RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone Driven Both the NX200t and the RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 07:43 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone Driven Both the NX200t and the RX350?

I am interested in any impressions or opinions about both vehicles. I am actually a NX200t owner, but want something with a more comfortable ride. In the NX, I hear and feel every expansion joint on my local roads and freeways. The ride just isn't lexus smooth maybe because it is based on the RAV4 platform. I plan to test drive the RX soon, but would like to hear others' opinions.
Old 01-22-16, 08:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

NX: Nimble vehicle, but the pedal feels stressed out unless your in manual shift mode and reving the nuts off it. The cabin feels very wrapped around. Ride quality is similar to the RX base, but the differing factor is that its smaller so even a floaty suspension is controllable. NVH is bad unless you drive like a eco-pro.

RX: Floaty vehicle due to bigger size. NVH is pretty good relative to the NX. This is partly because the engine is a NA model so it doesnt need to rev out. Pedal is good. Ride quality is frankly similar to the NX. However having tested this vehicle multple times, I feel the reason its "better" is aural. The ride comfy and you can feel expansion joints, but since its hushed inside you cant tell much.

FYI the RX is highlander based, the NX is Rav4 based. To me it comes down to the motor.
Old 01-23-16, 09:44 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks coolsaber. Well, I went to the dealership and test drove the RX350 today. I noticed a very big difference in ride quality between it and the NX200t. The RX soaked up a lot of the road imperfections and the ride was quite smooth compared to the bouncier NX. I guess a longer wheelbase (5") and heavier vehicle (250 LBs) = more comfortable. I would describe the ride as very Lexus like, especially on the 18" wheels. I also drove an RX350 with the 20" wheels and that made things a little harsher. Not too bad, but if I have the choice I'll go with the admittedly less attractive 18" wheels.

The interior is very impressive. That 12" screen is enormous. The amount of room in the RX made me realize how tight the NX feels. I also like the ML audio option. It isn't priced in the stratosphere like many premium audio options and definitely delivers on the nameplate. Get it if you get an RX.

Kudos to Lexus for adding the ability to both close the trunk and lock the car. Waiting for the trunk to close on my NX and then locking the car in a separate step was silly, especially because the trunk closes at a snails pace.

They were selling a lot of NXs and RXs today.

Last edited by roblim; 01-23-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 12:05 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
Thanks coolsaber. Well, I went to the dealership and test drove the RX350 today. I noticed a very big difference in ride quality between it and the NX200t. The RX soaked up a lot of the road imperfections and the ride was quite smooth compared to the bouncier NX. I guess a longer wheelbase (5") and heavier vehicle (250 LBs) = more comfortable. I would describe the ride as very Lexus like, especially on the 18" wheels. I also drove an RX350 with the 20" wheels and that made things a little harsher. Not too bad, but if I have the choice I'll go with the admittedly less attractive 18" wheels.

The interior is very impressive. That 12" screen is enormous. The amount of room in the RX made me realize how tight the NX feels. I also like the ML audio option. It isn't priced in the stratosphere like many premium audio options and definitely delivers on the nameplate. Get it if you get an RX.

Kudos to Lexus for adding the ability to both close the trunk and lock the car. Waiting for the trunk to close on my NX and then locking the car in a separate step was silly, especially because the trunk closes at a snails pace.

They were selling a lot of NXs and RXs today.
Oh yea the NX is snug, and i dont fall into the big category either. It seems very tight, almost like the last gen RX