RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX Actual 0-60 Times

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16 | 03:51 PM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by noeldavid
Alex on Autos is one of the best auto reviewers on You tube and he states at the minute 15 of his 2016 Lexus rx 350 review that it goes from 0 - 60 in 6.5 seconds.

https://youtu.be/MAF-nRd7rOg?t=900
At around 11 minutes he mentions the MDX is 6.1 seconds in the video below.

6.1 vs 6.5 seems much more reasonable.
Old 01-25-16 | 04:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I still dont get how the RX is so slow compared to the bigger mdx
Old 02-01-16 | 11:04 AM
NickL
Racer

So what's the verdict here? What's the 0-60MPH of the 2016 RX?

We are seriously considering at the RX350 but it sounds really slow comparing to the MDX 5.9-6.1 figure.
Old 02-01-16 | 12:57 PM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by NickL

We are seriously considering at the RX350 but it sounds really slow comparing to the MDX 5.9-6.1 figure.
Yea some video "proof" would be nice to compare the two vehicles. The consensus seems to be that the mdx is about 6 seconds but the rx is quoted from 6.5 to nearly 8 seconds without actually seeing how they got those figures.
Old 02-01-16 | 01:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Although the MDX is faster and is a better value proposition then the RX, I would only lease the MDX. The third generation is becoming similar to the 1st generation. Poor infotainment, misaligned panels, poor transmission, quality control is becoming questionable on the fabled MDX.
Old 02-01-16 | 02:33 PM
NickL
Racer

Before my current 2011 GS350. I had a 2003 Acura TL-S. It is disappointing that Acura hasn't got their act together on improvement their quality. The transmission on the TL-S was ultimately the reason why I traded in for a GS350.

There are a few things I didn't like when I was looking at the '16 RX350 at the dealer. I didn't go for a test drive because I didn't feel like I'm ready to say this is the SUV we're going to seriously consider. I looked at the MDX and said wow, it's a nice SUV. But when I went to the Acura forum that I used to go to, I read a lot of the same old build quality when I had an Acura 12 years ago.
Old 02-01-16 | 10:52 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Before my current 2011 GS350. I had a 2003 Acura TL-S. It is disappointing that Acura hasn't got their act together on improvement their quality. The transmission on the TL-S was ultimately the reason why I traded in for a GS350.

There are a few things I didn't like when I was looking at the '16 RX350 at the dealer. I didn't go for a test drive because I didn't feel like I'm ready to say this is the SUV we're going to seriously consider. I looked at the MDX and said wow, it's a nice SUV. But when I went to the Acura forum that I used to go to, I read a lot of the same old build quality when I had an Acura 12 years ago.
And then go check out a Honda Pilot...then realize how similar (too similar) it is to the MDX. The interior of the MDX seems so outdated compared to the Pilot and the RX. The MDX touts it has a 3rd row, but it's basically useless except for children.

What are some things you don't like about the RX, besides the uncertainty about performance?
Old 02-02-16 | 04:50 AM
bootman
Intermediate

I find a proven track record of reliability much more important than 0-60 times.
I went from a 2014 ES to the 2016 RX and to me the RX is a bit faster off the line.
But so what? If I wanted a racer SUV I would have went for a Audi SQ5 that would have fell apart at year 3.
Old 02-02-16 | 10:21 AM
NickL
Racer

Originally Posted by dchar
And then go check out a Honda Pilot...then realize how similar (too similar) it is to the MDX. The interior of the MDX seems so outdated compared to the Pilot and the RX. The MDX touts it has a 3rd row, but it's basically useless except for children.

What are some things you don't like about the RX, besides the uncertainty about performance?
The MDX 3rd row wasn't the selling point for me at all. I know 95% of the time, it would be folded down for cargo space. What attract me are the features and power of the MDX. For example, the LED headlamps and the dual screen Navi are standard features.

Without a test drive of the RX and just a 20minutes in the dealer looking at the '16 RX, several things I didn't like on the new design. The Navigation screen on the dash does not look like it belongs there. It reminds me of the portable GPS with the sand bag you put on the dash board. The stalk locks. At least they're flushed on the door board when it's locked but why did they go with this? Also, on wheel well has this black plastic extended about 2" on the body. I know it's for rust protection but I've never seen any previous RX with rust in this area even in where I live.

There are things that I like. The '16 exterior design is an improvement over the previous model to me. The transmission shifter is where it should be on the '16 RX. I HATED the location of previous model transmission shifter.

Last edited by NickL; 02-02-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-02-16 | 10:25 AM
NickL
Racer

Originally Posted by bootman
I find a proven track record of reliability much more important than 0-60 times.
I went from a 2014 ES to the 2016 RX and to me the RX is a bit faster off the line.
But so what? If I wanted a racer SUV I would have went for a Audi SQ5 that would have fell apart at year 3.
Yes absolutely. But a little fast pick up when I need is always welcome. I'm not even consider any German line for purchase. If I lease, then I may consider it. But if I know I'll be keeping the car for 10+ years, it'll be something like a Toyota or Honda family.
Old 02-02-16 | 11:21 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

The MDX 3rd row wasn't the selling point for me at all. I know 95% of the time, it would be folded down for cargo space. What attract me are the features and power of the MDX. For example, the LED headlamps and the dual screen Navi are standard features.

Without a test drive of the RX and just a 20minutes in the dealer looking at the '16 RX, several things I didn't like on the new design. The Navigation screen on the dash does not look like it belongs there. It reminds me of the portable GPS with the sand bag you put on the dash board. The stalk locks. At least they're flushed on the door board when it's locked but why did they go with this? Also, on wheel well has this black plastic extended about 2" on the body. I know it's for rust protection but I've never seen any previous RX with rust in this area even in where I live.

There are things that I like. The '16 exterior design is an improvement over the previous model to me. The transmission shifter is where it should be on the '16 RX. I HATED the location of previous model transmission shifter.
I`d wait for NY Auto show, the major 2017 refresh for the MDX is coming through.
Old 02-09-16 | 10:59 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Old RX350 and MDX where the MDX SH_AWD is amazing

Now its ehh, they moved to a more economicaly SH_AWD that really needs to be pushed to the limit to get the torque vectroing.

The new RX has torque vectoring as well
Do you have any references about the new RX having torque vectoring? I would like to see it because i have never heard of it being made available for the RX. If it is available than that is another reason to buy a 16 RX AWD.

I do agree that Acuras poor decision to make the torque vectoring only work when pushed is really terrible. I mean who pushes there 7 row Crossover/Suv to the limit? Maby about 5% or Acura owmers might push their CUVs to make the torque vectoring work. So basically the technology is wasted on soccer moms and businessmen.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 02-09-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-19-16 | 10:36 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Yes absolutely. But a little fast pick up when I need is always welcome. I'm not even consider any German line for purchase. If I lease, then I may consider it. But if I know I'll be keeping the car for 10+ years, it'll be something like a Toyota or Honda family.
I did a little 0-60 tests using an Android app that uses a OBD II reader I have hooked up.
With a full tank of gas and >300 plus pounds of total passenger weight (my son using the app on his phone) I was able to get 7.25s 0-60 pretty easy. (2nd run at it on a street and I had to bail soon after)
So if you run with an empty tank of gas and >100lbs less weight, I could easily see someone getting mid 6s on a good run in sport and shift in manual while loading up the torque converter.
(which is how these published 0-60 times are done btw)

Last edited by bootman; 02-19-16 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-19-16 | 10:59 AM
v8MyFusion
Rookie

Not really though. When the IS-F was introduced they quoted a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds, when most all other review company's recorded a time of 4.2. Same thing applies to when the 2IS 350 was introduced. Lexus seems to be very modest with their 0-60 times. Which is good considering all other company's usually are the opposite. Same could be said for gas mileage too. I always get better in both city and highway then what Lexus claims it will get.
Old 03-30-16 | 11:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Car and Driver just tested one at 6.9 seconds.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wd-test-review

At 6.9 seconds to 60 mph, our 2016 RX350 shaved a tenth off the time posted by an F Sport version in 2013, and two-tenths off its zero-to-100mph time, at 18.3 seconds. That's not much of an improvement, and 6.9 seconds to 60 isn't exactly rocket-sled acceleration. Many of the vehicles in this class are significantly quicker. Still, it's not bad for a 4517-pound SUV with all-wheel drive, and the RX holds its own in the cut and thrust of daily traffic.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX Actual 0-60 Times