RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 03:27 AM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has TSB completed last week with the 10K service. Big improvement, wish I had done earlier
Old 05-31-20, 09:32 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrod70
Has TSB completed last week with the 10K service. Big improvement, wish I had done earlier
what was the TSB number? and can you tell us what has improved?
Old 05-31-20, 04:32 PM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer work order states software update LSB-032-19 OP code 800269. I found the information on this web site, printed it and gave to my service advisor.
Old 05-31-20, 05:27 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
what was the TSB number? and can you tell us what has improved?
Hotrod70 is on the money, just make sure it's the one issued in Sept 2019 wih Rev at the end. They had a couple of goes with that TSB to get it right apparently.
Old 06-01-20, 06:08 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Hotrod70 is on the money, just make sure it's the one issued in Sept 2019 wih Rev at the end. They had a couple of goes with that TSB to get it right apparently.
GSFRX350, that is very important information. I have done it in Canada in August 2019 and I am very disappointed with the result.
For Canada it was "L-TCI-5285" which is equivalent of "L-SB-0032-19" in US. TSB was dated July 2019.
So you are saying that there is newer revision of "L-SB-0032-19" which was released on September 2019?
Can you post where can I get a copy of it? (with the rev)

Here is the one I got back in August 2019
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0032-19.pdf (433.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 06-03-20, 06:08 AM
patcic
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The module is by PowerTune but here is an update. They say the unit goes into learning mode for the first few weeks and I think a little bit of the hesitation MAY be back after it was totally gone when I first plugged it in. I will test it again today and report back. If it does come back, I will reset it, remove it and put it back in and see what happens.

Stay tuned.
Old 06-03-20, 01:14 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by patcic
The module is by PowerTune but here is an update. They say the unit goes into learning mode for the first few weeks and I think a little bit of the hesitation MAY be back after it was totally gone when I first plugged it in. I will test it again today and report back. If it does come back, I will reset it, remove it and put it back in and see what happens.

Stay tuned.
I had all of the TSB applied. Each time the issue significantly improved, but for only about a week. Then it came back.
Old 06-04-20, 02:33 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by gnguyen
I had all of the TSB applied. Each time the issue significantly improved, but for only about a week. Then it came back.
Do you drive the car hard, accelerating fast, braking hard, etc?

Is there more than one regular driver for your car?

What fuel type do you use?
Old 06-04-20, 02:38 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnhey
GSFRX350, that is very important information. I have done it in Canada in August 2019 and I am very disappointed with the result.
For Canada it was "L-TCI-5285" which is equivalent of "L-SB-0032-19" in US. TSB was dated July 2019.
So you are saying that there is newer revision of "L-SB-0032-19" which was released on September 2019?
Can you post where can I get a copy of it? (with the rev)

Here is the one I got back in August 2019
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sb-0032-19.pdf
Old 06-06-20, 04:14 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I had the TSB done back in May. On a road trip this week I started to notice occasional hard downshifts/surges on deceleration and more pronounced upshifting at high speeds -- particularly when going uphill. So while on the road trip I took the car to the Lexus dealership that sold me the car. A senior tech (18 years with Lexus) road with me for a 17-mile test drive. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the upshifting/uphill behavior, but I could reproduce the "surge." In his view that behavior wasn't abnormal. Let me be clear -- the tech wasn't trying to brush me off. He offered to keep the car and have a regional expert come in to take things further.

I asked him if the TSB was done correctly. He explained that it was. He also ran a complete diagnostic on the RX and showed me the results (all normal; no codes). The transmission was calibrated correctly.

The tech did ask me if the battery had been disconnected lately. I said no. He then mentioned that a disconnect will trigger a transmission relearn procedure. So I asked him to disconnect my battery to trigger a relearn. He did. I've driven ~10 miles since then and the transmission behavior is much improved.

One thing that's been troubling me is why the '17 RX shifts so differently than the 8-speed in my '20 ES. I thought that Lexus used the same Aisin 8-speed in all applications, but I was wrong:

'17 RX FWD: U881E
'17 RX AWD: U881F
'20 ES: UA80E

Old 06-06-20, 05:33 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I had the TSB done back in May. On a road trip this week I started to notice occasional hard downshifts/surges on deceleration and more pronounced upshifting at high speeds -- particularly when going uphill. So while on the road trip I took the car to the Lexus dealership that sold me the car. A senior tech (18 years with Lexus) road with me for a 17-mile test drive. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the upshifting/uphill behavior, but I could reproduce the "surge." In his view that behavior wasn't abnormal. Let me be clear -- the tech wasn't trying to brush me off. He offered to keep the car and have a regional expert come in to take things further.

I asked him if the TSB was done correctly. He explained that it was. He also ran a complete diagnostic on the RX and showed me the results (all normal; no codes). The transmission was calibrated correctly.

The tech did ask me if the battery had been disconnected lately. I said no. He then mentioned that a disconnect will trigger a transmission relearn procedure. So I asked him to disconnect my battery to trigger a relearn. He did. I've driven ~10 miles since then and the transmission behavior is much improved.

One thing that's been troubling me is why the '17 RX shifts so differently than the 8-speed in my '20 ES. I thought that Lexus used the same Aisin 8-speed in all applications, but I was wrong:

'17 RX FWD: U881E
'17 RX AWD: U881F
'20 ES: UA80E
The transmission maybe the same but the software mapping is what makes the decisions on when/how it changes. The RX is a heavy thing and the mapping is heavily aimed at fuel economy in normal mode.

The hard downshifts are normal in the RX, I'm in Australia with a Jap built car and it does it, only occasionally and quite random. I regularly go on a 1,400 km round trip to visit family, same road everytime and just out of the blue a hard downshift will happen. It's so random and infrequent that I haven't bothered having it looked at.

Yes disconnecting the battery will reset the transmission, it learns your driving style and adapts the gear changes to your style. Do you have more than one person regularly driving your car? If so and one person is a hard driver (fast, large throttle openings) and the other is gentle (slow, feathering the throttle) it will screw up the learning process and the transmission may struggle to suit both of you.
Old 06-06-20, 05:51 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

I'm the only driver!

I agree that it seems that the transmission is programmed to reach the highest gear ASAP (in normal mode).

The hard downshifts are definitely intermittent. I guess what surprises me are the vast differences in shifting between my RX and ES. The ES shifts like butter. But you're right -- they're different vehicles!
Old 07-02-20, 02:29 PM
spenbaba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2017 RX350 with the same downshift clunk problem when I slow down for a light. It also jerks when I accelerate sometimes at highway speeds. The dealer tells me there are no service bulletins to fix this. Does anyone have further information on this issue?
Old 07-02-20, 02:39 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spenbaba
I'm new to this forum. I have a 2017 RX350 with the same downshift clunk problem when I slow down for a light. It also jerks when I accelerate sometimes at highway speeds. The dealer tells me there are no service bulletins to fix this. Does anyone have further information on this issue?
There's a TSB that'll recalibrate the transmission. It'll help but not completely solve the problem. After the TSB my RX shifts much better in everyday driving; the downshift clunks and upshift jerking are less frequent.

The TSB number is upthread. Once it's done make sure that the tech disconnects the battery to reset everything.
Old 07-14-20, 12:32 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmonster
For those in Canada is the dealer applying L-SB-0032-19_Rev for you?

I contacted my local dealer in the Toronto area and he told me L-SB-0032-19_Rev is for US vehicles only. I'm dropping off my car later this week so they can "hook it up to the computer to see if anything can be applied".
Did it end up getting resolved? Which dealer did you take it to? My warranty is coming up (79000km now and expires at October), gonna try my luck at the nearest dealership first to see if anything can be done

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)