RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 01:10 PM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The safety issue is that anybody can just drive off without keys as long as the car is on. They can go wherever they want and if they don't shut it off they can keep driving.
The last car I had with remote start did not shut off when I opened the door. You would not be able to shift it into gear without the keys in the car.
Old 12-20-17, 05:05 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by SirKong
The safety issue is that anybody can just drive off without keys as long as the car is on. They can go wherever they want and if they don't shut it off they can keep driving.
The last car I had with remote start did not shut off when I opened the door. You would not be able to shift it into gear without the keys in the car.
That seems like a better way of doing it.
Old 01-01-18, 11:27 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
say, my dealer mentioned there was a piece of hardware that can be installed in the vehicle, for the remote start to work to work on the fob and not need a subscription.
does anyone have any information on this ??
thanks.
I've gone through this thread but cannot see if anyone has specifically confirmed whether a Lexus dealer can do a hardware install or underhood tweak that would allow remote start from the fob after expiration of the Enform 1 year free trial. After all, since my fob starts my 2017 RX350 with my smartphone off I have to believe that the communications is just between the fob and the car. I suspect that when the Enform sub ends Lexus will just send a satellite signal to the car to interrupt the remote function. Three years ago I had our local Lexus dealer install a Lexus remote starter on my 2014 ES for $530 ($400 parts + $130 labor) which works great to this day. Most or all of this type of hardware must already sit under the hood of my RX. So, has anyone determined if this previously mentioned hardware addition option at Lexus (I'd rather not go 3rd party) really exists and if so, what is the cost?
Old 01-01-18, 02:04 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

I would have a hard time paying many hundreds of dollars, and use the original fob, the range is not very good.
i would much prefer a long range 2 way remote.

My dealer did say he hey can do a remote start with the or fob, not sure if it's just plug and play, or if splicing is needed.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 01-01-18, 02:33 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I would have a hard time paying many hundreds of dollars, and use the original fob, the range is not very good.

My dealer did say he hey can do a remote start with the or fob, not sure if it's just plug and play, or if splicing is needed.
If range matters, only option is using after market one with RF kit(to extend range). You can do 3-lock engine start on/off. If you push lock button 3 times it'll start, push 3 times again it'll stop. Or you can program run time like 5-10-15 minutes. Wiring is minimal like dozen or so. If you think of T harness type, it has poor range. Would you be happy with range of less than 50 feet? Consult your local specialty shop where MECP holder is working. All your question will be answered.
Old 01-01-18, 05:15 PM
sderman
Advanced

Thanks. Since our cars are garaged I am fine with the range of the fob since we would primarily be using it in the winter to start the car typically outside of a friends house or another place close nearby. I would also rather keep the car fully OEM for warranty reasons and frankly have some minor concerns about long range starters and hackers who seem to be getting into everything these days. On price, I am willing to pay a few hundred bucks since it is a one time fee and I generally keep my cars for a while. Of course once I pay that fee, Lexus will then take the generous step to make engine starting complementary.

Last edited by sderman; 01-01-18 at 05:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-01-18, 07:01 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sderman
Thanks. Since our cars are garaged I am fine with the range of the fob since we would primarily be using it in the winter to start the car typically outside of a friends house or another place close nearby. I would also rather keep the car fully OEM for warranty reasons and frankly have some minor concerns about long range starters and hackers who seem to be getting into everything these days. On price, I am willing to pay a few hundred bucks since it is a one time fee and I generally keep my cars for a while. Of course once I pay that fee, Lexus will then take the generous step to make engine starting complementary.
If you go shopping and car is parked outdoor quite a distance from the mall or super market. Can you start the car like across parking lot? I can with iDATAlink HC2 kit. Yes you have to carry two fobs. Lexus smart key function is handy but after market fob is about half size of that of Lexus and light in weight.
Old 01-01-18, 08:23 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Htony
If you go shopping and car is parked outdoor quite a distance from the mall or super market. Can you start the car like across parking lot? I can with iDATAlink HC2 kit. Yes you have to carry two fobs. Lexus smart key function is handy but after market fob is about half size of that of Lexus and light in weight.
We are all different, but I for one would not be comfortable starting a car quite a distance from me in a large mall parking lot. I realize the car powers off when you open the door so no one will steal it, but you still risk having possessions stolen from the interior. Now, if the doors stay locked until you and your fob nears the car...and then the doors unlock and for added safety the engine turns off...well I am all for that.
Old 01-02-18, 06:05 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

We are all different, but I for one would not be comfortable starting a car quite a distance from me in a large mall parking lot. I realize the car powers off when you open the door so no one will steal it, but you still risk having possessions stolen from the interior. Now, if the doors stay locked until you and your fob nears the car...and then the doors unlock and for added safety the engine turns off...well I am all for that.
When you remote start your vehicle, the doors do not unlock. That would be stupid.
Old 01-02-18, 06:21 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
When you remote start your vehicle, the doors do not unlock. That would be stupid.
LOL! I'll say. First thing remote starter checks is to make sure all doors are locked. If there is unlocked door it'll lock it B4 starting the car.
May be paranoia? Yes, every one is different....One can smash the glass to steal something, then one needs alarm system for that.
Old 01-02-18, 06:34 AM
sderman
Advanced

What I am simply trying to determine is whether anyone has had a Lexus dealer install a remote starter using the original fob that does not rely on the Enform system. Or, has anyone spoken to a Lexus dealer about doing this.
Old 01-02-18, 09:58 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

What I am simply trying to determine is whether anyone has had a Lexus dealer install a remote starter using the original fob that does not rely on the Enform system. Or, has anyone spoken to a Lexus dealer about doing this.
We in Canada have remote starters installed by the dealer and we DONOT have enform, so it must work with the fob only.
I don't have the remote starter.
Old 01-02-18, 11:05 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

In Japan, Lexus has the following RX option:

The issue is whether it will work with a US model as the software for their diagnostic device needs to have the ability to program it into your Lexus' firmware. Plus, there is the question of whether they have even provided the proper wiring and other points of connection in your model. This is not even listed on the Lexus USA website and I doubt a dealer will go out of their way to find out any specifics of it for you.

Last edited by SoCalRX; 01-02-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 11:21 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cocal
We in Canada have remote starters installed by the dealer and we DONOT have enform, so it must work with the fob only.

That is for sure. Components need for that is already in the car. A kit(usually called T harness) is all that needed for the job.
It is DIY kit. Some times it shows up on eBay.
Old 01-02-18, 11:34 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cocal
Sure there is kit for that(called T harness). Some times it shows up on eBay too. A DIY kit. For me for the price dealer charges for the kit with poor range I installed after market with 2 way remotes, ~3000 ft. range and antenna. My biggest problem doing it myself was taking panels off around steering wheel column and under dash without scratching. For that I bought a kit from Amazon for like 15.00. Wiring is ~wires involving soldering and cutting wires. Then download matching firmware for the module(or seller will pre flash it too) Then step by step check and programming new fobs. Not a job to do in winter unless one has heated garage. I am turning 78 this year. I've been installing remote starter many times over the years. Always worked first time. For help the www.12volt.com is a good place to go. And iDATAlink or Fortin tech support.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!