RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 06:17 PM
harryposey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hd

I also have the hesitation problem. I did not realize it until the dealer gave me a loaner rx for another problem and the loaner was an identical RX 2016 model. The drive home in the loaner was eye-opening. I immediately noticed that the performance of the loaner car was outstanding. It was the way my first RX in 2010 performed. The dealer couldn't fix my 2016. Lexus corporate told them they know about the problem but do not have a fix yet. One will be coming, but they don't know when. I have opened a claim at corporate.
Old 12-07-16, 10:36 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice the hesitation only in Normal mode. It does not exist in Eco (or Sport) mode.
I had the same hesitation in my 2005 RX so I was kind of used to it. It still seems strange.
Old 12-08-16, 08:09 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Is anyone considering buying one of these throttle boosters to help in the engine lag? I'm considering it, but a little nervous if this will negatively effect the car or the engine over time?
Old 12-08-16, 01:42 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Good news. A discreet update should be make to update the transmission shifting problem per a lexus master technician confirmation, just take it in for service...

Originally Posted by jnghiem005
SOME GOOD NEWS! I have a good friend that's a master mechanic at a Lexus dealership. I started *****ing about he the problems i have with my 16' RX350 concerning the Transmission lag problem and also the vibration droning issue. He said lexus is aware of the issues and it will be fixed. Lexus plans to tackle the transmission issue first (really soon i'm told) and then address the vibration problem later on. There won't be recalls or notices to customers, but the problems will be fixed when cars are brought in for their services.
Old 12-08-16, 09:01 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
Good news. A discreet update should be make to update the transmission shifting problem per a lexus master technician confirmation, just take it in for service...
Can someone post any more evidence that there is indeed a TSB? If there was, Id imagine someone would have posted something. FWIW, my advisor claims that Lexus does not have learning transmissions like many of the german cars do. Mine hesitates the same it did from day 1 and now im over 10k miles. Sad to hear the 2017 has it too.
Old 12-08-16, 09:08 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gribble
Is anyone considering buying one of these throttle boosters to help in the engine lag? I'm considering it, but a little nervous if this will negatively effect the car or the engine over time?
Of course it will do NOTHING to the car overtime.
It is merely a throttle frequency adjuster, which makes the ECU more instantly responsive and the transmission more responsive so the lag and hesitation does not occur.

Why do you think people say 'Sport Mode" fixes it?
Its because it is not an issues at all... it is simply the retarded fly by wire and its ECU software that is focused on Emissions and Fuel Economy, instead of driver comfort and pleasure.

Buy the booster and problem solved.
Old 12-10-16, 07:59 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Baxter,
do you have pics or a way to explain how this booster gets installed?
Old 12-10-16, 10:55 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Plug and play... 15mins job 1st time, maximum... 5mins job once you have done it before and know what you are doing.

Go to throttle pedal... pull off plug at top of pedal assembly... plug in booster to throttle plug.... then plug the car wiring harness plug into the other end of the booster... and thats it... you're done!

All pics are in the link. They are generic pics, but principal is exactly the same.
Old 12-11-16, 04:19 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I find it hard to believe that some plug and play contraption is going to make a difference here.
Old 12-11-16, 06:07 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I think it will! Check out the NX thread, they have the same issue and people have done the same thing with good results.
Old 12-11-16, 08:03 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Originally Posted by s4iscool
I find it hard to believe that some plug and play contraption is going to make a difference here.
who cares??

I've told you it works because I've done it...
Old 12-12-16, 05:07 AM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue as everyone else. First time Lexus owner and am highly disappointed in the ride not being smooth. The car seems so clunky at low speeds when taking it easy on acceleration. The RPMs jump all around and it seems like the transmission has no idea what to do. I took it in to service for both the hesitation and vibration and they said they noticed it but that Lexus did not have a fix for it and there is no estimate on when there will be a resolution. That is just ridiculous....54K for a new car and am already having these kinds of issues.
Old 12-12-16, 05:34 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithyINC
Same issue as everyone else. First time Lexus owner and am highly disappointed in the ride not being smooth. The car seems so clunky at low speeds when taking it easy on acceleration. The RPMs jump all around and it seems like the transmission has no idea what to do. I took it in to service for both the hesitation and vibration and they said they noticed it but that Lexus did not have a fix for it and there is no estimate on when there will be a resolution. That is just ridiculous....54K for a new car and am already having these kinds of issues.

darn. Wish you knew about it before you bought the car. It's an issue many people face so know you're not alone and know they are doing something about it. ONe user found a way to dampen it himself, seems easy enough! Search this thread to find it.
The following users liked this post:
SmithyINC (12-12-16)
Old 12-15-16, 09:44 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It really is dangerous, just that second of hesitation of bucking on hard accerlation can really get you in trouble. This is obvious issue I don't understand how there isn't a fixed yet and it is also in 2017, had one for a loaner and it did same exact issues. Let's hope they come up with flash for software soon...
Old 12-28-16, 08:43 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried using a higher octane fuel? I had been using 87 since I got it and yesterday I firgured I would try 93-Vpower shell and for the last 200 miles running the fuel it has greatly improved this hesitation problem for me, for awhile I though it was in my head but is same places where I would feel that lag for second it is gone. Runs really smooth now.
If it is really bothering you give it try..
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexus1998:
kkimbo (07-31-20), P17rx350 (01-18-17)

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)