RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 06:34 PM
pschiffe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04

There is definitely an ADS iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass module. They can be found on EBay for around $50. The ADS AL-CA would need to be flashed with the ADS-AL(RS)-TL7 firmware for this application. Any 12Volt install shop that is an iDatalink dealer has the necessary equipment to perform the firmware flash. Here is a link to the install guide for the install :

"http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RS-TL7/ADS-AL(RS)-TL7-[ADS-ALCA]-EN_20180215.pdf" * might have to cut and paste this whole link

The Type 2 diagram is correct for the 2016 and 2017 RX350. This would allow a remote engine start up using the Factory FOB and three Lock commands in a row.
Thank you again for the clarification FlopTop04. Although the image you posted definitely shows AL-CA the caption on the home page of the pdf link reads Hardware: ADS-ALCA, so apparently you are both correct!
Old 03-23-18, 07:11 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

First thing, in order to decide how much range one needs from a remote fob? And are you going to be happy with one way remote or two way? Do you need a range of more than say, 100 feet?
Again three things to decide B4 jumping the gun. 1. Range( any where from less than 100 feet to 1 mile) 2. Type of communication between fob and car(2 way or 1 way fob) 2 way fob will ackowledge
signal from car, engine is started by flashing a LED or beep. 1 way doesn't have confirmation signal from car so don't know car is really started or not. IMO, iDatak link HC series with two 2 way remote
is a best value. I installed one myself when I had 2015 RX-450h. Worked very well. Just dozen or so wires needed to deal with. It comes with it's own antenna(RF kit), 3000 feet range.
Old 03-29-18, 08:55 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Can Tech Stream or Carista turn on remote start?

In the "open window with key fob" thread a poster using tech stream found a setting on his NX with "remote start" turned off. The question is when his enform subscription runs out will he be able to turn the remote start function back on.? Does anyone with a 2017 RX and tech stream see this option?
Old 03-30-18, 09:11 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
In the "open window with key fob" thread a poster using tech stream found a setting on his NX with "remote start" turned off. The question is when his enform subscription runs out will he be able to turn the remote start function back on.? Does anyone with a 2017 RX and tech stream see this option?
I will put money on it, that it won't.
Old 03-30-18, 09:32 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

IMO, that is rather status not an option to turn on or off remote start using fob alone. I believe there is a harness kit to enable remote start using fob only. The poster could try to set it on/off if that is an option..

Last edited by Htony; 03-30-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 11:41 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Mike728
I will put money on it, that it won't.
And so.......The money goes to Mike on this one folks!

Wife's subscription ran out. No dice -which blows!

*Know its a whole different animal, but needed some serious directions the other day while driving. Used the SOS Feature as we had in the past for in transit help. It stated right away that our subscription had ended and required reactivation. Thank goodness we all carry WAZE in our pockets right!
Old 03-30-18, 12:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
And so.......The money goes to Mike on this one folks!

Wife's subscription ran out. No dice -which blows!

*Know its a whole different animal, but needed some serious directions the other day while driving. Used the SOS Feature as we had in the past for in transit help. It stated right away that our subscription had ended and required reactivation. Thank goodness we all carry WAZE in our pockets right!
Up here in Canuck land Emform is not available. When I had RX I just installed iData link HC2 with 2 way remote fob and antenna for good usable range, My fear was scratching dash panels when I had to remove some, for that I bought a tool kit made for the purpose. More or less dozen wires to deal with.
Old 03-31-18, 10:57 AM
pschiffe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Up here in Canuck land Emform is not available. When I had RX I just installed iData link HC2 with 2 way remote fob and antenna for good usable range, My fear was scratching dash panels when I had to remove some, for that I bought a tool kit made for the purpose. More or less dozen wires to deal with.
I had the idataLINK ADS-ALCA module professionally installed earlier today in my 2017 RX350 as suggested by FlopTop04. This is also the same day that my 1-yr Lexus Enform subscription expires, but no loss! Seems to work fine, starts with 3 clicks of the lock button on my OEM key fob. Price was $330.00 + tax installed and took about two hours, another local shop quoted me $349.99 + tax installed. I had also contacted the Lexus Customer Assistance Center in Plano, TX with my protestations of Lexus Enform, they offered me 3 additional free months as a good will gesture; which I respectfully declined.

Last edited by pschiffe; 03-31-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 03:57 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by pschiffe
I had the idataLINK ADS-ALCA module professionally installed earlier today in my 2017 RX350 as suggested by FlopTop04. This is also the same day that my 1-yr Lexus Enform subscription expires, but no loss! Seems to work fine, starts with 3 clicks of the lock button on my OEM key fob. Price was $330.00 + tax installed and took about two hours, another local shop quoted me $349.99 + tax installed. I had also contacted the Lexus Customer Assistance Center in Plano, TX with my protestations of Lexus Enform, they offered me 3 additional free months as a good will gesture; which I respectfully declined.
you paid 330 for the ability to use the oe remote ??
how much was a 2 way remote setup, if you looked into it.

the range is terrible on the oe remote, and 2 way is the way to fly for the feedback.
one thing no one can argue is the disabled remote start is crap, after the free year.
Old 04-01-18, 10:35 AM
pschiffe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
you paid 330 for the ability to use the oe remote ??
how much was a 2 way remote setup, if you looked into it.

the range is terrible on the oe remote, and 2 way is the way to fly for the feedback.
one thing no one can argue is the disabled remote start is crap, after the free year.
No, I did not price the other; although the range is indeed limited. I have an attached garage thus the ADS-ALCA is perfectly satisfactory for my application. Removed
the cumbersome Lexus Enform app from my phone. Had I been fully aware of this in perpetuity monthly charge in advance, I may well have not purchased this RX although this is now my third!
Old 04-03-18, 08:48 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevemcb
The car must be locked because it will lock when you start the process.

You do need to hear the beeps and see the lights flash each press. I am not aware of any time needed to unlock the car. I went outside just now and repeatedly locked and unlocked it multiple times without any period of waiting in between .

You press the lock 3 times. Press them nice and even and on the 3rd press hold it for about 15-20 seconds and you should see the rear lights come back on and the car will start.

You do need to be as close to the car as you normally would be to unlock it.

I personally call Lexus yesterday and they verified you do not have to have a Enform subscription for the remote to work . That is only needed if you want to use your phone to unlock and start the car from a long distance away .

The only thing I have noticed is you must press the the lock button nice and even three times and then hold it on the third press for quite a while . I hope this will help to resolve your issues because this is a nice feature of the car . The only bad feature is as soon as you unlock the car the car will shut off so there really isn't much of a time for it to cool down or warm up.
There are many posts contradicting this. Many posters are saying that the remote start function with the key fob no longer works when the complimentary enform subscription expires.
Old 04-03-18, 10:44 AM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

are there install instructions available? I'd like to tackle this myself. Which unit should I buy for the 2017 RX?

Thanks

Old 04-03-18, 04:32 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Personally, I would look for a iDataStart HC2352AC. That unit is a one piece system with two 2-Way 3,000' remotes.
Find a seller that will flash the module with the correct firmware, ADS-RSA-TL7, prior to shipment. If you go with
an iDataStart system, I can PM / Email you an install guide that has all the wire colors, locations and photos of the
connectors.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 04-03-18 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JSracer (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18, 07:50 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

IMO, that is rather status not an option to turn on or off remote start using fob alone. I believe there is a harness kit to enable remote start using fob only. The poster could try to set it on/off if that is an option..
The item did have On or Off selections just like all the other customizeable features. Just wish someone with Techstream or Carista would try it.
Old 04-04-18, 09:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

The item did have On or Off selections just like all the other customizeable features. Just wish someone with Techstream or Carista would try it.
It was tried and failed, as expected.
The following users liked this post:
Marqevans (04-04-18)

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!