RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 03:27 PM
Eric0201
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the TSB today in Canada. I will try to see is there any difference.
I also notice if I switch from drive to reverse and I hold the break, I can hear a noice. If I do not hold the break, I cannot. I am not sure if it relates to transmission or break.
Is there any one has this issue?

BTW, I also replace my drive side outside mirror because I can notice some vibration when speed reach 110km/h or the road is too bad. Still notice the vibration on bad road and I will check in highway later.
Old 09-20-19, 09:53 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
The first incident of this problem was reported to Lexus, by me in person, on August 8, 2019. They did not try to replicate, and proceeded to address the hesitation issue with a computer re-flash. No change. I’ll be talking to Lexus again soon. Thank you for your response.
Not sure where you are located, but I would also report it to https://www.nhtsa.gov/
The following users liked this post:
xxx350L (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 07:02 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GRJFER
Not sure where you are located, but I would also report it to https://www.nhtsa.gov/
After the first acceleration incident in August, I did report to NHTSA and, you’re correct, it only about 5 to 10 minutes. After this trip I will give them a call to update my case.
Old 09-28-19, 02:43 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeon
Attached is the 9/26/19 revised/updated TSB. Don't know if it contains actual ECU remapping optimizations based on feedback or just updated coverage information. Print this out and give it to your service advisor. Mine claimed there were no "recalls" and the master technician had to inform him the TSB are different from recalls.

I had the TSB done and oh boy the normal mode now drives like sport mode. It's amazing. The gears are shifting so smoothly. I don't think it's placebo either because with the loaner NX300 I was given I thought to myself "this is how gears should shift."

And remember to take a ton of photos before sending your car away. I was too trusting thinking these guys deal with Lexuses everyday and that they must be super careful but nope. There's now a 2 inch scratch on my rear bumper, deep enough that I can see the dark plastic. The SA said he'll forward the issue to the customer relations and the service manager and I'll hear back by Monday or Tuesday since they don't work weekends. The funny thing is I have a $600 dual channel dashcam with $400 in backup batteries but I disconnected it to be nice and to give them privacy while they worked. I'm a goddamn moron.
Thank you for the TSB update info. Sorry that your car was damaged. Stand firm and have them make it new again. No touch up paint or spot paint. Have them remove the rear facia and paint/clear coat edge to edge.
Old 09-28-19, 03:06 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Unbelievable!!!

What's this, the 3rd attempt to rewrite the software.

I try to be positive with Lexus but really, what the hell are they doing. And this TSB is a Revision so likely that anyone requesting it will end up with the original. Why not give it a new number?
Old 09-28-19, 07:22 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Attached is the 9/26/19 revised/updated TSB. Don't know if it contains actual ECU remapping optimizations based on feedback or just updated coverage information. Print this out and give it to your service advisor. Mine claimed there were no "recalls" and the master technician had to inform him the TSB are different from recalls.

I had the TSB done and oh boy the normal mode now drives like sport mode. It's amazing. The gears are shifting so smoothly. I don't think it's placebo either because with the loaner NX300 I was given I thought to myself "this is how gears should shift."

And remember to take a ton of photos before sending your car away. I was too trusting thinking these guys deal with Lexuses everyday and that they must be super careful but nope. There's now a 2 inch scratch on my rear bumper, deep enough that I can see the dark plastic. The SA said he'll forward the issue to the customer relations and the service manager and I'll hear back by Monday or Tuesday since they don't work weekends. The funny thing is I have a $600 dual channel dashcam with $400 in backup batteries but I disconnected it to be nice and to give them privacy while they worked. I'm a goddamn moron.
I think some wording has changed or maybe they added more models so it actually works for the 2019 since the original seemed to do nothing. I just checked the info for mine which is a 2017 F Sport AWD and the before and after info including the calibration ID is all the same as the original TSB. Did you do the original 0032-19 before this update or is this the first time?
Old 09-28-19, 10:44 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the TSB done last week. The service rep told me the only difference between this and the one in 2017 is a new shift point. My RPM how hovers at 1750 RPM in normal mode. This is above the crazy drone that occurs at 1500 RPM. The car is more drivable now. They also replaced the engine mounts with the latest softer ones, due to my complaint about excessive vibration, but didn't help. I told them ahead of time that they need to fix the alignment after the mounts are replaced. Well they didn't and I had to take the car back again; after the realignment, it's not as perfect as it used to be. This is so annoying. I also got a small ding on the rear fender that I found out last night. Dealers are quite something.

Last edited by gnguyen; 09-29-19 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 06:39 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have done the same update couple of weeks ago with terrible result.
Now car changes gear too soon and end up to jerk feeling %50 of time when changes the gear. my smooth Lexus turned into a rocking chair now. BE AWARE
it happens more in down shift if you decelerate fast and sometime in accelerate there is a surge. (do you have this issue after TSB done? (L-SB-0032-19)

I went back to dealer and asked to put original ECU software (revert the TSB) but they say they can not go back and downgrade the software. Do you know if this is true?
My Car is 2019 non f-sport
Old 09-30-19, 07:20 AM
Eric0201
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
I have done the same update couple of weeks ago with terrible result.
Now car changes gear too soon and end up to jerk feeling %50 of time when changes the gear. my smooth Lexus turned into a rocking chair now. BE AWARE
it happens more in down shift if you decelerate fast and sometime in accelerate there is a surge. (do you have this issue after TSB done? (L-SB-0032-19)

I went back to dealer and asked to put original ECU software (revert the TSB) but they say they can not go back and downgrade the software. Do you know if this is true?
My Car is 2019 non f-sport
My dealer also said they cannot downgrade the software too.
Old 10-01-19, 07:30 AM
bobett
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this done (2017 RX350) and it vastly improved the shifting. Felt like it should

Bob
Old 10-01-19, 07:38 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I also had the TSB done on ny 2017RX, and it improved the shifting significantly.
Old 10-01-19, 09:44 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

How long does the update take? Wondering if I can wait while they do it or do I have to get a loaner.
Old 10-05-19, 12:12 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Took it in for checks today and they insist me to take technician out for a test drive and reproduce the problem. I mentioned the LTCI number and they said it may not fix the issue since it may not be the correct TSB(maybe my English comprehension skill is not on par)

After the test drive they said they flashed the ECU, however the sticker under the hood isn't updated, so I'm not sure which version got flashed in. I will report back in a few days to see if this fixes it.
Attached Thumbnails Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)-1570302734829.jpg  
Old 10-06-19, 08:11 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Onion
Took it in for checks today and they insist me to take technician out for a test drive and reproduce the problem. I mentioned the LTCI number and they said it may not fix the issue since it may not be the correct TSB(maybe my English comprehension skill is not on par)

After the test drive they said they flashed the ECU, however the sticker under the hood isn't updated, so I'm not sure which version got flashed in. I will report back in a few days to see if this fixes it.
Looks like the receipt you received shows only the work done to address the suspension noise problem. If you can, find another dealer and tell them that "the vehicle is bucking when it shifts gears." Those are the words from TSB 0032-19. My service manager told me that they are having good luck with this fix, and he would be happy to apply it to my car. A good dealership makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-06-19, 10:58 AM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Looks like the receipt you received shows only the work done to address the suspension noise problem. If you can, find another dealer and tell them that "the vehicle is bucking when it shifts gears." Those are the words from TSB 0032-19. My service manager told me that they are having good luck with this fix, and he would be happy to apply it to my car. A good dealership makes all the difference in the world.
The top one is supposingly for the TSB. They didn't replace the trailer arm for suspension problem either, they just lubed it again and hope it would be fine until warranty expires.
I literally opened the TSB and read to them word by word, they said I shouldn't have access to the TSB and it is inappropriate for the service advisor to tell me there is a TSB available.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)