RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-19, 04:07 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
I now have 2,100 mi on my ‘19 RX350L, and only one complaint: 8 speed shift strategy. After every startup I immediately go to sport mode and, depending on conditions, this trans will quickly try to upshift and then hunt back and forth on uphill grades. Very annoying and, since I came from a BMW X3 M40i with a ZF 8 speed, this makes me not want to get behind the wheel because the Bimmer spoiled me. My personal fix, for now, is to go to “S” mode, limit the up shifts to 5 or 6, and take it to 3500 or 4000 rpm on every shift. Once out on the freeway, upshift to 7 and eventually 8. Once back on surface streets I manually downshift back to 4th and go from there. A PITA for sure. The car has not yet been back to the dealer for anything since the purchase in March. I’m aware of the TSB, but this car does not have the drone issue, just poor shift strategy. Anyone else experience this and have a solution?
Also, it’s never been fueled with anything less than Chevron 89 octane (for what it’s worth).
TSB 0032-19 doesn't eliminate that issue, but it sure helps.
The following users liked this post:
xxx350L (08-16-19)
Old 08-09-19, 04:56 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Amazing Lexus is still fiddling with this issues. My '15 Acura MDX had same issue, tried '16 RX 350 which had same issue. Did not keep either car long.
Moved to MB. No such problem. I have been happy with MB. So far so good. Their service is fantastic. When one of my seat rubber blabbers sprang a leak, they got
the parts overnight from Germany via DHL express. Quickly replaced it.
Old 08-09-19, 05:13 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

I now have 2,100 mi on my ‘19 RX350L, and only one complaint: 8 speed shift strategy. After every startup I immediately go to sport mode and, depending on conditions, this trans will quickly try to upshift and then hunt back and forth on uphill grades. Very annoying and, since I came from a BMW X3 M40i with a ZF 8 speed, this makes me not want to get behind the wheel because the Bimmer spoiled me. My personal fix, for now, is to go to “S” mode, limit the up shifts to 5 or 6, and take it to 3500 or 4000 rpm on every shift. Once out on the freeway, upshift to 7 and eventually 8. Once back on surface streets I manually downshift back to 4th and go from there. A PITA for sure. The car has not yet been back to the dealer for anything since the purchase in March. I’m aware of the TSB, but this car does not have the drone issue, just poor shift strategy. Anyone else experience this and have a solution?
Also, it’s never been fueled with anything less than Chevron 89 octane (for what it’s worth).
Originally Posted by Nail34
TSB 0032-19 doesn't eliminate that issue, but it sure helps.
You sure? Because that TSB took away 90% of the hesitation. It might still hunt going up a hill but not like before. I used to always put it in sport mode too, now I find myself with no desire. Between the 0032-19 TSB and using 93 octane gas the car is a pleasure to drive now. Nothing like before. Highly recommend you get it. I remember when I got a 2019 RXL as a loaner, the response from the gas pedal and hesitation was horrendous. I’m sure you will appreciate this update.
xxx350L (08-10-19)
Old 08-09-19, 05:22 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks guys for the response, I’ll get that TSB update done on my first scheduled visit. Again, the ZF trans in the BMW shifted like a dual clutch, without ANY hesitation under any condition, and that’s a hard act to follow.
Old 08-09-19, 06:33 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks guys for the response, I’ll get that TSB update done on my first scheduled visit. Again, the ZF trans in the BMW shifted like a dual clutch, without ANY hesitation under any condition, and that’s a hard act to follow.
It's nothing to do with the actual transmission though, purely software, the original mapping is for fuel economy hence the changing up gears so quickly.
xxx350L (08-10-19)
Old 08-09-19, 07:25 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
It's nothing to do with the actual transmission though, purely software, the original mapping is for fuel economy hence the changing up gears so quickly.
Totally agree, it’s tuned for CAFE standards and not performance. Lexus engineers need to find a balance of performance and drivability.
Old 08-09-19, 07:46 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
You sure? Because that TSB took away 90% of the hesitation. It might still hunt going up a hill but not like before. I used to always put it in sport mode too, now I find myself with no desire. Between the 0032-19 TSB and using 93 octane gas the car is a pleasure to drive now. Nothing like before. Highly recommend you get it. I remember when I got a 2019 RXL as a loaner, the response from the gas pedal and hesitation was horrendous. I’m sure you will appreciate this update.
If it eliminated the hesitation it would be 100% gone. For me, the first TSB took away 75% of the hesitation and this latest took away 80% of that. That's 95%, but just like you I'd guesstimate 90%, maybe a little less. The change from when I bought my car to now is just incredible.
xxx350L (08-10-19)
Old 08-10-19, 04:04 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I agree! This has improved drivability A LOT. Transmission is less manic with up and down shifts and everything is operating smoother and seems more cohesive with one potential caveat - twice yesterday in stop and go traffic on the highway while simply slowing down the transmission downshifted "early" with a slight thunk with noticeable engine braking felt. In other words, I was not intensionally downshifting to engine brake - just slowing down in drive in normal mode and instead of the transmission downshifting after slowing sufficiently to not feel the downshift it downshifted early causing the RPMs to rev to 3K. Just going to keep in eye on this though as in every other situation things seem greatly improved. I'm also not sure if the "shift logic" was reset by the TSB...could just be "relearning" my driving style - that was my first time in stop and go on the highway since the TSB.
xxx350L (08-10-19)
Old 08-10-19, 05:49 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

The "shift logic" would have been reset definitely.
xxx350L (08-10-19)
Old 08-10-19, 05:58 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

2017 RX FSport 30k miles. Regular service at Newport Lexus. Never had vibration or drone issues, but mentioned to service adviser, the latest service bulletin mentioned here (0032-19). Once experienced slowing for pedestrian, then wanted to speed up, and it hesitated like not moving. Sorta scary. Only happened once like I say, never complained to dealer over the 2 years until today.

Have always thought the hunt for gear during normal driving was strange, so I discussed with SA. Of course, he said you will need to demonstrate the issue. I said then we are done, because I can't recreate at will. The SA agreed to have tech look at current ECU version number and see if it qualifies for any update due to hunt for gears being overly felt.

Scared anything done might make things worse, but to my surprise, driving home from dealer in both highway and surface streets, I am impressed so far. At least seems no harm done.

Will try to attach invoice for your pleasure.
Old 08-13-19, 08:55 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
2017 RX FSport 30k miles. Regular service at Newport Lexus. Never had vibration or drone issues, but mentioned to service adviser, the latest service bulletin mentioned here (0032-19). Once experienced slowing for pedestrian, then wanted to speed up, and it hesitated like not moving. Sorta scary. Only happened once like I say, never complained to dealer over the 2 years until today.

Have always thought the hunt for gear during normal driving was strange, so I discussed with SA. Of course, he said you will need to demonstrate the issue. I said then we are done, because I can't recreate at will. The SA agreed to have tech look at current ECU version number and see if it qualifies for any update due to hunt for gears being overly felt.

Scared anything done might make things worse, but to my surprise, driving home from dealer in both highway and surface streets, I am impressed so far. At least seems no harm done.

Will try to attach invoice for your pleasure.
Thanks for posting your invoice. I am going to get my 10k service done today and have them do the TSB and hope there's improvement.
Old 08-13-19, 08:21 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

My RX350 before and after ECU firmware update

Got mine done today. Will know tomorrow if there is improvement.
Old 08-14-19, 02:49 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dchan865

My RX350 before and after ECU firmware update

Got mine done today. Will know tomorrow if there is improvement.
Did they just provide this report with your after service paperwork, or did you specifically ask for it. I have had reprogramming done, but never received a report like this.
Old 08-14-19, 06:58 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Did they just provide this report with your after service paperwork, or did you specifically ask for it. I have had reprogramming done, but never received a report like this.
For a piece of mind, I asked my service adviser for it and he sent me a picture of it. Going to pick up my ride later today so will see how it goes.
Old 08-14-19, 11:05 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
those codes don't match mine before or after. Who knows what these guys are applying......but could also be related to different variations within the RX, ie, mine is AWD, FSport, and heavy duty cooling system for pulling trailer (an option never asked for nor used to pull trailer)

Last edited by kent2174; 08-15-19 at 11:23 AM. Reason: used to pull trailer added

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)