:16 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
PWMDMD, the bucking seems to be only when the car is first started in the morning and leaving the driveway with a light throttle. The dealership cannot make it happen because they are on a very busy 4 lane road, which is rt 9, so you cannot leave their place without hitting the gas to move with traffic. This is why maybe they can't produce the bucking, your going too fast in the first place. So, they should be telling me this instead of refusing to apply the TSB.
Common sense you think????
This is exactly the problem I have sometimes. Only when the car is cold the throttle feels extremely sensitive and has a tendency to surge. It’s annoying but manageable. Especially with auto start.
Old 07-17-19, 04:53 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
PWMDMD, the bucking seems to be only when the car is first started in the morning and leaving the driveway with a light throttle. The dealership cannot make it happen because they are on a very busy 4 lane road, which is rt 9, so you cannot leave their place without hitting the gas to move with traffic. This is why maybe they can't produce the bucking, your going too fast in the first place. So, they should be telling me this instead of refusing to apply the TSB.
Common sense you think????
I bought my Lexus there too. Is it really an issue if it only happens when the transmission is cold? I have driven MANY cars where the transmission shifts were harsher when the transmission was cold. My current 2018 Pilot 9-speed included. I'm experiencing a harsh 1-2 shift even after the transmission is warmed up and a harsh downshift when accelerating hard....again when the transmission is at operating temp. I'll tell them at the 5K but honestly it's just not a big deal. I'll likely trade this car in 2-3 years anyway and as long as it's in tip-top trade-in shape what do I care?
Old 07-17-19, 05:48 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Talk about a different experience, I was in tor the 20k service this morning. My service advisor found the TSB and said no problem, we'll take of that. Why not do the drone TSB while you're at it and he said you need a part for that one, I'll order it and it will be done when you pick up your car. You loaner is parked out front.
Your dealer sucks, big time.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (07-17-19)
Old 07-17-19, 06:10 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Talk about a different experience, I was in tor the 20k service this morning. My service advisor found the TSB and said no problem, we'll take of that. Why not do the drone TSB while you're at it and he said you need a part for that one, I'll order it and it will be done when you pick up your car. You loaner is parked out front.
Your dealer sucks, big time.
That's how it should be.

I had a small rattle in the door, wasn't a big deal but thought they may know of it and how to fix. The service guy suggested his senior tech and I go out for a run to show him the rattle, we drove around for 20 minutes, seemed to have all the time in the world to help. That's the type of experience I expect and have received so far with Lexus, shame some dealers aren't playing the Lexus game.
Cocal (07-19-19)
Old 07-17-19, 07:12 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Had the TSB 0032-19 loaded today. Initial Impressions are favorable. We'll see how it behaves after a couple of days. To be continued.
Old 07-19-19, 10:42 AM
PCW
Pit Crew

I'm on day 3 of the latest TSB and driving in Normal mode and no hesitation or shifting issues! So far a favorable response.
ravenuer (07-19-19)
Old 07-21-19, 10:19 AM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone get the new TSB in Canada? Thanks guys
Old 07-22-19, 10:15 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Having gone through two ineffective TSBs on this issue (first and most recent), and reading the most recent TSB, Im starting to wonder if the ECM/PCM needs to be replaced on my car. I've always thought it was software related as I've driven many other RXs without the issue. Reprogramming has not worked, but I am convinced that Lexus knows the exact issue as the description they use is spot on. There are some days and some roads where the issues are less pronounced, but I still deal with the hesitation, bucking, and surging on a daily basis. It's refreshing to drive my 20 year old Toyota truck that has great throttle response and a smooth predictable transmission.
Old 07-22-19, 10:42 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Having gone through two ineffective TSBs on this issue (first and most recent), and reading the most recent TSB, Im starting to wonder if the ECM/PCM needs to be replaced on my car. I've always thought it was software related as I've driven many other RXs without the issue. Reprogramming has not worked, but I am convinced that Lexus knows the exact issue as the description they use is spot on. There are some days and some roads where the issues are less pronounced, but I still deal with the hesitation, bucking, and surging on a daily basis. It's refreshing to drive my 20 year old Toyota truck that has great throttle response and a smooth predictable transmission.
I know tell me about it. I miss the smooth powertrain on my 2001 GS430. Nothing beats the quality of the old Lexus’. It’s most definitely the programming since sport mode eliminates most issues. The TSB helped the hesitation by about 80%. Using 93 gas also helps a lot. Have you tried that? What year and model is your RX?
Old 07-23-19, 02:48 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

I'm now on day 7 of the latest TSB and all is good thus far.
Old 07-24-19, 04:53 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Re TSB 0032-19, here's my theory. We know that the bucking, and I use this word because it is in the title of the TSB, is more pronounced in eco and drive mode than it is in sport mode therefore many only drive in sport mode. I think that the newest TSB moves eco and drive towards sport and I say that because I feel that eco and drive are now more sensitive. In other words now when I step on the pedal I don't have to push as far to get the car moving, before it was dull and now it is a bit more sensitive. Is it now the same as sport mode, not even close.
At least this is my completely "subjective" theory. Does anyone else feel the same??
Old 07-24-19, 04:59 AM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Re TSB 0032-19, here's my theory. We know that the bucking, and I use this word because it is in the title of the TSB, is more pronounced in eco and drive mode than it is in sport mode therefore many only drive in sport mode. I think that the newest TSB moves eco and drive towards sport and I say that because I feel that eco and drive are now more sensitive. In other words now when I step on the pedal I don't have to push as far to get the car moving, before it was dull and now it is a bit more sensitive. Is it now the same as sport mode, not even close.
At least this is my completely "subjective" theory. Does anyone else feel the same??
Does it hold the gear like sport mode thou?
Old 07-24-19, 05:25 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Well all they will do or have done is change the mapping to be more like Sports mode, fuel consumption will suffer though - that's the reason Drive mode was/is like it is, to have a better fuel economy figure.

So has Sport mode changed at all do you know?
Old 07-24-19, 07:59 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Well all they will do or have done is change the mapping to be more like Sports mode, fuel consumption will suffer though - that's the reason Drive mode was/is like it is, to have a better fuel economy figure.

So has Sport mode changed at all do you know?
Just completed my 20k service, '17 f-sport.
Yes, I thought of that. I could not tell the difference in sport or sport+.
I recently experimented using 1 full tank in eco and 1 in sport, I did this twice in similar driving conditions. In one, eco was slightly better and in the other, sport was 1/2 mpg better. Not very scientific, but still I was surprised at the results. And even if eco was always slightly better, for me the mapping update would still be well worth it.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)