RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 03:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Lexus does, which is why in 2018 it is becoming complimentary for 10 years. Only for new models of course.
That is not correct. What is complimentary for 10 years on many 2018 Lexus models is the Service Connect and Safety Connect. Enform Remote service will still require an $80 per year subscription.

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Only suprise is the price of the subscription. Think about this, you keep your car for ten years at $360 per year.
That totals to $3600 dollars to keep your remote start working. I think that's just a bit to much!!
Anyone else feel this way?
That is not correct, either. The cost of the subscription for a 2017 or 2016 RX is $160 per year, and that subscription includes the Enform Remote, Safety Connect, and Service Connect. As stated above, the cost for Enform Remote for a 2018 RX will be $80 per year (because, for the 2018 RX, Safety Connect and Service Connect are free).

http://www.lexus.com/enform/availability-pricing
Old 10-31-17, 02:29 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Adding 3X Lock remote start to a 4th Gen RX350 is possible and only costs about $60, if you do it yourself. It will allow the factory remotes to start the engine and allow it to run for 15 minutes ( run time is programable ). It will also shutdown the engine when any door is opened, just like the factory system. You would need to obtain an ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the ADS-AL(RS)-TL7 firmware. The kit includes the necessary harnesses. The installation process would require you to remove some dash trim panels for wire connection access. Proper installation would include soldering the necessary ADS AL-CA wires to the correct vehicle wires. Think there are 9 wire connections needed. This is detailed in the Installation Guide. Here is a link to the guide :

" http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RS-TL7/ADS-AL(RS)-TL7-[ADS-ALCA]-EN_20170926.pdf "

The chart on Page 2 shows the supported functions of the ADS AL-CA module and the wiring guide diagram is on Pages 10 and 11. I have a slightly different unit in my 2016 RX350. It still does the 3X Lock remote start from the factory remotes, but also has it's own remotes that give me a 1 mile range and confirmation indications that the commands ( Lock, Unlock, Tailgate open/close and Remote Start ) were accomplished. DIY installation can be intimidating for a novice with little experience in vehicle wiring and soldering. I'm not sure what a professional shop would charge for the install. It would be nice if Lexus would allow the 3X Lock remote start to function without the yearly fee ( and without the Enform Remote service/iphone app ) for all 4th GEN RX350's.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 10-31-17 at 02:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skarface (12-12-17)
Old 10-31-17, 09:46 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yes, you would need to install a different remote starter.

Mine is 2016. I have added a third party remote starter by the dealer when I bought my RX. A couple of months later Lexus came out with their own add-on remote starter. I guess we have this in Canada because we don't have the Enform application, and for the cold weather it is a must.

But I am pretty sure that anywhere you can buy a 400$ remote starter that has it's own remote which is subscription free. The only drawback is that you have to be within range. I don't know the specs of my starter but it starts from more than 200 feet appart, which is more than sufficient for me.
Old 10-31-17, 10:20 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with FlopTop4 above. I put remote starters in my 2012 Maxima ($113), 2016 Jeep Wrangler ($93) and 2015 RX-350 ($139). All worked with the key FOB three presses and all came pre-flashed for my specific car from ebay sellers. If you want to move from the sub $70 remote starters into the $90+ range you can get them with 2 or 3 pre-wired harnesses that just require you to unplug, for example, your brake pedal connector, plug the remote harness connector into the brake pedal and finally plug the original brake pedal connector into the final harness connector. The only exception was that on the Maxima I have to manually solder one wire onto the start button wire harness. With both the Jeep and the Maxima I could remote start, unlock the doors, and drive away without stopping the engine. Totally secure because in both cases the key has to present to shift out of park and drive the vehicle away. These same remote start systems run $250 - $350 installed locally if you don't want to do it yourself. For a few more bucks you can smart phone linked starters with long distance start capability and feedback that the car actually started. For the 3 starters I installed the remote run time was programmable from 10 to 15 minutes. What gripes me the most is that the car already has the remote FOB capability built into it!!!!!!!!! Then they disable it when your Enform subscription runs out????? Why not just have a one time charge to enable the FOB three lock button press remote start for something like $150?
Old 10-31-17, 11:29 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

What gripes me the most is that the car already has the remote FOB capability built into it!!!!!!!!! Then they disable it when your Enform subscription runs out????? Why not just have a one time charge to enable the FOB three lock button press remote start for something like $150?

Exactly my thoughts, guess it's all about the mighty dollar. Lexus Is getting greedy just like every other car company.
The following 2 users liked this post by tdjacw:
Annue61 (12-11-17), Bearcat (10-31-17)
Old 11-01-17, 12:49 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

What gripes me the most is that the car already has the remote FOB capability built into it!!!!!!!!! Then they disable it when your Enform subscription runs out????? Why not just have a one time charge to enable the FOB three lock button press remote start for something like $150?

Exactly my thoughts, guess it's all about the mighty dollar. Lexus Is getting greedy just like every other car company.
We can shame them into unlocking this feature via social media and news outlets. :P
The following 2 users liked this post by ericsan13:
17450 (11-01-17), mspearl95 (11-01-17)
Old 11-01-17, 02:12 PM
pjank1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 2006 LS430, that sets off the ALARM. Doesn't start the car.
Old 11-01-17, 05:57 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm just waiting for some hacker to find the bit in the computer's microcode that turns this feature on LOL!
Old 12-11-17, 08:29 PM
Annue61
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote start

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Having to have an active Enform subscription should not make a difference unless Lexus went out of it's way to make it so. The fob based remote start feature should not involve Enform.

But Lexus does like to sell it's Enform services so . . . . .
Well it does and I'm not very happy about it . I have a 2016 350 GS F , and after one year I lost the remote start, because I did not buy the app. I personally think it's crap.
Old 12-11-17, 08:33 PM
Annue61
Driver School Candidate

Smile

agreed !!!
Old 12-11-17, 08:35 PM
Annue61
Driver School Candidate

I agree 100 percent !!!
Old 12-12-17, 04:44 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't think it is built-in.

In Canada I bought my remote starter and I have a separate remote for it. If it was built-in, why not sell me the one they already have???
Old 12-12-17, 12:30 PM
skarface
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Adding 3X Lock remote start to a 4th Gen RX350 is possible and only costs about $60, if you do it yourself. It will allow the factory remotes to start the engine and allow it to run for 15 minutes ( run time is programable ). It will also shutdown the engine when any door is opened, just like the factory system. You would need to obtain an ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the ADS-AL(RS)-TL7 firmware. The kit includes the necessary harnesses. The installation process would require you to remove some dash trim panels for wire connection access. Proper installation would include soldering the necessary ADS AL-CA wires to the correct vehicle wires. Think there are 9 wire connections needed. This is detailed in the Installation Guide. Here is a link to the guide :

" http://images.idatalink.com/corporat...DS-AL(RS)-TL7-[ADS-ALCA]-EN_20170926.pdf "

The chart on Page 2 shows the supported functions of the ADS AL-CA module and the wiring guide diagram is on Pages 10 and 11. I have a slightly different unit in my 2016 RX350. It still does the 3X Lock remote start from the factory remotes, but also has it's own remotes that give me a 1 mile range and confirmation indications that the commands ( Lock, Unlock, Tailgate open/close and Remote Start ) were accomplished. DIY installation can be intimidating for a novice with little experience in vehicle wiring and soldering. I'm not sure what a professional shop would charge for the install. It would be nice if Lexus would allow the 3X Lock remote start to function without the yearly fee ( and without the Enform Remote service/iphone app ) for all 4th GEN RX350's.
So there are not issues using the module? Works like factory? Anyone else try this? Is there a solder-less version that would make installation a bit easier to DIY? Thanks!

Last edited by skarface; 12-12-17 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-12-17, 04:25 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

So there are not issues using the module? Works like factory? Anyone else try this? Is there a solder-less version that would make installation a bit easier to DIY? Thanks!

The system I installed had been working flawlessly. The wife likes getting into a warm car with a warm seat. Unfortunately, iDatalink does not make a T-Harness for this install, so all the connections would have to be manually connected. I always solder these connections for complete reliability. I also have a thermal wire stripper that makes removing insulation a breeze. I personally would not recommend using splice connectors like T-Taps due to their vibration related reliability issues. If you were closer.....
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (12-13-17)
Old 12-14-17, 12:41 PM
behnammavi
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We need diy for this, I’m not going to pay for Enform. My last option is install viper starter with separate remote.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!