RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 03:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
It is weird that you don't get remote start for 50-60k. But at that price range how do you not have a smart phone? =P
I've been driving all kinda vehicles, Bimmer, Audi, Lexus, Acura, Porsch, etc., etc. I only have dumb cell phone .
Old 01-04-17, 04:08 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deesauto
Htony: Does it need Lexus Enform or other subscription after the installation?
Not at all. All after market unit is free standing, works in parallel with factory stuff. I carry two remotes Lexus smart key, after market one..
The reason carrying Lexus one is for the emergency I may need the key. After market fob has just one more button, the start button. Either fob
will lock/unlock/open tail gate. If want to use smart phone you have a unit for that too. *********** for remote start which does not need subscription.
If you want to use smart key, there is one called KLON or lock-lock-lock module. This will start engine/stop engine when you push smart key lock button 3 times.
It does not have good range tho 'cos it uses factory circuit already on the car to accept their lower priced remote starter(basically a wiring harness like T-harness)
In Canada I think Enform is not even available. Any 12V mobile shop will install what you want/need if tell them what your need is. Good luck with your car, I maybe
switching back to Audi Q7 or SQ5.
Old 01-07-17, 04:05 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
It is weird that you don't get remote start for 50-60k. But at that price range how do you not have a smart phone? =P
there are people like myself who are simplifying and shunning smartphones
Old 01-07-17, 06:32 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirtiger
Of course, you bet
Old 01-08-17, 05:50 PM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really?

Originally Posted by sirtiger

I agree with you sirtiger, by the way, although I do have a smart phone.

The point is we (I) don't need to be attached to the world every waking moment of every day, and when you spend so much on a vehicle, you really should not have to spend over 250 bucks a year to be able to use a function that is already built into the vehicle, but not able to access it without a smart phone and paying that annual fee. Until my first year free subscription expires, I won't know if the 3 presses of the lock button on the key fob as previously discussed will continue to work. Buying and installing an aftermarket system is a way around it, but what about warranty issues if something goes wrong and the dealer says that the problem is/was caused by the aftermarket device. The cars written warranty makes note of adding electronic equipment and causing problems, If I remember correctly.
Old 01-08-17, 05:57 PM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Of course, you bet
You know, not every body enjoys walking into poles or in front of cars or texting while driving. Too many people these days seem unable to live or function without the umbilical cord to the world phone. Its become a very dangerous toy due to their use (abuse).

I've seen families of 4 people in a restaurant texting on their phones instead of talking to each other and enjoying the meal and the company they're with. It's funny to see, but is really sad when you think about it.
Old 01-08-17, 06:01 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 561 Likes on 399 Posts

It's entertaining to watch a group of teenagers sit around a take and "chat". Not a word can be heard.
Old 01-09-17, 03:13 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just picked up a 2016 RX and I did pay for Enform for the first year (Certified Pre-owned, not new). My key fob DOES start the car the same as my 2010 RX with factory starter did....2 presses then the third press is a hold.
Old 01-09-17, 04:22 AM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PLamarine
I just picked up a 2016 RX and I did pay for Enform for the first year (Certified Pre-owned, not new). My key fob DOES start the car the same as my 2010 RX with factory starter did....2 presses then the third press is a hold.
A little over 2 more months when my free Enform subscription expires, and I will find out if the remote start from key fob still works or not.
Old 01-09-17, 09:22 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BobL27
A little over 2 more months when my free Enform subscription expires, and I will find out if the remote start from key fob still works or not.
Based on what others have said it does not look promising.
Old 01-09-17, 09:31 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=BobL27;9730672]A little over 2 more months when my free Enform subscription expires, and I will find out if the remote start from key fob still works or not.[/QUOTE

After free trial period Enform based remote start won't work unless you subscribe to the plan. No remote start with fob either. I just finished installing a iDATAlink HC2 kit onto my '15 RX450h. Most time spent removing dashing panels. Actual wiring and flashing firmware for module and antennas took ~1 hour. Now I can use After market remote with 3000 feet range or use smart key to start, lock.unlock, open/close tail gate. Hit lock button 3 times on smart key will also start engine Hitting lock button 3 times will stop the engine. HC2 Kit(module plus 2 remote fobs) goes for ~200.00. If you are unable to do it yourself, let pros do it for you. Just specify HC2 which is proven many .
Old 01-09-17, 02:00 PM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Htony;9731040]
Originally Posted by BobL27
A little over 2 more months when my free Enform subscription expires, and I will find out if the remote start from key fob still works or not.[/QUOTE

After free trial period Enform based remote start won't work unless you subscribe to the plan. No remote start with fob either. I just finished installing a iDATAlink HC2 kit onto my '15 RX450h. Most time spent removing dashing panels. Actual wiring and flashing firmware for module and antennas took ~1 hour. Now I can use After market remote with 3000 feet range or use smart key to start, lock.unlock, open/close tail gate. Hit lock button 3 times on smart key will also start engine Hitting lock button 3 times will stop the engine. HC2 Kit(module plus 2 remote fobs) goes for ~200.00. If you are unable to do it yourself, let pros do it for you. Just specify HC2 which is proven many .
OK, but what will Lexus do with your warranty if that aftermarket remote start causes something else to malfunction? Will they honor it? I find that scary, and although the remote starter is pretty neat, over the years with about 6 cars or more that I had with either factory remote start, like my RAM 1500 came with, and other vehicles that I did have alarms with remote starters installed into, I think I have maybe used that feature less than 10 times over 15 or so years. I like the remote start, and like having it, but I can live without it. What aggravates me is when a car mfr. requires you to pay a yearly fee to use it. And, its not a cheap fee. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-09-17, 02:15 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=BobL27;9731498]
Originally Posted by Htony
OK, but what will Lexus do with your warranty if that aftermarket remote start causes something else to malfunction? Will they honor it? I find that scary, and although the remote starter is pretty neat, over the years with about 6 cars or more that I had with either factory remote start, like my RAM 1500 came with, and other vehicles that I did have alarms with remote starters installed into, I think I have maybe used that feature less than 10 times over 15 or so years. I like the remote start, and like having it, but I can live without it. What aggravates me is when a car mfr. requires you to pay a yearly fee to use it. And, its not a cheap fee. Just my 2 cents
Ever heard about Magnusson Moss law? You can install 3rd party equipment on your car. If causes any problem then it can affect warranty. This products are tested before being sold. Your dealer cn't pick on it becuae it is installed and working fine. I've been installing using after market remote start, stereo, cruise control, etc. in
years. Never ran into problem. Some new cars come with remot starter like new Acura MDX. It is you who should decide on every thing. Not any one else.
Old 01-09-17, 02:19 PM
BobL27
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
Old 01-09-17, 07:04 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I would not want remote start on my car. It is very inefficient plus creates high engine wear and tear. Not to mention the pollution.

Modern cars are not designed to idle. They warn up very fast when moving. The computer holds the optimum engine RPM to ensure quick and low wear and tear warm-up. Mine warms up within a minute from startup at cold Canadian morning starts.

Plus the car has an electric heater integrated in the heater system. During cold temperature startups the electric heater kicks in and warms up the cabin quickly.
Remote start creates high engine wear and tear?? Modern cars are not designed to idle??? Did you actually read this from a reputable source or are you making it up?

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!