RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 10:22 AM
deesauto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
If you don't mind POOR range of OEM fob. You just install thing called T harness. iDATA link has a module by the name of HC for just that. It's also called lock, lock, lock start. OEM fob has not even 10 meter range. I'll be installing HC2 which comes with one 2way remote and one 1way remote. Have to flash compatible firmware and antenna before installing it. Does not require many wiring connections. My vehicle is RX450h. Rortin has EVO modules which does same thing as HC.

Htony: Does it need Lexus Enform or other subscription after the installation?
Old 12-16-16, 10:21 AM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile So Happy to find this Thread!

Hi, I just joined this group after finding this Forum in a Google search for a remote starter for a 2016 Lexus RX 350. As soon as i found this, I ran over to my front door with the keyfob and tried it out. My door is only about 25 feet from my car, but it works fine. We still have a few months left on our 1 year free Enform subscription to confirm it still will work, but I feel it should (I hope) after the subscription is up for renewal. The price sheet the dealer gave me last week when we had the car in for service and asked about it is $250 a year for the plan that includes the remote start. I personally don't need to be able to start or unlock or check the vehicle's status from another part of the world, so I am so please it works from the keyfob. Door was already locked when I pressed the fob's lock button 3 times. second press was about a second after the first press, and the 3rd press I held down for about 5 or so seconds ( I did not really time it accurately. When i released the button after the 3rd press, the lights flashed several times and the engine started up. After I let it run for a few minutes, I repeated the same process and the engine shut off. The vehicle stayed locked the entire time; I did not go outside to see if the door unlocking from touching the handle would shut the engine off, but i will try it out another time, and update my findings. Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread, especially the OP! Bob
The following users liked this post:
curtind1 (04-17-20)
Old 12-16-16, 10:53 AM
deesauto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobL27
Hi, I just joined this group after finding this Forum in a Google search for a remote starter for a 2016 Lexus RX 350. As soon as i found this, I ran over to my front door with the keyfob and tried it out. My door is only about 25 feet from my car, but it works fine. We still have a few months left on our 1 year free Enform subscription to confirm it still will work, but I feel it should (I hope) after the subscription is up for renewal. The price sheet the dealer gave me last week when we had the car in for service and asked about it is $250 a year for the plan that includes the remote start. I personally don't need to be able to start or unlock or check the vehicle's status from another part of the world, so I am so please it works from the keyfob. Door was already locked when I pressed the fob's lock button 3 times. second press was about a second after the first press, and the 3rd press I held down for about 5 or so seconds ( I did not really time it accurately. When i released the button after the 3rd press, the lights flashed several times and the engine started up. After I let it run for a few minutes, I repeated the same process and the engine shut off. The vehicle stayed locked the entire time; I did not go outside to see if the door unlocking from touching the handle would shut the engine off, but i will try it out another time, and update my findings. Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread, especially the OP! Bob
My 2016 RX450h remotely starts fine with the fob. But as soon as the first free subscription ends, it doesn't any more.
Old 12-16-16, 11:05 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

If short range is not a problem, for 250.00 or little more you can have after market thingy doing the same thing. Usually they call it lock-lock-lock starter using the OEM fob. iDATAlink
HC, Fortin EVO-ONE module will do it nicely. If I were OP, I won't pay yearly subscription of 250.00. I live in Alberta, this morning it was -22C. I need to start across parking lot often.
I have 3000 feet range remote starter(HC2) installed myself. Only inconvenience is I have to carry another fob.
Old 12-16-16, 11:14 AM
deesauto
Driver School Candidate

Default Hc3

Originally Posted by Htony
If short range is not a problem, for 250.00 or little more you can have after market thingy doing the same thing. Usually they call it lock-lock-lock starter using the OEM fob. iDATAlink
HC, Fortin EVO-ONE module will do it nicely. If I were OP, I won't pay yearly subscription of 250.00. I live in Alberta, this morning it was -22C. I need to start across parking lot often.
I have 3000 feet range remote starter(HC2) installed myself. Only inconvenience is I have to carry another fob.
I do some more research and discover that the new HC3 is now available with extended range just one replacement fob you need to carry with.
Old 12-16-16, 11:42 AM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Time will tell

Originally Posted by deesauto
My 2016 RX450h remotely starts fine with the fob. But as soon as the first free subscription ends, it doesn't any more.

Thanks, There seems to be some controversy here on needing the paid subscription or not. I have 3 more months to find out!
Old 12-16-16, 12:44 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

There you can have 1 mile range one too... Using drone you can start the car by smart phone. The difference between HC2 and HC3 is difference in range and type of fob. 2 comes with LED 2way and plain 1 way fobs. 3 comes with two 2 way fancy fobs. It is a matter of selecting the right RF kit when flashing the firmware. HC2 cost me ~200.00.
Old 12-16-16, 03:22 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deesauto
Htony: Does it need Lexus Enform or other subscription after the installation?
Not at all. installing is flashing the module with firmware for the vehicle + plus RF kit(antenna) It works like OEM fob. Only reason I carry both fob is, the key just in case. I have installed many remote starters for different cars. In old days it was done by hardware with tangles of wires. Now it's done by software(firmware) with minimal wiring. RX needed 11 or 13 wires. Module is universal so need to flash firmware for the specific car you are installing it to. I just wired for door lock/unlock, remote start, power tail gate open/close. You can add alarm, other auxiliary functions if you want to. Install instruction comes with wiring diagram with wire color code too. For pros it is less than 2 hour job but it took me 3 hours, LOL!
Old 01-03-17, 08:18 PM
deribas
Driver School Candidate

I just both 2016 rx 350. I do not think its normal have the car for 50-60k without remote starter. why I have to pay about $200 a month to use smart phone. What about I don't have smart phone. For 50000 they can not add one bottom to the key ?
Old 01-03-17, 09:02 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deribas
I just both 2016 rx 350. I do not think its normal have the car for 50-60k without remote starter. why I have to pay about $200 a month to use smart phone. What about I don't have smart phone. For 50000 they can not add one bottom to the key ?
You are funny. Instead of pouting you should think about things like this B4 you purchase the vehicle. Yes, OEM remote starter is availble in two flavor. Yes you need the regular OEM smart key to remote start. One has very short range which is pretty useless it goes for like 400.00. The other one was said to have longer range which will cost ~1000.00 from the dealer. Then there is after market ones of several different choices. I installed iDATAlink HC2 module with 2 remote fobs(one is 2way, one is 1way as back up spare)You have to flash firmware to the module/antenna to the module, need to connect about dozen wires from module to the under dash cable harness, start push button, OBD II connector, brake pedal. Sounds very complicated but it is not. At the most 2 hour job.Cost around 350.00. You can have it done by a mobile 12V shop too. So you have 4 choices to pick. You should 've made the deal including the remote starter of your choice. If interested go to iDATAlink or Fortin web site, inform yourself about this things.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (01-04-17)
Old 01-03-17, 09:09 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Bimmer makes it VERY difficult to install emote starter also they don't have factory one. I was told it is strictly for safety concern. When I had X5 I missed remote starter.
Now it seems they cracked BMW ECU software so they are able to produce after market kits for limited models. No I am not expert. I'm just enough to be dangerous.
I am retired PE in electronics in different field.
Old 01-04-17, 05:26 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 409 Posts

I would not want remote start on my car. It is very inefficient plus creates high engine wear and tear. Not to mention the pollution.

Modern cars are not designed to idle. They warn up very fast when moving. The computer holds the optimum engine RPM to ensure quick and low wear and tear warm-up. Mine warms up within a minute from startup at cold Canadian morning starts.

Plus the car has an electric heater integrated in the heater system. During cold temperature startups the electric heater kicks in and warms up the cabin quickly.
Old 01-04-17, 07:05 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

In bitter cold -30C with windchill -40C, I need little help for warming up with remote starter. After I start it I'll be driving within 5 mins. If I don't engine will turn off in 15 mins. max. In summer remote starter cool the car too. Also I can program remote starter to start the engine in the middle of cold night and run the engine like 10 mins. Or I can have it start the engine when temperature is at xx degs. This way I don't need to plug in the block heater. In the arctic zone people never shut off the engineduring the day. IMO, remote starter is useful.

Last edited by Htony; 01-04-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 12:32 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

It is weird that you don't get remote start for 50-60k. But at that price range how do you not have a smart phone? =P
Old 01-04-17, 02:50 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
It is weird that you don't get remote start for 50-60k. But at that price range how do you not have a smart phone? =P
Exactly, but then again how if you a luxury brand not able to make it so the app works most of the time?

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!