RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Side Door courtesy shadow ghost LED upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18 | 07:48 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by yardbird88
Here are some touch-ups for my RX450h. More to come.
Did you also replace the door courtesy lights with LEDs? If so, which bulbs did you use?
Old 03-11-18 | 12:19 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Originally Posted by javapro
Did you also replace the door courtesy lights with LEDs? If so, which bulbs did you use?
My door courtesy lights in the RX450h are already LEDs.
Old 03-11-18 | 03:19 PM
javapro
Driver

My door courtesy lights in the RX450h are already LEDs.
Is yours F-Sport or does it have a luxury package? Mine is a regular 450h with a premium package and my courtesy door lights are not LED.
Old 03-11-18 | 06:09 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Is yours F-Sport or does it have a luxury package? Mine is a regular 450h with a premium package and my courtesy door lights are not LED.
Mine is F-sport r450h and I did change the door to those ghost led light.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...u=c32jhlb3ae77
Old 03-11-18 | 07:06 PM
javapro
Driver

Mine is F-sport r450h and I did change the door to those ghost led light.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...u=c32jhlb3ae77
Yes, I am looking to get those ghost LEDs as well but concerned about the aftermarket fit - people are reporting that some of them don't fit well and rattle. It's weird that the door courtesy light bulb part number listed on mylparts.com is the same for the base and F-Sport. Base definitely has an incandescent bulb.
Old 03-11-18 | 10:21 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Yes, I am looking to get those ghost LEDs as well but concerned about the aftermarket fit - people are reporting that some of them don't fit well and rattle. It's weird that the door courtesy light bulb part number listed on mylparts.com is the same for the base and F-Sport. Base definitely has an incandescent bulb.
I changed it because I don't like the OEM's yellowish light. The ghost LED fits well and it had been almost a year since I have it. It is a direct fit and takes only a few minutes to change it.
Old 03-12-18 | 07:43 AM
javapro
Driver

I changed it because I don't like the OEM's yellowish light. The ghost LED fits well and it had been almost a year since I have it. It is a direct fit and takes only a few minutes to change it.
Wait, are you saying that the OEM F-Sport door courtesy LED lights are yellowish? Does the image projected by those ghost lights that you got from Taoboa.com have a circle around the Lexus logo or is it just like in the picture you attached? I see on the website lots of different variation of the projected image but since I don't know Chinese I can't figure anything out. How does one order from Taoboa.com without knowing Chinese?
Old 03-12-18 | 07:57 AM
javapro
Driver

Can anyone recommend good side door courtesy shadow ghost LEDs for 2018 Rx 450h? The ones that fit well and don't rattle, have no circle around the projected Lexus logo, don't start flickering or have any fading or distortion appearing in the projected image after a couple months of use, etc. Also, is it worth replacing the rear door ones since the lights are at an angle and the projection gets distorted?
Old 03-12-18 | 08:09 AM
javapro
Driver

Alternatively, does anyone know if the door courtesy lights have replaceable bulbs? From the part diagram it looks like they are . Does anyone know which LED bulbs to get to replace the OEM yellowish incandescent ones?
Old 03-12-18 | 08:24 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Can anyone recommend good side door courtesy shadow ghost LEDs for 2018 Rx 450h? The ones that fit well and don't rattle, have no circle around the projected Lexus logo, don't start flickering or have any fading or distortion appearing in the projected image after a couple months of use, etc. Also, is it worth replacing the rear door ones since the lights are at an angle and the projection gets distorted?
Most of these lights are made in China and a crapshoot regarding quality control even if you were to purchase from the same vendor. I've ordered lights directly from China vendors that are simply reboxed, rebranded, or just thrown into a padded envelope and sold for more money from vendors in the States.
Old 03-12-18 | 08:30 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

You might look for the actual name of the technology. These lights use diffractive optical elements, a piece of glass lens micro etched with many layers of complex patterns that combine many phases of light to produce the logo. This was also used in the first Microsoft Kinect and currently Apple iPhone X to create the pattern of dots for 3D scanning. In mass production, this glass is fairly inexpensive.
Old 03-12-18 | 10:18 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Wait, are you saying that the OEM F-Sport door courtesy LED lights are yellowish? Does the image projected by those ghost lights that you got from Taoboa.com have a circle around the Lexus logo or is it just like in the picture you attached? I see on the website lots of different variation of the projected image but since I don't know Chinese I can't figure anything out. How does one order from Taoboa.com without knowing Chinese?
The OEM light is about 3000k while the ghost LED I got is 6000k so they are a lot brighter. The image is the same shown on the web site's picture. All of these ghost leds are made in China. I don't see any aftermarket stuff made here anymore. I mean they are like $5 us each for the whole light housing, about the same cost of a good light bulb here. TAOBAO is a Chinese web site only so you may have to look at ebay or Aliexpress for English web sites if you can't read Chinese.

Last edited by yardbird88; 02-07-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-13-18 | 07:37 AM
javapro
Driver

Is it the same lights that you posted the link for on that Chinese website for both front and rear doors? Do the ones in the rear work well? No image distortion since they are at an angle?
Old 03-13-18 | 07:24 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Is it the same lights that you posted the link for on that Chinese website for both front and rear doors? Do the ones in the rear work well? No image distortion since they are at an angle?
Yes, it's the same LED front & rear in that website and the price is for each unit. The rear has to distort a bit because of the angle.
Old 03-14-18 | 05:00 AM
javapro
Driver

Yes, it's the same LED front & rear in that website and the price is for each unit. The rear has to distort a bit because of the angle.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Side Door courtesy shadow ghost LED upgrade