RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 05:01 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ohhawk
That include 2020 models? If so, is there a TSB reference number?

Thanks.
From what I've read on here the 2020s are the same with their hesitation, again Lexus keep making them the same for that all important mpg figure; the TSB was released I think in Sept 2019 which is before the 2020s??

Old 02-18-20, 09:31 AM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys, I will be taking my car in to Lexus this week and just wondering is TSB L-TCI-5285 still the newest and current fix right now? (Canada)
Old 02-24-20, 04:44 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BensonTT
Hey guys, I will be taking my car in to Lexus this week and just wondering is TSB L-TCI-5285 still the newest and current fix right now? (Canada)
The last time I brought my car in for the newest update I simply told them I wanted the latest and they thought they had it but I insisted they check it and when they called main Lexus (not sure name of it) they discovered they had a newer update. So they downloaded it and updated my vehicle. I called them in advance so they had it when I went in for service like 2 days later.
Old 02-24-20, 09:03 AM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
The last time I brought my car in for the newest update I simply told them I wanted the latest and they thought they had it but I insisted they check it and when they called main Lexus (not sure name of it) they discovered they had a newer update. So they downloaded it and updated my vehicle. I called them in advance so they had it when I went in for service like 2 days later.
do you know the TSB # by any chance?
Old 02-26-20, 07:48 PM
Yasser1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Louay1978
As far as I remember the software version that I had ends in 200 while the new one for the F-Sport ends in 300. now to give you guys a little bit of history. I got my car 2006 RX350 F-Sport Dec 26, 2016, and since day one I used Petro-Canada premium 94. So I had very little problem with the car to start with. Now in anticipation of this TSB I switched to regular 87 three thanks ago and that's when I started noticing the problems more and more. currently I have 4000 KM on the car. So far I have driven 50 plus KM since I got the TSB applied and I can say it is a big difference (Thanks to FastFord for giving me the Dealer contact). The car is a lot more responsive in terms of acceleration in corners and slight uphills it actually holds the RPM's at around 2000~2500 and pulls. While before the TSB it will go through the gears very quickly and then down shift so I had to baby the gas peddle to minimize the effect of that and smooth the ride.

I have 2016 Highlander limited with the 6-speed (11,0000 KM) and I can say now the RX is almost as smooth in terms of shifting and drone noise not as good but close. I also have a 2015 NX 200t F-Sport (35,000) which I find a lot smoother to drive than my 2016 RX350 very odd!!!

In a nut shell at this point for me I think the TSB did improve how my car behaves. It is sad to hear that it did not work for others. I will report later on as well.

Side note:
if anybody in Canada is interested in running boards they will be available through the dealer ETA end of April PN:

PT938-48161

Could you please tell me which dealer did you end up going to for the TSB fix?
Old 03-06-20, 05:08 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yesterday, I took my 2017 RX 350 CPO to the dealer, which I took delivery on January 2, and has 40,500 miles about rough idling and hesitation. This afternoon I received a call from my service rep. He told me that his technician had applied the latest TSBs to the transmission and changed a portion of the exhaust to mitigate the rough idling. When I go to pick up my car tomorrow, I will find out he did to the exhaust. This is a new one for me. Has anyone had their exhaust tampered with?
Old 03-06-20, 11:40 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dhaka
Yesterday, I took my 2017 RX 350 CPO to the dealer, which I took delivery on January 2, and has 40,500 miles about rough idling and hesitation. This afternoon I received a call from my service rep. He told me that his technician had applied the latest TSBs to the transmission and changed a portion of the exhaust to mitigate the rough idling. When I go to pick up my car tomorrow, I will find out he did to the exhaust. This is a new one for me. Has anyone had their exhaust tampered with?
Sounds like the TSB for the vibration, they add a rubber damper apparently.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...vibration.html

Old 03-10-20, 07:44 PM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default SOLUTION to hesitation and sluggishness

This works, wife approved. I have done every TSB for this issue, yet it continue. Now after treating a full tank of 93 with REDLINE FUEL TREATMENT the problem is gone. Redline has a chemical PEA at 30% to 50% per bottle that really works well on this engine. This thing runs like a RCF..... No more bucking. I'll update on the next tank. I plan to use a bottle of Cheveon Tech.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...ech%20Info.pdf

2016 F sport

Last edited by diggdyone; 03-10-20 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 09:19 AM
ohhawk
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
2020s are not included in the new TSB, but you might be able to talk the dealer into doing it. TSB L-SB-0032-19. Works great.
Inquired about applying this TSB to our new 2020 RX and they said all corrections had been made to the new models. They invited me to bring vehicle in for a test drive with the Service Mgr which I did for about 20-25 minutes. He hooked computer configuration up while monitoring on his tablet type device that measured trans shifting / rpms, etc. Long story short.........everything operating as it should I guess.

Having come from the 2013 RX 6 speed there is definitely a difference at the lower end speeds with the 2020 8 speed. At lower speeds shifting is more noticeable and oftentimes seems to be searching for the correct gear. Love the model but am happy I got a short term lease this time. Hope this gets resolved in the future or I'll be entertaining other vehicles on the next go around. Yes, there is also increased "drone" noise that was not there with the earlier models.
Old 03-14-20, 11:05 AM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ohhawk
Inquired about applying this TSB to our new 2020 RX and they said all corrections had been made to the new models. They invited me to bring vehicle in for a test drive with the Service Mgr which I did for about 20-25 minutes. He hooked computer configuration up while monitoring on his tablet type device that measured trans shifting / rpms, etc. Long story short.........everything operating as it should I guess.

Having come from the 2013 RX 6 speed there is definitely a difference at the lower end speeds with the 2020 8 speed. At lower speeds shifting is more noticeable and oftentimes seems to be searching for the correct gear. Love the model but am happy I got a short term lease this time. Hope this gets resolved in the future or I'll be entertaining other vehicles on the next go around. Yes, there is also increased "drone" noise that was not there with the earlier models.
The 2017 RX is our fourth Lexus, it fails to drive as smoothly the other three did--even the now gone 2001 RX 300. When I mentioned that to the service rep, he indirectly blamed the eight-speed transmission. In the last couple of days, I was traveling to a conference in my workplace's Kia Optima. It drove smoother than my RX. Go figure!
Old 03-14-20, 04:47 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

[QUOTE=diggdyone;10756063]This works, wife approved. I have done every TSB for this issue, yet it continue. Now after treating a full tank of 93 with REDLINE FUEL TREATMENT the problem is gone. Redline has a chemical PEA at 30% to 50% per bottle that really works well on this engine. This thing runs like a RCF..... No more bucking. I'll update on the next tank. I plan to use a bottle of Cheveon Tech.[QUOTE]
So all the engine needs is cleaning and it's working perfectly??

So why do new engines have the same issue? Surely they are clean?

The hesitation, bucking, gear hunting, whatever you call it is purely related to the transmission mapping. Lexus have mapped the transmission for fuel economy (FE), they know the RX is not the best for FE as it's an overweight lump of a car. All reports are that the latest TSB (if done correctly) fixes the "problem". Putting it in Sports mode alleviates most of the problem too as it's just changing that mapping to hold gears longer. Higher octane fuel "may" improve the issue too as there maybe a slight improvement in power/torque but that's debatable.
Old 03-15-20, 04:07 PM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to this forum, I got the drone (L-SB-003-18) and hesitation (L-SB-0032-19) TSBs done. Hesitation TSB made a big difference. Vehicle shifts more naturally and stays longer in gears. Had to do a little bit of coaxing and ride with the foreman to have them do the hesitation TSB though. Apparently they've had people complain about hard shifts after the software update (which is irreversible), so they're treading carefully. Thanks to all you fellow members for sharing your insights!
Old 03-16-20, 05:23 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by diggdyone
This works, wife approved. I have done every TSB for this issue, yet it continue. Now after treating a full tank of 93 with REDLINE FUEL TREATMENT the problem is gone. Redline has a chemical PEA at 30% to 50% per bottle that really works well on this engine. This thing runs like a RCF..... No more bucking. I'll update on the next tank. I plan to use a bottle of Cheveon Tech.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...ech%20Info.pdf

https://youtu.be/aQD7xKZCGK4

2016 F sport

Your car is beautiful! This may come across as a dumb question...is this something we'd have to use only on occasion or every fill up? I've brought my car in for the every update and yet it still bucks and hesitates. Perhaps not as bad as it first was when I got it but still does it. Thanks.
Old 03-16-20, 07:20 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxyen
Thanks to this forum, I got the drone (L-SB-003-18) and hesitation (L-SB-0032-19) TSBs done. Hesitation TSB made a big difference. Vehicle shifts more naturally and stays longer in gears. Had to do a little bit of coaxing and ride with the foreman to have them do the hesitation TSB though. Apparently they've had people complain about hard shifts after the software update (which is irreversible), so they're treading carefully. Thanks to all you fellow members for sharing your insights!
You are correct, I have done the TSB (L-SB-0032-19) and not happy with hard shifts (specially in lower gears), asked to revert it back they said not possible.
Car is very jerky and not smooth at all.
So think twice before asking for (L-SB-0032-19) - if I knew it I wouldn't do it.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (03-16-20)
Old 03-16-20, 11:07 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
You are correct, I have done the TSB (L-SB-0032-19) and not happy with hard shifts (specially in lower gears), asked to revert it back they said not possible.
Car is very jerky and not smooth at all.
So think twice before asking for (L-SB-0032-19) - if I knew it I wouldn't do it.
Same thing happened to me, I wasn't unhappy with the previous setting, but this new one is very very touchy, one must work at getting used to it.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)