RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 07:55 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

In cold Canadian morning his car warms up in one minutes? Sounds funny alright. I am in Calgary Alberta. Last night it was -29C. When I remote start the car in the morning it was -21C. At least it took 2 block's driving before engine temp. gauge needle started moving. Even with automatic climate control in max. automatic setting.
Old 01-09-17, 07:57 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
It's entertaining to watch a group of teenagers sit around a take and "chat". Not a word can be heard.
Forgot hearing aid?, LOL!
Old 01-09-17, 08:06 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
It's entertaining to watch a group of teenagers sit around a take and "chat". Not a word can be heard.
Hi, Toyotaman, do you know what Toyota means? First of all in Japanese, there is no sound of 'T' Doyoda is more Japanese sounding. '豊田',
direct translated 'abundant field' meaning 'field producing good harvest' 'Nissan' , '日産' = Japanese product. I was a teenager once, LOL
Looks like you folka over there have more snow on the ground than here. Look at those ding bats speeding on 401 causing major pile up....
Old 01-10-17, 06:38 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though I live in Chicago, I don't find myself using the remote start (or other Enform Remote features) often enough to justify the $249 per year cost.
Instead I'll install the Viper remote start with smartphone control. Even with the yearly fee it will still be more cost effective after less than 3 years. I tend to keep my cars for a long time so paying $249 a year just doesn't make sense for me. $66 per year for the Viper seems more reasonable.
And comparing the Enform remote start to the Viper on my girlfriends car, the Viper is more reliable. The Enform fails to start about 50% of the time on the first try. The Viper starts closer to 90% of the time on the first try.
Old 01-10-17, 09:21 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gibster
Even though I live in Chicago, I don't find myself using the remote start (or other Enform Remote features) often enough to justify the $249 per year cost.
Instead I'll install the Viper remote start with smartphone control. Even with the yearly fee it will still be more cost effective after less than 3 years. I tend to keep my cars for a long time so paying $249 a year just doesn't make sense for me. $66 per year for the Viper seems more reasonable.
And comparing the Enform remote start to the Viper on my girlfriends car, the Viper is more reliable. The Enform fails to start about 50% of the time on the first try. The Viper starts closer to 90% of the time on the first try.
Viper? They are commonly used because of price. Can Viper let you use smart key fob? Can you start engine with smart key by pushing lock key 3 times? Lock-Lock-Lock, engine starts? iDATAlink HCx series or Fortin EVO-One can do that and just one module plus about dozen wires to hook up. More reliable and simple to install. Drone is smartphone compatible module.
Old 01-10-17, 01:09 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Hi, Toyotaman, do you know what Toyota means? First of all in Japanese, there is no sound of 'T' Doyoda is more Japanese sounding. '豊田',
direct translated 'abundant field' meaning 'field producing good harvest' 'Nissan' , '日産' = Japanese product. I was a teenager once, LOL
Looks like you folka over there have more snow on the ground than here. Look at those ding bats speeding on 401 causing major pile up....
Yup, Freezing rain and snow now. Transport trucks don't slow down.. Snow, ice or dry roads, same speed. Until someone stops. Then they just plow through all the cars. I guess they figure they have all those cars as crumple zone, so they are safe.
Old 01-11-17, 06:30 AM
Gibster
Driver

Originally Posted by Htony
Viper? They are commonly used because of price. Can Viper let you use smart key fob? Can you start engine with smart key by pushing lock key 3 times? Lock-Lock-Lock, engine starts? iDATAlink HCx series or Fortin EVO-One can do that and just one module plus about dozen wires to hook up. More reliable and simple to install. Drone is smartphone compatible module.
I would start the car with my smart phone. The Lexus key fob is already too bulky for me so I prefer not to add another remote to my key chain.
Viper does offer a system that includes a remote key fob for those that prefer that option as well as smart phone control.

So obviously there are several manufacturers that offer systems for those that are looking for options other than Lexus Enform.

I'm curious to hear why you feel the systems other than Viper are more reliable.
Old 01-11-17, 07:00 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe he is going by the reviews on the unit like these on Crutchfield.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_607VSM300/Viper-VSM300-SmartStart-Module.html?tp=155#customer-reviews-tab\

https://www.amazon.com/Viper-SmartSt...r+remote+start

https://www.amazon.com/Viper-Smart-Start-System-VSS4000/dp/B002WDGW4Q/ref=sr_1_45?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484147168&sr=1-45&keywords=viper+remote+start

But to be fair I'm not sure of the exact model that would work on our RX.
The Viper site isn't clear on that.

Anyone knows what exact model I should research?

Last edited by bootman; 01-11-17 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 10:10 AM
Gibster
Driver

The Viper system I've been considering is Viper SmartStart Remote Start System. It does not include a remote fob as I will use my smartphone only. There are other systems that allow adding the smart phone feature if a remote fob or other options (security system) are needed.
The Viper website allows you to see systems compatible with specific vehicles.

https://www.viper.com/car/build/

The Viper system on my girlfriends car has been trouble free for over 5 years. It was professionally installed.
Old 01-12-17, 05:23 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

I setup enform and have the same issue as others, as soon as we touch the door the car shuts off.

Does anyone know a fix for this? Do we need to subscribe to a certain level of Enform in order for the car to stay on when we get in?
Old 01-12-17, 06:13 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95bat
I setup enform and have the same issue as others, as soon as we touch the door the car shuts off.

Does anyone know a fix for this? Do we need to subscribe to a certain level of Enform in order for the car to stay on when we get in?
All newer cars do that. You can't take over the car without the killing the engine(when door opened) Older cars without PBS take over without killing eingine was
possible like open door put key in the ignition turn it to ignition on position, step on the brake. As far as I know there is no fix. I think it bacame like that to prevent
theft.
Old 01-12-17, 06:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat

It's not an issue. The RX will turn off when the door handle is touched. That's been a common complaint since remote start was introduced on the 3RX. IMO it's not a big deal. I have to step on the brake pedal to get into gear. The start button is right there.
Old 01-13-17, 04:26 AM
dougef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, my daughter's Subaru came with built in remote start. As soon as she unlocks the door, the engine stops. As others have said, this is a standard theft prevention feature and likely not changeable.
Old 01-13-17, 06:58 AM
Gibster
Driver

Just another reason for me to consider an aftermarket system. On my previous '05 RX, the aftermarket remote starter required me to use their remote to unlock the doors if the remote starter had been activated. A minor pain to use an alternate remote but it did override the auto-shutoff when opening the door.

I'm finding more reasons to install an aftermarket starter every day. The $249 annual fee is the prime reason.
Old 01-13-17, 12:29 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dougef
FWIW, my daughter's Subaru came with built in remote start. As soon as she unlocks the door, the engine stops. As others have said, this is a standard theft prevention feature and likely not changeable.
I don't think it's a case of theft prevention. The doors are locked when remote start is used. Only the key can be used to unlock the door. Saying it's theft prevention is like saying that the manufacturer has no faith in their locks. If the their was smart enough to bypass the door, they are probably smart enough to bypass the ignition.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!