RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 11:34 AM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Same thing happened to me, I wasn't unhappy with the previous setting, but this new one is very very touchy, one must work at getting used to it.
Did you try clearing the Transmission ECU memory (disconnecting the battery for > 30 minutes)? The dealer should have done it, but in case they didn't.
Old 03-16-20, 12:14 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxyen
Did you try clearing the Transmission ECU memory (disconnecting the battery for > 30 minutes)? The dealer should have done it, but in case they didn't.
I don't know, but will ask to do that when next in for service, Thanks!
Old 03-17-20, 02:49 PM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have done it with no effect.
I disconnected the battery overnight but still did not loose any settings (like radio etc)
Talked to Lexus engineer about it and was told that it is not the case anymore.
newer Lexus(s) are equipped with capacitors which keeps the information even if you disconnect the battery. It may be erased if the battery disconnected for days. but for few hours those capacitors have enough juice to keep the settings.
Old 03-17-20, 06:19 PM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
I disconnected the battery overnight but still did not loose any settings (like radio etc)
newer Lexus(s) are equipped with capacitors which keeps the information even if you disconnect the battery. It may be erased if the battery disconnected for days. but for few hours those capacitors have enough juice to keep the settings.
Oh okay, that's good to know. So is dealer or Techstream the only way to reset the transmission learning?
Old 03-18-20, 02:40 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
That makes a lot of sense. With one of the TSBs that I had done, I asked if the battery had been disconnected, and was told that they just shorted something out to accomplish the same thing. I don’t remember what he said they shorted - maybe the positive battery wire to ground would unload the capacitors. I will have to ask again. If I ever get out of the house.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 03-18-20 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-18-20, 07:37 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
That makes a lot of sense. With one of the TSBs that I had done, I asked if the battery had been disconnected, and was told that they just shorted something out to accomplish the same thing. I don’t remember what he said they shorted - maybe the positive battery wire to ground would unload the capacitors. I will have to ask again. If I ever get out of the house.
With the electronics in todays cars, I would be REAL careful about shorting battery cables.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (03-20-20)
Old 03-18-20, 07:52 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh okay, that's good to know. So is dealer or Techstream the only way to reset the transmission learning?
that is correct, they erase it with Techstream at dealer.
Old 03-25-20, 10:17 AM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Smile A Real Fix for me

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
Your car is beautiful! This may come across as a dumb question...is this something we'd have to use only on occasion or every fill up? I've brought my car in for the every update and yet it still bucks and hesitates. Perhaps not as bad as it first was when I got it but still does it. Thanks.
Thanks Kain B., Let me state this about my journey with the hesitation.

Race Trac or QT Top Tier 93 octane fuel only (when in Ga.)

Brought the RX a year ago;
it would buck when down shifting (hard braking on the highway) and up shifting (hard on the gas from a roll)
Also it would gear hunt as you drove up and down hilly roads of Georgia
It would hesitate when hitting the gas from a stop

Did the 1st TSB
Bucking stopped ....
gear hunting stopped in SPORT MODE ONLY...
hesitation was still there in all modes (Dangerously Bad)

Did the 2nd TSB
hesitation stopped...for a week
gear hunting still in normal mode

Once a week disconnect the battery over night
hesitation stops for a week
Gear hunting in normal

RedLine on a full tank and battery disconnect over night
RX RUNS HARD...in SPORT MODES
Gear hunting STOPPED in all modes

Chevron conc. plus on a full tank NO battery disconnect
Running HARD in all MODES

800 MILES LATER this RX is driving the best it ever has AND I will be using REDLINE once a month and
Chevron cont. plus twice a month......Small price to pay for the joy this RX gives me....
If this didn't work I could see a SRT or Jeep Trackhawk replacing the RX......they are fast and fun

But, for now my wife is flying in the RX like a slow jet.

I use this for FAST FUN....

Hubs (03-25-20)
Old 03-25-20, 11:05 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

I was debating trying these octane booster and fuel injector cleaners. They always added a little boost to my older cars, didn’t think it would a newer car. Are you using it on an empty tank and then filling up though? That’s what I always did. I’m anxious to add some now I have a bottle in the car but the tank is almost full. I was also debating trying to disconnect the battery every week like you do as the car drives amazing when it’s still “learning”. I heard there is an easier way to reset the ECU with the fuse rather then disconnecting the battery every time physically. Aren’t you losing your radio settings each time you do that? That was the only thing stopping me, losing settings sounds annoying.

Originally Posted by diggdyone
Thanks Kain B., Let me state this about my journey with the hesitation.

Race Trac or QT Top Tier 93 octane fuel only (when in Ga.)

Brought the RX a year ago;
it would buck when down shifting (hard braking on the highway) and up shifting (hard on the gas from a roll)
Also it would gear hunt as you drove up and down hilly roads of Georgia
It would hesitate when hitting the gas from a stop

Did the 1st TSB
Bucking stopped ....
gear hunting stopped in SPORT MODE ONLY...
hesitation was still there in all modes (Dangerously Bad)

Did the 2nd TSB
hesitation stopped...for a week
gear hunting still in normal mode

Once a week disconnect the battery over night
hesitation stops for a week
Gear hunting in normal

RedLine on a full tank and battery disconnect over night
RX RUNS HARD...in SPORT MODES
Gear hunting STOPPED in all modes

Chevron conc. plus on a full tank NO battery disconnect
Running HARD in all MODES

800 MILES LATER this RX is driving the best it ever has AND I will be using REDLINE once a month and
Chevron cont. plus twice a month......Small price to pay for the joy this RX gives me....
If this didn't work I could see a SRT or Jeep Trackhawk replacing the RX......they are fast and fun

But, for now my wife is flying in the RX like a slow jet.

I use this for FAST FUN....
Old 03-25-20, 01:03 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by diggdyone
Yikes...at an additional cost of $30 per month for those three bottles it may make sense to just trade in for the buttery smooth hybrid.
Old 03-25-20, 01:45 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

That may explain why I've never had any of these problems, but I only use 94 octane from the 1st fill up.
Old 03-26-20, 07:26 PM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

No problem with radio resetting after removing both cables...which is weird. I reset over night only. My plan is to keep this regiment of fuel cleaners and treatment going for 6 months then see how she works without them. As for cost...gas is cheap now $1.50 and Walmart sells the Chevron for $5. "What do you have to lose"......
Old 05-28-20, 05:26 AM
patcic
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2017 RX and have been frustrated with the hesitation on acceleration that everyone refers to in this thread. It goes away in Power Mode but is always there in Normal mode. Dealer said there was no TSB and that I needed a fuel cleaner treatment which can't be the case because the problem would be there in Power mode as well. I knew it was computer related and I saw the conversation regarding the Powertune module that you plug into the diagnostic port under the driver side dash. I was skeptical to say the least but for $80 from Amazon I thought why not, what do I have to lose? If it doesn't work I'll just ship it back. Well, I am very happy to say the problem is now RESOLVED! All hesitation on low to medium acceleration is gone. FINALLY!

I hope this helps others with the same problem. Good luck!

ravenuer (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 06:10 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by patcic
I have a 2017 RX and have been frustrated with the hesitation on acceleration that everyone refers to in this thread. It goes away in Power Mode but is always there in Normal mode. Dealer said there was no TSB and that I needed a fuel cleaner treatment which can't be the case because the problem would be there in Power mode as well. I knew it was computer related and I saw the conversation regarding the Powertune module that you plug into the diagnostic port under the driver side dash. I was skeptical to say the least but for $80 from Amazon I thought why not, what do I have to lose? If it doesn't work I'll just ship it back. Well, I am very happy to say the problem is now RESOLVED! All hesitation on low to medium acceleration is gone. FINALLY!

2017 RX had THREE versions of a TSB to remedy the hesitation. It's purely a transmission software mapping problem, not a fault just designed for low fuel consumption. The TSB changing the mapping and the hesitation in Normal mode should be gone.
rxtimes2 (05-29-20)
Old 05-28-20, 09:00 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

I always wondered if one of those would work because even after all the TSBS the hesitation is definitely still there, I tend to always drive in sport mode. What’s the name of the one you used ?

Originally Posted by patcic

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)