RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Illuminated Door Sills and Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 04:04 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by ejisfun
Fuse tap: you'll need two if doing the parking hardwire

CPL Lens Filter: not sure how helpful this actually is, but people seemed to recommend it

High endurance SD card: I got 256GB, but 128GB is probably enough

If you don't have a multimeter you may want one as well just to confirm you put the fuse tap in in the correct orientation.
I checked out the fuses and see what you mean about the fuse box....OMG what a pain in the ***.

Can I ask which route you used to connect the rear camera. Passenger side headliner or floor, or other? Plan on install on Monday. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-20, 06:34 AM
ejisfun
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
I checked out the fuses and see what you mean about the fuse box....OMG what a pain in the ***.

Can I ask which route you used to connect the rear camera. Passenger side headliner or floor, or other? Plan on install on Monday. Thanks again.
Passenger headliner - similar to the “method b” shown in this picture. Just tuck the cable into the weatherstripping at the top of the door openings and into the headliner seams at the top of the B and C pillars. The little car trim tool that comes with the dash cam is helpful for pulling back the headliner.
Old 08-15-20, 07:14 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by ejisfun
Passenger headliner - similar to the “method b” shown in this picture. Just tuck the cable into the weatherstripping at the top of the door openings and into the headliner seams at the top of the B and C pillars. The little car trim tool that comes with the dash cam is helpful for pulling back the headliner.
Thanks again....your information is very helpful. I don't think Lexus could have placed that fusebox in a more difficult location. I think that I have everything figured out now and hope to only swear a few times with the install.
Old 08-15-20, 10:04 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks again....your information is very helpful. I don't think Lexus could have placed that fusebox in a more difficult location. I think that I have everything figured out now and hope to only swear a few times with the install.
Give us an update when complete, @Quantum501 . I would like to install front and rear cams, too. Maybe seeing a few more success posts will help me screw up the courage to tamper with my $50K RX....
Old 08-15-20, 12:11 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Will do....I will try to take some pics along the way. Posts from ejisfun were super helpful to just understand the hardwire connections which I think now make sense. Just have to be sure to connect the taps the correct way and not reversed but I found a good YouTube video on that part of the process. I will try to create a DIY thread when (if) I get it installed.
Old 08-16-20, 05:59 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by bamalam
Give us an update when complete, @Quantum501 . I would like to install front and rear cams, too. Maybe seeing a few more success posts will help me screw up the courage to tamper with my $50K RX....
Well I finished the install this afternoon. It actually went pretty well.

I intended to take lots of pictures but the space is so cramped under the dash that I quit with the idea of photos along the way.
The summary and pictures posted by ejisfun (Post 138) was pretty much spot on.
I did the fuse tap exactly as he did. I also did the rear camera routing along passenger ceiling.

One thing that I did find easier was getting the rear camera data cable through the rubber hose. I also used the rightmost hose and used a trick that I saw on the YouTube clip. I taped the cable to a 8" zip tie....sprayed the zip tie with a little windex for lube, and then slowly fed it through. The zip tie avoids damage to wires, comes through easily, and made that part actually one of the easier steps. For me the hard part was working with the fuses in the tiny space.

Tomorrow when there is some daylight I will play around with settings and downloading and viewing video. The video is choppy on Quicktime (Mac) and I planned on using VLC, but that was crashing, so I need to find a video player for Mac or just use my laptop.

All in all not a very difficult job. Big thanks once again to ejisfun for his post which made the job much more clear on what to do and how. Good luck.

Last edited by Quantum501; 08-17-20 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-16-20, 08:15 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Well I finished the install this afternoon. It actually went pretty well.

All in all not a very difficult job. Big thanks once again to ejisfun for his post which made the job much more clear on what to do and how. Good luck.
Thanks for the update, and congratulations on getting it done.
Old 08-16-20, 08:42 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

That a very clean looking install. I’ve just recently learned that they work through the tinted windows amazingly well. I need to do this every time I drive the RX ppl are extra jerkish. When I drive my work van or even my wife’s RDX ppl drive normal but it seems the RX makes everybody wants to cut me off or worse. Anyway I love working on auto electronics, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for the ideas guys, I was lamenting that besides adding Apple play (waiting to see if any American company comes up with a solution) don’t really have anything to tinker with on this car.
Old 08-25-20, 01:47 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by eddie420
Thanks. That pricing is super odd, but I'll take it! I typically purchase from Lexus of West Kendall or oemvehicleparts.

https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-...k-pt9444816020

Same item but cheaper. Believe there is a code "25OFF" for 25% off shipping as well.
Can I ask how your experience with this company has been. I ordered parts and it took 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. Then I find that they sent the incorrect part....wrong color. When I contact the company I either get no answer or a person who talked about fixing the order but as of 24 hours has done nothing. Just wondering if they are having a bad day or is this a poorly run business. I expected a prepaid return label in my email and an email confirmation of parts on the way.
Old 09-02-20, 12:18 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Finally got the correct door sills. Super easy install (especially after doing the dash cam). I would recommend going with a company with better reviews since my experience was anything but pleasant. Very inexpensive but long wait and very poor customer service.
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (05-09-22)
Old 12-13-20, 11:15 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just installed the new illuminated door sills. Very easy to do, and took about 5 mins total. They look great, and should have come from the factory like this. Now if they could only make them for the rear as well.

bamalam (12-13-20)
Old 12-15-20, 03:49 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by vuong05
Just installed the new illuminated door sills. Very easy to do, and took about 5 mins total. They look great, and should have come from the factory like this. Now if they could only make them for the rear as well.
psst..... they do come from the factory like that.
mine did, and many others.
Cocal (12-15-20)
Old 03-28-21, 05:25 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Does the Rear have illuminated door slits?

or is it just for the fronts only? I notice the rears dont even have a logo on them.
Old 03-28-21, 07:01 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by WIZARD1325
or is it just for the fronts only? I notice the rears dont even have a logo on them.
Just the fronts. No options for the rears, as far as I can tell. BTW, lots of people replace the door puddle lights on both front and rear doors with LEDs that project the Lexus brand or logo. Many options on Amazon for $20.
Old 03-28-21, 08:08 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 622 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
psst..... they do come from the factory like that.
mine did, and many others.
eh? i don't get it. Mines a 2017 with the highest trim and it still didn't come with illuminated door sills. What option and package do they come on?

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sills and Dash Cam