RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 08:49 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Just completed my 20k service, '17 f-sport.
Yes, I thought of that. I could not tell the difference in sport or sport+.
I recently experimented using 1 full tank in eco and 1 in sport, I did this twice in similar driving conditions. In one, eco was slightly better and in the other, sport was 1/2 mpg better. Not very scientific, but still I was surprised at the results. And even if eco was always slightly better, for me the mapping update would still be well worth it.
I Just found someone posted the TSB on this thread. Now I can show the dealer. Thank you very much.
Old 07-24-19, 12:38 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I Just found someone posted the TSB on this thread. Now I can show the dealer. Thank you very much.
They just called back. I asked them to apply the 0032-19 TSB while they had my car for some other work I was getting done. Got them to do the exhaust TSB for the droning, TSB on the rear trailing arms (squeaking over bumps in rear), replaced the fuel pump as well for the chirping noise at idle. I gave them the TSB for the bucking and they still told me it doesn’t apply to my car but he said they applied another update to the ECM or something like that. Does anyone know if this TSB covers ALL 2017 RX’s or only certain ones? This seems weird. They have the best service at this dealer so I don’t have any reason to believe they’re lying or putting me off.
Old 07-24-19, 02:47 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

They just called back. I asked them to apply the 0032-19 TSB while they had my car for some other work I was getting done. Got them to do the exhaust TSB for the droning, TSB on the rear trailing arms (squeaking over bumps in rear), replaced the fuel pump as well for the chirping noise at idle. I gave them the TSB for the bucking and they still told me it doesn’t apply to my car but he said they applied another update to the ECM or something like that. Does anyone know if this TSB covers ALL 2017 RX’s or only certain ones? This seems weird. They have the best service at this dealer so I don’t have any reason to believe they’re lying or putting me off.
Can you post the TSB for "the rear trailing arms (squeaking over bumps in rear)" and "replaced the fuel pump as well for the chirping noise at idle"? I have both of those issues. Come to think I my decked out RX has all of the issues. Geez.
Old 07-24-19, 06:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Here is everything they did. Seems each issue had a TSB. When I had called them the day after they took my car to ask if they can do the new bucking TSB 0032-19 they said they couldn’t because they already did another update. I guess when I complained originally about the hesitation they actually did the new TSB and the guy didn’t realize when he told me. I can not believe someone was denied of TSBs because they couldn’t replicate the problem. That’s absolutely pitiful service.

Originally Posted by gnguyen
Can you post the TSB for "the rear trailing arms (squeaking over bumps in rear)" and "replaced the fuel pump as well for the chirping noise at idle"? I have both of those issues. Come to think I my decked out RX has all of the issues. Geez.

Old 07-25-19, 02:29 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow DMPesso, can’t wait for a report on how the car does after all the work.
Old 07-25-19, 05:15 AM
technodis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for having all these issues on mine as well. I’ve hated this vehicle the most out of all the cars I have owned.
Old 07-25-19, 06:19 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Wow DMPesso, can’t wait for a report on how the car does after all the work.
I only drove it home an hour and it felt much more responsive that’s for sure. Definitely feels like they actually did the 0032-19 TSB. Drives more similar to the 2019 ES loaner I got. I purposely picked the ES to try the new TGNA chassis and see how the 8 speed transmission is tuned on that car. Definitely feels more solid after they did the alignment and replaced the trailing arms. No more chirping noise, so all is good there. Only thing is I’m not convinced the drone is 100% gone. If I drive normal I don’t really notice it but if I try to lug the engine and lightly press the gas when going up a hill or to maintain speed going over 70MPH, you get that slight drone and even feel a little something on the steering wheel. I have to drive it more to really see. It’s not THAT bad, I still love the car. The steering is so smooth so usually you don’t feel anything so the slightest vibration I would notice. Could just be normal. The ES you can feel the road slightly through the steering wheel so in comparison the RX isn’t that bad actually.

Originally Posted by technodis
+1 for having all these issues on mine as well. I’ve hated this vehicle the most out of all the cars I have owned.
yea I was starting to hate the car with all these problems but after getting everything fixed and now that’s its driving good (knock on wood) I love it.
Old 07-25-19, 09:28 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

I only drove it home an hour and it felt much more responsive that’s for sure. Definitely feels like they actually did the 0032-19 TSB. Drives more similar to the 2019 ES loaner I got. I purposely picked the ES to try the new TGNA chassis and see how the 8 speed transmission is tuned on that car. Definitely feels more solid after they did the alignment and replaced the trailing arms. No more chirping noise, so all is good there. Only thing is I’m not convinced the drone is 100% gone. If I drive normal I don’t really notice it but if I try to lug the engine and lightly press the gas when going up a hill or to maintain speed going over 70MPH, you get that slight drone and even feel a little something on the steering wheel. I have to drive it more to really see. It’s not THAT bad, I still love the car. The steering is so smooth so usually you don’t feel anything so the slightest vibration I would notice. Could just be normal. The ES you can feel the road slightly through the steering wheel so in comparison the RX isn’t that bad actually.

yea I was starting to hate the car with all these problems but after getting everything fixed and now that’s its driving good (knock on wood) I love it.
Hey thanks for posting the LSBs.

As I stated in the drone&vibration thread, this is an inherent design/issue in the 4th Gen RX, including RX450. I initially bought an 2019 RX450 and experienced the drone&vibration issue. I immediately returned it after 600 miles and incur a big financial hit. While test driving other RX450, 2 had the same issues. So I decided to test the RX350. The 1st 2 cars had the same issues. What are the odds of that? I test drove my current RX350 extensively and it had no problem during the test. However, 200 miles later I developed the issues. I think the issues were always there, but vary depending on temperature. It was a hot day, and I notice that on hot days the issues are minimal, but on days below 60 degrees, it drives me bonkers. In addition to the drone&vibration, I have the chirping sound from the rear, the squeaky suspension, and the clunking sound when I shift into R or D and it occurs about half of the time. The dealer said the shifting clunking sound is normal for this car. Go figure.

For those of you who would like to know whether you have the droning issue, open one and only one of the rear windows while traveling above 60MPH. The sound created by cavitation is defeating. Again, dealer told me it's normal for this car.
Old 07-25-19, 10:00 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

As I stated in the drone&vibration thread, this is an inherent design/issue in the 4th Gen RX, including RX450. I initially bought an 2019 RX450 and experienced the drone&vibration issue. I immediately returned it after 600 miles and incur a big financial hit. While test driving other RX450, 2 had the same issues. So I decided to test the RX350. The 1st 2 cars had the same issues. What are the odds of that? I test drove my current RX350 extensively and it had no problem during the test. However, 200 miles later I developed the issues. I think the issues were always there, but vary depending on temperature. It was a hot day, and I notice that on hot days the issues are minimal, but on days below 60 degrees, it drives me bonkers. In addition to the drone&vibration, I have the chirping sound from the rear, the squeaky suspension, and the clunking sound when I shift into R or D and it occurs about half of the time. The dealer said the shifting clunking sound is normal for this car. Go figure.

For those of you who would like to know whether you have the droning issue, open one and only one of the rear windows while traveling above 60MPH. The sound created by cavitation is defeating. Again, dealer told me it's normal for this car.
That’s insane I didn’t think the 450 would have this issue as well. Everyone touts the 450 as the better one that’s more reliable especially in regards to the hesitation. After the TSB I’m happy with the 8 speed transmission now, before I was regretting not finding a 450. This is definitely a defect on the design of the exhaust because even the TSB doesn’t 100% fix the issue. It’s something with the pressure in the exhaust since it seems to only happy under very light throttle. When exactly does yours happen? Which RPMS? Mine is ONLY when the RPMS are low under 2, mostly at around 1500. Using 93 gas and the hesitation TSB helped the droning a lot. The car used to love to stay in low RPMS. After the TSBs the car is staying in higher rpms and you barely hear the drone.
Old 07-25-19, 10:43 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

That’s insane I didn’t think the 450 would have this issue as well. Everyone touts the 450 as the better one that’s more reliable especially in regards to the hesitation. After the TSB I’m happy with the 8 speed transmission now, before I was regretting not finding a 450. This is definitely a defect on the design of the exhaust because even the TSB doesn’t 100% fix the issue. It’s something with the pressure in the exhaust since it seems to only happy under very light throttle. When exactly does yours happen? Which RPMS? Mine is ONLY when the RPMS are low under 2, mostly at around 1500. Using 93 gas and the hesitation TSB helped the droning a lot. The car used to love to stay in low RPMS. After the TSBs the car is staying in higher rpms and you barely hear the drone.
Mine happens exactly at 1500 RPM as reported by countless other users. Even the Service Manager and Tech acknowledge this problem. When I first brought my car in, one of the Service Managers said, "oh yeah, we have other owners who have the same issues". I believe a new muffler will fix this problem. I'm tempted to try it, but I haven't the time. Maybe one of us here can be a guinea pig?
Old 07-25-19, 11:03 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Mine happens exactly at 1500 RPM as reported by countless other users. Even the Service Manager and Tech acknowledge this problem. When I first brought my car in, one of the Service Managers said, "oh yeah, we have other owners who have the same issues". I believe a new muffler will fix this problem. I'm tempted to try it, but I haven't the time. Maybe one of us here can be a guinea pig?
New muffler? You haven’t done the TSB for the drone? They replace the entire center exhaust. It’s the design of the exhaust it’s not about the muffler. Lift the car up and look at the design. It screams back pressure
Old 07-25-19, 11:08 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

New muffler? You haven’t done the TSB for the drone? They replace the entire center exhaust. It’s the design of the exhaust it’s not about the muffler. Lift the car up and look at the design. It screams back pressure
I've done the drone&vibration TSB. It didn't help one bit and made it slightly worse. The only difference with the new center exhaust is the added counter weight. I'm not convinced it's the center exhaust that is the culprit. I think they designed it that way to mitigate the issue. I've played around with putting the counter weight (2 of them) at different location and got some improvement when I placed them around near the rear of the car. The drone comes from the rear of the car, at least for my case.
Old 07-26-19, 01:25 PM
keneaise
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey thanks for posting the lsbs.

As i stated in the drone&vibration thread, this is an inherent design/issue in the 4th gen rx, including rx450. I initially bought an 2019 rx450 and experienced the drone&vibration issue. I immediately returned it after 600 miles and incur a big financial hit. While test driving other rx450, 2 had the same issues. So i decided to test the rx350. The 1st 2 cars had the same issues. What are the odds of that? I test drove my current rx350 extensively and it had no problem during the test. However, 200 miles later i developed the issues. I think the issues were always there, but vary depending on temperature. It was a hot day, and i notice that on hot days the issues are minimal, but on days below 60 degrees, it drives me bonkers. In addition to the drone&vibration, i have the chirping sound from the rear, the squeaky suspension, and the clunking sound when i shift into r or d and it occurs about half of the time. The dealer said the shifting clunking sound is normal for this car. Go figure.

For those of you who would like to know whether you have the droning issue, open one and only one of the rear windows while traveling above 60mph. The sound created by cavitation is defeating. Again, dealer told me it's normal for this car.
i had my 2019 rx350 worked on today to update the software per service bulletin 0032-19.
There was a definite improvement in acceleration and a reduction in the hesitation. It was well worth it. I'm sure it will affect gas mileage but i have no concern about mileage. I do care about performance. I did lower on of the back windows and the sound is deafening.
Old 07-27-19, 05:10 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I initially bought an 2019 RX450 and experienced the drone&vibration issue. I immediately returned it after 600 miles and incur a big financial hit.
Why on earth would your first option be to return the car, especially for this reason, just after taking the biggest hit on depreciation the car will likely ever experience? It's something I noticed, said to myself hmmmm, and then I turned up the stereo and forgot about it. Said another way, this is probably happening to 10's if not 100's of thousands of owners who probably think, Hmmm, and forget about it driving the car happily.

I've never driven a perfect car. They ALL have their annoying idiosyncrasies yet with every new brand and every new model I drive I inevitably come across threads of really unhappy people who can't believe their cars aren't perfect. Do I wish it didn't drone? Sure! But I also wish the Pilot would shift smoother. I wished the S5 wasn't as jerky with the DCT from a start. I wished the XC60's leather seats didn't wear so fast. I wished the TL wasn't so ugly. If it really bothers me I'll just trade the car in once I'm no longer underwater and move on. These cars retain their values very well and it doesn't take very long to have positive equity. There's A LOT I can deal with to not through away good money!

Last edited by kitlz; 07-27-19 at 05:23 AM. Reason: language
The following 2 users liked this post by PWMDMD:
denverrob (07-27-19), GSFRX350 (07-27-19)
Old 07-27-19, 06:41 AM
technodis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m out of warranty now but going to a Houston dealer to have this TSB applied. Anyone have a good service advisor/dealer who will not give me the runaround and just apply the TSB like I ask? I hate the normal “unable to reproduce the problem” or “operating as normal” lines. Nothing drives me more crazy than that.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)