RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 05:59 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dleindec
Probably a real, actual dumb question, but...... is remote start an option on the 2017 rx or does it come standard? thanks.....
When I order my 450h, there was no option for remote start. I guess it came with the car. I can start the car with two lock press and hold lock on the third. But this Lexus remote start is so stupid because as soon as you open the door, the engine shuts off. With other car, like Honda jeep, ford the engine stays on.
The following users liked this post:
curtind1 (04-17-20)
Old 10-12-16, 07:27 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
When I order my 450h, there was no option for remote start. I guess it came with the car. I can start the car with two lock press and hold lock on the third. But this Lexus remote start is so stupid because as soon as you open the door, the engine shuts off. With other car, like Honda jeep, ford the engine stays on.
This smart feature is designed to prevent a stranger from entering your car after it starts and driving off.
Old 10-12-16, 08:25 AM
s2000zr
Driver

Originally Posted by sderman
This smart feature is designed to prevent a stranger from entering your car after it starts and driving off.
How can a stranger enter my car when the car require me to lock it before starting? Beside breaking it. Not so smart!
Old 10-12-16, 08:54 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Simple, like my 2012 Maxima and most other non-Toyota cars, just require the key to be present when the car is shifted out of park, otherwise the engine shuts off.
Old 10-12-16, 12:08 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4RX is the base FWD model with the Luxury upgrade. I tried this and it's a no-go. So do I need to have the Enform folks activate mine for remote start and will this cost me extra?
Old 10-12-16, 12:10 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Originally Posted by Radio88
My 4RX is the base FWD model with the Luxury upgrade. I tried this and it's a no-go. So do I need to have the Enform folks activate mine for remote start and will this cost me extra?
I think you need Enform for remote to work. It's free for the first year.
Old 10-12-16, 12:11 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

How can a stranger enter my car when the car require me to lock it before starting? Beside breaking it. Not so smart!
Yeah plus they could've had a little sensor in the Lexus that can sense when the fob is within a few feet of it thereby leaving it running for the fob carrier.
Old 10-12-16, 12:12 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

I think you need Enform for remote to work. It's free for the first year.
I think I have Enform-I better contact them about this.
Old 10-12-16, 04:02 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You should not need inform for the Fob to start the car. There seems to be a issue with some users getting their remote start with the Fob. It does not appear to be a option so it should work for everyone. Does anyone have any ideas on why some of the cars appear not to work and others do . Mine worked immediately . This is a great option to have and is very handy in Florida where you can start the car up ahead of time and have it cool down before you get there . I use it quite frequently and also had the same option on my Lincoln MKZ.

Last edited by stevemcb; 10-12-16 at 07:08 PM.
curtind1 (04-17-20)
Old 10-12-16, 05:15 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

I tried the two-pushes then hold the third, tried three then hold the fourth. No joy. I intend to get my first service likely next week and along with the customize requests I will add in this.
Old 10-12-16, 07:12 PM
stevemcb
Driver

You must push all 3 pushes without a long time in between . On the 3rd push you need to hold it in for at least 10-20 seconds. The lights will flash and then about 10 seconds later the car will start. Hope this helps some of the nonstarts to start !!
curtind1 (04-17-20)
Old 11-01-16, 03:15 PM
stevemcb
Driver

I just got off the phone with Lexus . They said You do not need the Enform subscription for the key fob to work . It is a part of the car options for at least 2016. I do not know about other previous years . It certainly is puzzling why some of the owners cannot get their remotes to function on the 2016's .
curtind1 (04-17-20)
Old 11-02-16, 05:54 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 421 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Key FOB Remote Start Frustration

I could use some help with the FOB remote. It's VERY frustrating. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I just played with it for 30 minutes and can find no rhyme or reason as to when it works and when not. So it boils down these questions:

1. Must the car be locked to begin with and if so, how long after locking will it allow itself to be remotely started?
2. Exactly how many times must the remote be pressed...and for how long for each press...and how does or does not this coordinate with the "beeps".
3. Is there some sort of "refractory" period where it won't FOB start after being driven or after being locked?
4. I did all this right next to the car to be sure the signals are received. But perhaps battery strength is an issue for a longer distance?
5. Is it me or does anyone else have frustration with this?
6. Can anyone definitively answer the question, which has had contradictory replies so far: "Will the FOB remote work WITHOUT the expensive ENFORM subscription?
Old 11-02-16, 08:28 AM
stevemcb
Driver

The car must be locked because it will lock when you start the process.

You do need to hear the beeps and see the lights flash each press. I am not aware of any time needed to unlock the car. I went outside just now and repeatedly locked and unlocked it multiple times without any period of waiting in between .

You press the lock 3 times. Press them nice and even and on the 3rd press hold it for about 15-20 seconds and you should see the rear lights come back on and the car will start.

You do need to be as close to the car as you normally would be to unlock it.

I personally call Lexus yesterday and they verified you do not have to have a Enform subscription for the remote to work . That is only needed if you want to use your phone to unlock and start the car from a long distance away .

The only thing I have noticed is you must press the the lock button nice and even three times and then hold it on the third press for quite a while . I hope this will help to resolve your issues because this is a nice feature of the car . The only bad feature is as soon as you unlock the car the car will shut off so there really isn't much of a time for it to cool down or warm up.
curtind1 (04-17-20)
Old 11-03-16, 02:43 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 409 Posts

This does not work in Canada since we do not get Enform.

We have to buy the optional Lexus accessory remote starter which is expensive plus it gives you an additional remote to carry along with your regular fob.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!