RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 07:51 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Adding 3X Lock remote start to a 4th Gen RX350 is possible and only costs about $60, if you do it yourself. It will allow the factory remotes to start the engine and allow it to run for 15 minutes ( run time is programable ). It will also shutdown the engine when any door is opened, just like the factory system. You would need to obtain an ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the ADS-AL(RS)-TL7 firmware. The kit includes the necessary harnesses. The installation process would require you to remove some dash trim panels for wire connection access. Proper installation would include soldering the necessary ADS AL-CA wires to the correct vehicle wires. Think there are 9 wire connections needed. This is detailed in the Installation Guide. Here is a link to the guide :

" http://images.idatalink.com/corporat...DS-AL(RS)-TL7-[ADS-ALCA]-EN_20170926.pdf "

The chart on Page 2 shows the supported functions of the ADS AL-CA module and the wiring guide diagram is on Pages 10 and 11. I have a slightly different unit in my 2016 RX350. It still does the 3X Lock remote start from the factory remotes, but also has it's own remotes that give me a 1 mile range and confirmation indications that the commands ( Lock, Unlock, Tailgate open/close and Remote Start ) were accomplished. DIY installation can be intimidating for a novice with little experience in vehicle wiring and soldering. I'm not sure what a professional shop would charge for the install. It would be nice if Lexus would allow the 3X Lock remote start to function without the yearly fee ( and without the Enform Remote service/iphone app ) for all 4th GEN RX350's.
Where did you purchase your module from?
Old 12-15-17, 04:04 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Where did you purchase your module from?

I get the bypass modules in quantities of 16 or more at a time. I run a side business installing Remote Start systems. For the DIYer, you have one slight obstacle. The actual bypass module needed is the ADS AL-CA or it's OEM cousin, the FLCAN. These modules can be purchased from many online ( EBay, etc ) sellers. Of course all the usual "buyer beware" warnings that go along with that should be observed. The obstacle is getting the seller to flash the correct firmware on the module ( RS TL-7 ) prior to shipment. There are some that will do that for you, either as a free service of for a slight upcharge ( ~ $5 ). The firmware flash requires a special PC cable from iDatalink named the ADS USB cable ( ~ $35 ) and dealer access to their WEB site. Without the cable and WEB site access you would have no way to verify that the correct firmware was actually flashed on to the module.
Old 12-17-17, 11:45 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

lol, dumb question, but if you remote start a 450, the climate control and seats go to the desired settings ?? do the front or rear defrost also based on outside temperature ?? (feedback on the 350 is appreciated also)

thanks!
Old 12-17-17, 12:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
lol, dumb question, but if you remote start a 450, the climate control and seats go to the desired settings ?? do the front or rear defrost also based on outside temperature ?? (feedback on the 350 is appreciated also)

thanks!
Main purpose is to start the engine but yes, if you have set the cooling or defrosint switch once engine starts it'll do that too. I had 450h once I used HC2 kit from iDATAlink. For me wirring soldering, reading schematics is no problem but removing dash panels, covers where I am not good with. Just retired EE, DIY'er.
Old 12-17-17, 01:13 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned here...
I am very disappointed with the Lexus remote starter.

1. The range is extremely short without the starter fob. The three push and hold method...works only about 20-25ft away.
2. 10 flashes before it actually turn the motor. Combination with above short range, the car started when I got to the door
3. It shuts off when you open the door. Combination of 1,2,and 3, the motor shut off 2 seconds after it started lol.

So, can it be reprogrammed? Sure the range can not be but the warning flashes and the shutting off when door is open. Can it be altered?
Old 12-17-17, 02:14 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

One thing that can't be changed is that the engine will shutdown as soon as a door in opened. Even the aftermarket systems have that same limitation.

With my iDataStart HC3 system using the long range remotes, the Parking Lights flash once, the engine starts and then the Parking Lights come on and stay on for the duration of the remote start engine run time. If I start the engine using the factory FOB and 3 Locks in a row, the Parking Lights will flash with each lock, the engine will start and then the Parking Lights will come on for the run time.
Old 12-17-17, 02:28 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Elation
Not sure if this was mentioned here...
I am very disappointed with the Lexus remote starter.

1. The range is extremely short without the starter fob. The three push and hold method...works only about 20-25ft away.
2. 10 flashes before it actually turn the motor. Combination with above short range, the car started when I got to the door
3. It shuts off when you open the door. Combination of 1,2,and 3, the motor shut off 2 seconds after it started lol.

So, can it be reprogrammed? Sure the range can not be but the warning flashes and the shutting off when door is open. Can it be altered?
If you must use OEM fob you need a after market lock-lock-lock module with RF kit extend range to like 3000 feet). If you push lock button 3 times
car will start and push it 3 times it'll turn off. Now new cars all turn off engine when you open the door(just little inconvenience).

Last edited by Htony; 12-17-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 02:36 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Htony
If you must use OEM fob you need a after market lock-lock-lock module with RF kitto extend range to like 3000 feet). If you push lock button 3 times
car will start and push it 3 times it'll turn off. Now new cars all turn off engine when you open the door(jist little inconvenience).
Original remote can be extended?
​​​​​​2 way remotes are the way to fly.

Guess I'll have to explore my options more.
The app remote start seems hokey compared to a 2 way, guess I'll play with it next week, i hope.
Old 12-17-17, 03:30 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

One thing that can't be changed is that the engine will shutdown as soon as a door in opened. Even the aftermarket systems have that same limitation.
With my iDataStart HC3 system using the long range remotes, the Parking Lights flash once, the engine starts and then the Parking Lights come on and stay on for the duration of the remote start engine run time. If I start the engine using the factory FOB and 3 Locks in a row, the Parking Lights will flash with each lock, the engine will start and then the Parking Lights will come on for the run time.
I'm assuming the "engine shuts off when door is opened" is an anti theft thing?
Old 12-17-17, 03:47 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ford.Lincoln, it doesn't shut off as long as you push the Start button with brake engaged as if you start the car normally.
That's a smarter way.
Why do some (Toyota) make you start the engine twice in cold weather.
Old 12-17-17, 03:57 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Elation
Ford.Lincoln, it doesn't shut off as long as you push the Start button with brake engaged as if you start the car normally.
That's a smarter way.
Why do some (Toyota) make you start the engine twice in cold weather.
You have to do it you have to open the door to get in. It is safety feature I was told. First thing when remote start all the doors are locked. If door is open
engine shuts off thinking of intruder. Personally it does not bother much. Thinking of German cars, BMW, Audi, MB(at least what we have) remote starter
i stall is quite more difficult but can be done by couple different method; like one method has to sacrifice one smart key permanently to make the bypass work.
Shops charge double, triple for these cars. When I do the install. I always take extreme care not make mistakes in wiring. Even air bag can deploy or you can fry ECU
for that matter.
Old 12-19-17, 05:51 AM
JSracer
Instructor

KEY TAKEOVER FOLLOWING REMOTE START Available on some vehicles, the ‘key takeover’ procedure ensures that your engine does not turn off when entering the car during the remote start runtime, following a remote start command. Follow the instructions below or scan the QR code to view a video tutorial.

from the hc3 manual, guessing this doesn't work on the rx ??
thinking of adding the hc2 or hc3 to mine., seems like a better long term option.
Old 12-19-17, 04:25 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

While "key-take-over" is possible on some vehicles, I know of no remote start manufacturer that has a product that will allow it on the 4th Gen RX. If you look at the HC3 install guide in the RX350 section, Page 3 of 8, Warning #5 states :
NO TAKEOVER AVAILABLE. UPON OPENING VEHICLE DOOR ENGINE WILL SHUTDOWN
The same warning can be found in the following install section for the RX450h.

My understanding is that the engine must be shutdown to allow the vehicles computers to reset after the remote start or system faults might occur. Restarting the engine re-initializes everything and the vehicle is happy and back to normal. Remember that the aftermarket remote start system must integrate with the vehicles systems and work with and follow the manufacturers rules.

As a side note, Fortin had a product offering that would allow "key-take-over" on the previous gen Highlander with push-to-start but pulled the unit and firmware off the market. Seems their way of bypassing the "engine shutdown on door opening" rule also allowed the driver to get in and drive off without the Factory FOB. A few people got stuck hundreds of miles from their home without the FOB to restart their vehicle when they stopped for gas..........

Last edited by FlopTop04; 01-01-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 03:36 AM
JSracer
Instructor

^^^ got ya, thanks !!!
Old 12-20-17, 12:51 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

There have been accounts of folks driving to the Train Station where the driver
gets out (with the key) and hops the train. Partner comes around and heads
home (without the key). All is well as long as they get all the way home and park.
Hilarity ensues when a side trip is made to the store...or alternately, a close friends house.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!