RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gray area in panoramic view monitor

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16 | 01:17 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Originally Posted by fular
I think you got this right. The side camera can not show the full image
I am certain this is wrong. The picture is a bit off, but the gray area is translucent, you can see everything behind it if you look hard at it.

Its either a programming thing or a sticker on the camera, my best guess now is so you dont start trying to drive using only the camera?

It doesnt provide any shade, ill live with it, its still nice to have the front camera... maybe someday ill take apart the camera to see if anything is on it.
Old 05-04-16 | 04:04 PM
fular
Driver School Candidate

Do you think the shade is inside the front camera?
Old 05-04-16 | 04:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fular
Do you think the shade is inside the front camera?
Why dont ya just test out your hypothesis. That shaded out part exists in modern GXes in the wide view camera system, but cannot confirm the area is translucent.
Old 05-04-16 | 08:24 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Is the panoramic feature only on the Luxury packaged vehicles?
Old 05-04-16 | 09:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roblim
Is the panoramic feature only on the Luxury packaged vehicles?
Not sure if its prereq for Panoramic Monitor Package, but its a standalone package.
Old 10-30-16 | 04:07 PM
TProfit
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone figure this out because I find this absolutely annoying!!!
Old 10-30-16 | 04:44 PM
FastFord
Racer

Looks like the "shade" is inside the front camera, the one in the grill. I covered up the ones in the windshield and the shade is there and not blocked. I covered up the camera in the grill and it blocks the camera, however, you still see the shaded part. Guessing that it is a shade inside the front camera to help block glare. I can't see inside the camera as it's too small.
Old 10-30-16 | 06:57 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I think they did it for safety.

You can still see through the grey shaded spot but it's just shaded grey. They may have done it to show that it's the front of the car and not the rear? Either way, you get used to it.
Old 10-31-16 | 05:40 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ccb777
The front camera looks front and down. The side cameras can see left and right to some extent. The gray wedge is where there is no camera coverage. The front camera does not look up. the side camera can only look so far to left and right. When using in this mode you can see some side traffic and stuff on the road in front of you, This is not a mistake.

This is correct. Even my LX has the same exact grey wedge!
Old 11-06-16 | 03:20 PM
FastFord
Racer

So I've been waiting a week for the dealer to tell me what the wedge is. The master mechanic thought it was a leaf? Really!!!! Then they said they would replace the camera! really! I showed them that all Lexus and Toyota's have this wedge. Oh they said. Fed up I called Lexus and asked to give it to their tech people...after talking to someone at Lexus, they had never seen this and they told me to take it to the dealer.

I sent them a Lexus video showing the wedge, they said they would investigate and get back to me...

Boy, I can't wait...
Old 11-06-16 | 04:25 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord
So I've been waiting a week for the dealer to tell me what the wedge is. The master mechanic thought it was a leaf? Really!!!! Then they said they would replace the camera! really! I showed them that all Lexus and Toyota's have this wedge. Oh they said. Fed up I called Lexus and asked to give it to their tech people...after talking to someone at Lexus, they had never seen this and they told me to take it to the dealer.

I sent them a Lexus video showing the wedge, they said they would investigate and get back to me...

Boy, I can't wait...
It's funny because it's even on the lexus how to videos.

Old 11-06-16 | 05:23 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

its even on the new rav 4.

AKA it's SUPPOSED to be there.. Lame
Old 11-07-16 | 04:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastFord

Boy, I can't wait...
Kinda tells me they know not what they are talking about.
Old 11-17-16 | 08:31 AM
FastFord
Racer

So Lexus came thru for those wondering what the Grey wedge is...

I will post their response when I get the email.

It was described as a safety area because of how the camera reads the surroundings. The camera is not 100 % accurate ( under all conditions) and they don't want people to drive by a camera. There is a brief description of the other grey areas in the owners manual where the camera can not read the surroundings 100% and they warn you not to explicitly judge the distance based on what you see in the cameras. Distances can be out + or - depending on where the item is in relation to the vehicle.

So as some people thought it was safety feature...you win a new Lexus of your choice!
Old 11-17-16 | 06:24 PM
computerwi
Advanced

The wedge could be a little smaller at least... It's ridiculous that you can see through it but yet its greyed out.

Quick Reply: Gray area in panoramic view monitor