RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 01:12 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
say, my dealer mentioned there was a piece of hardware that can be installed in the vehicle, for the remote start to work to work on the fob and not need a subscription.
does anyone have any information on this ??
thanks.
They have a kit for that. Check the cost.
Old 10-20-17, 03:09 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
excellent, glad to hear.
Old 10-23-17, 05:41 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i need to be clear...my enform expires Nov 22, 2017. I rec'd a bill for $350 to renew. If I do not renew will I be able to start my vehicle with my fob simply using my car remote? Not that it works great b/c it does not, nor does starting from my smart phone.
Old 10-23-17, 06:01 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
i need to be clear...my enform expires Nov 22, 2017. I rec'd a bill for $350 to renew. If I do not renew will I be able to start my vehicle with my fob simply using my car remote? Not that it works great b/c it does not, nor does starting from my smart phone.
No, you will not be able to use the fob to remote start the vehicle without a subscription.

A subscription that includes Enform Remote, Safety Connect, and Service Connect will cost $160 per year. If you want Enform Remote, Safety Connect, Service Connect, and Enform Destinations, the subscription will be $240 per year.

http://www.lexus.com/enform/availability-pricing
Old 10-23-17, 06:22 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
No, you will not be able to use the fob to remote start the vehicle without a subscription.

A subscription that includes Enform Remote, Safety Connect, and Service Connect will cost $160 per year. If you want Enform Remote, Safety Connect, Service Connect, and Enform Destinations, the subscription will be $240 per year.

http://www.lexus.com/enform/availability-pricing
several dealers have informed me there is a piece of hardware to install to remote start the vehicle WITHOUT a subscription, that works with the fob

Last edited by JSracer; 10-23-17 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-23-17, 06:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

several dealers have informed me there is a piece of hardware to install to remote start the vehicle WITHOUT a subscription,
Yes, you would need to install a different remote starter.
Old 10-23-17, 07:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

several dealers have informed me there is a piece of hardware to install to remote start the vehicle WITHOUT a subscription, that works with the fob
I've seen a few posts in which people have have claimed that there is some device that can be installed that will allow the Lexus remote start work via the fob without a subscription, but I don't recall having seen any posts from people who have confirmed that they have actually been able to install such a device and that it has actually worked.

Even if such a device does exist, I question whether it would make much sense to have such a device installed. First, if the cost of the device was a few hundred dollars, it would still only work with using the fob to remote start, and, with the Lexus remote start system, the fob only works to start the car at distances less than 100 feet and when there are no other objects between the car and the fob to block the signal.

For me, if I had to spend a few hundred dollars just to get a poorly functioning fob start to work without a subscription, I think I'd choose to pay for the Enform Remote subscription and have the added functionality of being able to use the phone app to start the car. Plus, the subscription would also include the Safety Connect feature. Further, for many Lexus models, including the RX from the 2018 model year going forward, the Enform Remote subscription will only be $80 per year. Again, I could not justify spending money to modify the Lexus system to be able only to use the fob to start the car when any cost savings would be minimal or non-existent compared to what it would cost just to pay for a subscription that would allow full functionality of the system and include the Safety Connect feature.
Old 10-23-17, 07:15 AM
JSracer
Instructor

for many Lexus models, including the RX from the 2018 model year going forward, the Enform Remote subscription will only be $80 per year.

the 18rx comes with a free 10 years of service, possibly why the reduced rate.
interesting points, for sure.
Old 10-23-17, 07:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

for many Lexus models, including the RX from the 2018 model year going forward, the Enform Remote subscription will only be $80 per year.

the 18rx comes with a free 10 years of service, possibly why the reduced rate.
interesting points, for sure.
For the 2018 RX, what comes free for 10 years is the Safety Connect and Service Connect subscriptions, but the Enform Remote subscription will be $80 per year. For the 2017 and earlier RX, the combination of Enform Remote, Safety Connect, and Service Connect subscriptions (which can't be bought separately) will cost $160 per year.
Old 10-23-17, 08:42 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I've seen a few posts in which people have have claimed that there is some device that can be installed that will allow the Lexus remote start work via the fob without a subscription, but I don't recall having seen any posts from people who have confirmed that they have actually been able to install such a device and that it has actually worked.

Even if such a device does exist, I question whether it would make much sense to have such a device installed. First, if the cost of the device was a few hundred dollars, it would still only work with using the fob to remote start, and, with the Lexus remote start system, the fob only works to start the car at distances less than 100 feet and when there are no other objects between the car and the fob to block the signal.

For me, if I had to spend a few hundred dollars just to get a poorly functioning fob start to work without a subscription, I think I'd choose to pay for the Enform Remote subscription and have the added functionality of being able to use the phone app to start the car. Plus, the subscription would also include the Safety Connect feature. Further, for many Lexus models, including the RX from the 2018 model year going forward, the Enform Remote subscription will only be $80 per year. Again, I could not justify spending money to modify the Lexus system to be able only to use the fob to start the car when any cost savings would be minimal or non-existent compared to what it would cost just to pay for a subscription that would allow full functionality of the system and include the Safety Connect feature.

It was called RES+ when it debuted, but not sure if it still called that. I remember seeing the installation instructions for installing it in my '13 ES, and it was quite extensive.
Old 10-23-17, 03:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
It was called RES+ when it debuted, but not sure if it still called that. I remember seeing the installation instructions for installing it in my '13 ES, and it was quite extensive.
RES was the original remote start system available on the 3RX. It activated using the key fob. RES+ was introduced later, around 2012, and could be activated using a cell phone. It required a subscription, IIRC about $65/year. Then it became part of Enform. Cost of RES/RES+ plus installation was as much as $1,000. I lucked out and paid less than $400 for RES and installation at port on my '10 RXh.
Old 10-28-17, 12:05 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Well my Enform subscription ran out yesterday and guess what my key fob will no longer start the car.
You would think that for $54k you would at least be able to use the key fob. I guess Lexus just wants to squeeze every penny from us.
Old 10-28-17, 01:16 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Well my Enform subscription ran out yesterday and guess what my key fob will no longer start the car.
This has been known for a couple years. You weren't surprised, were you?
Old 10-28-17, 02:28 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Only suprise is the price of the subscription. Think about this, you keep your car for ten years at $360 per year.
That totals to $3600 dollars to keep your remote start working. I think that's just a bit to much!!
Anyone else feel this way?
Old 10-28-17, 02:40 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Only suprise is the price of the subscription. Think about this, you keep your car for ten years at $360 per year.
That totals to $3600 dollars to keep your remote start working. I think that's just a bit to much!!
Anyone else feel this way?
Lexus does, which is why in 2018 it is becoming complimentary for 10 years. Only for new models of course.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!