RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-21, 03:40 PM
Phil2020
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Has anyone else been able to turn on remote start on a U.S. delivered 2017 RX 350 with no subscriptions?
i have a 2017 RX 350 F Sports US model. Even after I toggled it to ON. I can’t remote start with the key fob. It works fine with the subscription

Old 04-14-21, 01:04 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil2020
Im sure Badhobz didn’t see the option because he didn’t start the vehicle. The vehicle must be running to see that option.

even after turning “ON” that option, I still CAN’T start the engine with the key fob. The remote start with the key fob works fine with the subscription. As soon as I canceled the subscription, it stopped working.
nope, I had my car on when I did it and still doesn't have the option. Its probably because the Canadian RX's didn't have enform until like 2020
Old 04-27-21, 08:42 AM
Iko
9th Gear

I tried the carista (beta) to enable remote start and it didn’t work. Remote start was working before but lexus disabled it without Enform substance 😔.
Old 04-27-21, 08:47 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Iko
I tried the carista (beta) to enable remote start and it didn’t work. Remote start was working before but lexus disabled it without Enform substance 😔.
With the right settings combination of those mentioned above, let me add that if you can run the ECM handshake process successfully, this will re-enable the remote starter (via fob), without enform subscription.
Old 04-27-21, 12:01 PM
Iko
9th Gear

Originally Posted by s3v3n
With the right settings combination of those mentioned above, let me add that if you can run the ECM handshake process successfully, this will re-enable the remote starter (via fob), without enform subscription.
What does "if you can run the ECM handshake process successfully" mean? Do I need to do something in carista? thanks.
Old 11-10-22, 06:33 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I can confirm to you that after the Enform subscription ends, that the remote start via key fob still works. I can remote start via key fob on my 2019 ES350 as well as my 2019 RX450hL -- both of which no longer have active subscriptions. I confirm this every morning, so it's not a fluke.
If you read up on any of the other comments, you would know that if you have a 2018 or newer Lexus, you get safety connect for 10 years. Which means your remote start will work for that period of time. People like me that have 2016’s don’t have that luxury no more. We can’t even pay for it with a subscription because 3G services were shut down. Do your research
Old 11-12-22, 09:35 AM
Iko
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Damon323
If you read up on any of the other comments, you would know that if you have a 2018 or newer Lexus, you get safety connect for 10 years. Which means your remote start will work for that period of time. People like me that have 2016’s don’t have that luxury no more. We can’t even pay for it with a subscription because 3G services were shut down. Do your research

i have 2018 rx350L and when my subscription ended, the remote start using the remote also stopped working. So I renewed it just to confirm and when my subscription resumed, remote started working again.
Old 11-12-22, 11:05 AM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cybertruck
Please let me know minimal config required to remote start using mobile and track lock/unlock status of car
Toyota/Lexus had the dealer option or you could just buy a OEM remote starter for models up to 2014. Then in 2015, the subscription crap started. So models 2015-2017 got ill equipped 3G antennas installed and you had to subscribe to their services to even remote start via the 3 presses of your remote key fob. Yes, you read that correctly…to even utilize the remote starter built in to the vehicle that you purchased, you still have to pay Toyota to use it. I understand paying each month to start your car with the smartphone app. Cause that costs money to maintain. But to not be able to use your key fob is ridiculous, and extortion. It’s the same equivalent of, for example, having to pay a subscription to use your heated seats, or using your windshield wipers.
Now, for 2018 models, I think it’s the same situation. I may need to correct my previous post. I think they only got 3 years of safety connect as well. They may be in the same boat too. I know that it depends on the options you have as well. If you have the premium audio, you get safety connect for 3 years. You have the base model, you get one year.
It may be 2019 model and up that get the safety connect for 10 years, which allows then to remote start with the key fob.
Bottom line, I understand why this subject is so misconstrued. That’s because it’s a complete mess, and intended to be. Most people don’t even know they can, or could remote start their vehicle via key fob. They also are pissed that the 2015-2017 models mentioned were equipped with the obsolete 3G, when 4G LTE has been available for a half a decade prior.

The following users liked this post:
TTBomB (11-12-22)
Old 11-12-22, 12:25 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Carista beta not showing the option under other to enable the remote start...
17 rx450...
Next trying the Toyota nano techstream device I have.

Old 11-16-22, 07:12 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Update** found the setting, toggled it, green arrow, exited out... Doesn't seem to have done anything, I'll have to recheck **

hmm, seem to be stuck finding select customize function in techstream
"Then I was messing around with a 2017 Lexus RX and I was able to turn on the remote start it was under other..."
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11027377

mine is more similar with the yellow and the error, not seeing "other" listed there...
feel like i'm missing something

Last edited by JSracer; 11-16-22 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-16-22, 01:11 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
Update** found the setting, toggled it, green arrow, exited out... Doesn't seem to have done anything, I'll have to recheck **

hmm, seem to be stuck finding select customize function in techstream
"Then I was messing around with a 2017 Lexus RX and I was able to turn on the remote start it was under other..."
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11027377

mine is more similar with the yellow and the error, not seeing "other" listed there...
feel like i'm missing something
Keep digging man! Dude, I’ll pay whoever figures this out. Lol! I got a 2016 RX and I want my OEM starter.
There are some that say TechStream lite and dealer level can do different things. And having a real connector like the Mongoose as opposed to the cheapo Amazon/EBay specials makes a difference.

I can confirm that if you kept Enform till the very end of October when they shut down the 3G service, you are all set for remote start via key fob. My wife’s 2015 is good to go.
This was my plan, but my credit card on file expired and I didn’t know it. No email from Lexus saying I wasn’t being auto billed anymore. Didn’t figure it out till it got cold in October and tried to remote start. They wouldn’t let me renew through the app. I had the theory that since remote start via key fob was a software switch via 3G, that that switch would remain on when 3G was shut down. My theory was correct. Glad my wife got it. It’s killing me that I didn’t.

JSracer (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 01:15 PM
JSracer
Instructor

I can assure you, I had a subscription until under 30 days and was unable to renew, my fob was shut off for remote start.. I was clipped early October, on a trip to the mountains. I called and was told it was turned off because they couldn't get me the 30 days for a renewal.. I asked if they could turn it on till it quits, they said no..
My cable is not a cheap ebay special.. It's a VXDIAG VCX Nano wifi.. Not quite the mongoose, but should work, and has reported success...
I'll probably go the prime r3 drone or similar, with the lowest subscription, and add gps if needed on demand.. It's like $6 per month, so less than the 160 I was paying per year...
The drone application is lightning fast, compared to the Lexus mess..

I'll keep trying, but guessing it won't get anywhere..
I have several versions of techstream, 14, 15, 16, 17 but guessing for my 17, they will work the same..(born 11/17)

The phone app would be a benefit, but I only use the car a bit over the winter, then like 4k miles in April, and September, plus a few thousand over other months for trips

Last edited by JSracer; 11-16-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 01:33 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Once the sunset was less than a month, away subscriptions were canceled, or so I was told...
That's why I was not able to renew
Old 11-16-22, 01:55 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
Once the sunset was less than a month, away subscriptions were canceled, or so I was told...
That's why I was not able to renew
My wife slid through the cracks then. She had it till the very end. And still had remote start. I’m insanely jealous. I was contemplating an aftermarket remote starter, but I just don’t trust them. Plus I’m obsessed on getting this figured out. Lol!
JSracer (11-16-22)
Old 12-30-22, 12:29 PM
thelew67
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Remote Start

I tried to start my 2017 RX350 with my remote using the 3 press on the lock button , but it didn't work. I'm only trying this because of my Lexus Enform app. Am I missing a step or is it something else?

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!