RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 07:23 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
You need to be standing within about 50' of the vehicle. You're not missing much!
😁doesn't work for me standing next to the car😁
Old 01-20-18, 01:19 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess a bit of good news that starting with 2018 Lexus reduced pricing on full app for ‘17 and older cars with enform remote start to just 160 a year.

if you buy a 2018 model the app will be free forever.

corrected: What is free (for 10 years) is the Safety Connect and Service Connect portions of the app, but there will still be an annual subscription fee of $80 per year for the Remote Start portion of the app and an $80 per year subscription fee for the (live) Destination Assist portion of the app. Also, that only applies to 5 Lexus models for the 2018 model year. For all other Lexus models, there will still be an annual subscription fee for Safety Connect, Service Connect, Destination Assist and Remote Start,​​​​

http://www.lexus.com/enform/availability-pricing

Last edited by Rarebird; 01-20-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 04:05 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LFoster021
Also, the fact that the engine shuts off when you open the door is the dumbest thing ever!
Actually this is an anti-theft procedure, after all how difficult is it to push a button again?!
Old 01-20-18, 06:18 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarebird

if you buy a 2018 model the app will be free forever.
That is not correct. What is free (for 10 years) is the Safety Connect and Service Connect portions of the app, but there will still be an annual subscription fee of $80 per year for the Remote Start portion of the app and an $80 per year subscription fee for the (live) Destination Assist portion of the app. Also, that only applies to 5 Lexus models for the 2018 model year. For all other Lexus models, there will still be an annual subscription fee for Safety Connect, Service Connect, Destination Assist and Remote Start,
The following users liked this post:
Rarebird (01-20-18)
Old 01-20-18, 10:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cocal
Actually this is an anti-theft procedure, after all how difficult is it to push a button again?!
So true - can NEVER please everyone. My Azera continues running after you open the door and the members there complain about that.
Old 01-20-18, 11:51 AM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone who’s recently purchase a 2017 been able to get Lexus to offer safety connect for free like the 2018 models?
Old 01-20-18, 12:52 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raysmd
Has anyone who’s recently purchase a 2017 been able to get Lexus to offer safety connect for free like the 2018 models?
I can't say for sure, but I doubt that it would even be possible to get the free Safety Connect because I'm guessing that the auto renewal for the free 10 years of Safety Connect and Service Connect is programmed into the Lexus computers based on the vehicle's VIN number, and, without a 2018 VIN number, I doubt that it could be done.

Plus, the 2018 RX is not even one of the 5 2018 Lexus models that gets the free Safety Connect and Service Connect for 10 years. The Lexus models that it does apply to are the 2018 NX, LS, RC, RC F, and LC. I'm not sure how Lexus decided to include only those 5 models, but I wouldn't be surprised if more models are added to the list in future years.
Old 01-20-18, 04:45 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Having the car shut off when you open the door IS NOT A SAFETY FEATURE! it's just dumb! I every other car I've owned, Jeep, Chevy, Nissan, they all require you to have the key on your person before you can drive off. No one else can drive off with the car.
Old 01-20-18, 05:27 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
Having the car shut off when you open the door IS NOT A SAFETY FEATURE! it's just dumb! I every other car I've owned, Jeep, Chevy, Nissan, they all require you to have the key on your person before you can drive off. No one else can drive off with the car.
With Lexus vehicles, while you need to have the key fob with you to start the car, you don't need it to drive the car.

You can prove that very easily. Start the car. Then, hand the key fob to someone outside of the car. You will find that you can still drive off even without the fob. But, if you try that, make sure that you don't shut the engine down before you get back to the person that you gave the key fob to because, if you shut the engine down and don't have the fob with you, you won't get it started until you do have the fob. .

I'm not sure why Lexus has designed the cars to work this way, but that is the way they do work.
Old 01-20-18, 06:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
With Lexus vehicles, while you need to have the key fob with you to start the car, you don't need it to drive the car.

You can prove that very easily. Start the car. Then, hand the key fob to someone outside of the car. You will find that you can still drive off even without the fob. But, if you try that, make sure that you don't shut the engine down before you get back to the person that you gave the key fob to because, if you shut the engine down and don't have the fob with you, you won't get it started until you do have the fob. .

I'm not sure why Lexus has designed the cars to work this way, but that is the way they do work.
Same with Hyundai. No fob needed to drive off.
Old 01-21-18, 07:40 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Make sure YOU KNOW the facts before commenting. Just because others do not have this feature doesn't make it wrong As I said how hard is it to re-press a button?!
Old 01-21-18, 03:28 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

The facts are that Lexus, IF they designed the car to not shut off when the door is opened after a remote they would also not allow the car to be drive off without the key. The fact that it can be driven off now is not the way the other cars are designed and in FACT is the way the Lexus should be designed. I do know the facts of the existing design! The existing design is pretty archaic, inconvenient and not user friendly for remote starting. There is really no need for the car to shut off after a remote start just because the door is opened. It's does not have to be that way and the car can be safely programmed to do otherwise as are most other brands of cars. AsI said, the Lexus design concept is is JUST DUMB!
Old 01-21-18, 05:34 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Other new cars shut off engine when door is open. So after getting into car, starting it again is such a pain?
Old 01-21-18, 05:54 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Htony
Other new cars shut off engine when door is open. So after getting into car, starting it again is such a pain?
Could just be a security feature. The one GM car I had with remote start required the key to drive off (no push button start) bu it did leave the engine running after you unlocked the door. My Azera on the other hand will let you drive away without the fob IF you can open the door which of course requires the fob unless youre a thief.
Old 01-22-18, 05:55 AM
jwrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote engine start

remot engine start

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!