RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Reverse lights LED upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 01:16 PM
bibika027
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HouCat
I ordered and installed the reverse and turn signal LEDs using bibika027's links. They are much brighter! The installation of the rear turn signals is a little tricky. I used the directions from the RX manual (page 620) and created no scratches nor broken tabs.
At your service
Old 03-01-22, 03:46 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Brightest LED for reverse light?

Which brand are you guys using to give you the best visibility improvement when reversing? Thanks
Old 03-26-22, 02:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyone tried the Lasfit brand?
Old 08-03-22, 08:40 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 771 Likes on 480 Posts

I personally really like VLEDs. They have a nice warranty. And they are quality LEDS. Another nice thing is they aren't huge profile and they can fit in smaller spots of the headlights, where a longer bulb normally doesn't get reflected correctly. I've used VLEDs for over ten years now and the ones they have now so far are my favorite style. I actually just ordered some for mt CT that I just got.

-Nigel
Old 08-19-22, 07:18 AM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So are you all replacing LEDs that are already on say a 2022 with a brighter LED or are you just speaking of LED for incadescent?
Old 08-20-22, 04:49 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiefsfan
So are you all replacing LEDs that are already on say a 2022 with a brighter LED or are you just speaking of LED for incadescent?
my 2022 had incandescent back up bulbs.i remove those ancient relics and threw them as far as i could ( not really, but i wanted to). I replaced them with a set of LED bulbs i got off Amazon. They are a whiter light and a noticeably brighter. Who knows which brand is best. I doubt anyone has tried them all, and there are many to choose from.
Old 08-20-22, 06:31 AM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexspeed
my 2022 had incandescent back up bulbs.i remove those ancient relics and threw them as far as i could ( not really, but i wanted to). I replaced them with a set of LED bulbs i got off Amazon. They are a whiter light and a noticeably brighter. Who knows which brand is best. I doubt anyone has tried them all, and there are many to choose from.
OK cuz I looked in the manual and it has an *1 beside all lights. and *1 says for Vehicles with single beam headlights. Mine is coming with the Triple Beam Adaptive ones.
Old 08-24-22, 08:44 AM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

For those with a 2022 with triple beam which has LEDS on the car, are the LEDs they use very bright or would replacing them with brighter ones be better?
Old 01-16-23, 08:22 PM
torque81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Denzo
with these LED reverse lights from Aliexpress, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000479198888.html
dab reception is disturbed when reversing. (No more sound from the radio).

I am a little confused. Why would it effect the DAB reception at all and only while reversing?
Old 01-17-23, 03:27 AM
Denzo
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The LED lights emit too much electromagnetic radiation. If they are connected to the same bandwidth as other electrical devices, it will cause interference. It's also possible that the LED lights are interfering with the radio via the wiring.
Old 01-18-23, 09:33 AM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

So on a 2022 I assume many of you have replaced some or all you can replace the bulbs even tho they already be LED in order to get brighter bulbs. None were LED on my Highlander, but I replaced all interior lights and back up lights. Has anyone done this and have a list of the ones they used and where you got them? Im sure there are several 921 size back up bulbs for instance.
Old 01-18-23, 01:54 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 271 Likes on 177 Posts

The LED lights emit too much electromagnetic radiation. If they are connected to the same bandwidth as other electrical devices, it will cause interference. It's also possible that the LED lights are interfering with the radio via the wiring.
Good luck with that conception of basic physics.
The following users liked this post:
lexnewbi (01-20-23)
Old 01-20-23, 01:41 PM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

OK Just for clarification... My RX is a 2022 450h.... It DOES have LED back up lights already.. Upon removing said cover in the back, I cant even see where they are. PLUS in the manual instructions it says if listed bulbs are LED to have dealer change it.. Why is that and have any on here changed their back up LEDs to a BRIGHTER LED? If so where is the darn thing? Is it not a normal looking bulb?
Old 01-20-23, 08:48 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

A lot of misconceptions and conflated ideas here. Hopefully, these explanations would help..

Most electromagnetic radiation or interference (EMI) is produced by badly designed high power circuits and board layouts with improper shielding that take alternating current (AC) signals and convert to DC. Also long cables with high frequency signals and improper shielding can leak electromagnetic signals. Electromagnetic radiation is caused by alternating currents in a circuit. So most circuits that work at high frequencies can generate it. Careful design, layout, and shielding of circuits can greatly minimize their EMI. In short anything running from AC sources, having a clocked frequency, or transmitting a signal (phone, radio, Bluetooth), can generate EMI. Wires long enough, in relation to the frequency of operation, and improperly shielded, can act as antenna and pick up this EMI signal and interfere with the signal that is currently transmitted by the wires.

LED are driven by direct current (DC) circuits or constant current. High power LED connected to alternating current (AC) sources need a driver circuits to convert the AC current to DC current to drive the LED. LED brightness also is controlled by quickly turning the current ON for a period of time and then OFF for the rest of the period. This is called pulse width modulation (PWM). You can see this effect by filming LED lights with a fast rate video camera. The video will show the LED lights blinking, but to our relatively slow eyes, they look on all the time..

Some really cheap and badly designed LED light bulbs that plugged into standard AC socket bulbs in a home were notorious for generating EMI and feeding noise back to other circuits sharing the same power supply wires. This injecting noise in the power supply is also typical of badly designed switching power circuits.

Some designs use PWM to control the intensity of light and/or manage heat generated by the LED and its driver circuits. This can exacerbate the total EMI generated by having both conducted and radiated EMI.

This is also true of poor designs for flourescent light fixtures and vapor lights than operate at high voltages and high frequency.

Note that a car accessories runs in DC current, and backup lights are low power. These backup LED lights have multiple LED that are connected in series and powered at a fixed current. So no alternating currents to produce EMI.

In a world filled with Wi-Fi, cell phones, Bluetooth devices, electronics, radio, TV, certain materials, sun, and stars, etc. we are constantly bathed in electromagnetic radiation, Some radiation can easily kill or cause damage (UV, X-Rays, Gamma-rays, etc.). There are numerous studies to determine what is safe, but it basically depends on short term and long term exposure, frequency of radiation, amplitude of signal, distance from source, and cell biology. Some of the studies are inconclusive For instance, does talking for hours with a cell phone next to your brain, kids playing under high power lines in a school for several years, or having numerous long high-altitude flights high have the potential to cause cancer or not? So minimizing exposure is good, but it most of it is hard to avoid. Nevertheless, we know how to design circuits to minimize EMI, it can be tested, and there are standards to meet, so except for greed, there is no excuse to not minimize EMI by manufacturers.
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 07:24 AM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

I guess no on has done it and/or havent changed oyt LEDs for LEDs.....

Quick Reply: Reverse lights LED upgrade