RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Headlight Choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 05:53 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Headlights

Are the triple beam headlights have a wider and/or brighter beam on the ground then the single projector?
Old 10-03-20, 11:51 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Are the triple beam headlights have a wider and/or brighter beam on the ground then the single projector?
You can view headlight rates for recent RX model years at https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...-door-suv/2020
The following users liked this post:
GS4_Fiend (10-03-20)
Old 10-03-20, 09:23 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

The triple beams are undeniably gorgeous, the auto leveling feature is cool, but the turning headlight just sounds cool. I had this feature on my Acura TL and on my old ES. Atleast in NJ where we have ample lighting it doesn’t make a noticeable difference, it reminds me of the Nissan my father had when I was a kid it would turn on a corner light when he turned the blinker on. I’m a lighting snob as I’ve done real hid retrofits into a few of my cars that didn’t have hids. The standard RX lighting is awesome to the point that I don’t think the leds could match them.

Last edited by ellocovg; 10-03-20 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 09:31 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Check out these YouTube videos, this reviewer does a headlight test of each car, nothing scientific but confirms what many have said over time, including the IIHS. For the first video, the headlight test of the standard Bi-LEDs begins at 5:24. For the second video, the headlight test of the Triple Beams begins at 3:12. In the second video, he compares the Triple Beams to the Bi-LEDs that he previously tested. He had both vehicles at the same time.

https://youtu.be/IEHUBcMrnmM?t=324

https://youtu.be/lXS25FZ0QHI?t=192

Basically, the Bi-LEDs and the Triple Beams are actually pretty comparable in performance. This isn't to say the Triple Beams are bad, it's just that the standard Bi-LEDs are very good. With the Triple Beam option, you do get much better looking headlights, a nicer & crisper Lexus "L" DRL, & LED turn signals in addition to cornering lights that make upgrading worth it just for that alone, IMO.

However, the IIHS tested both sets of headlights and actually rated the Triple Beams as worse than the Bi-LEDs. The standard Bi-LEDs got an "A" or "acceptable" rating and the Triple Beams were rated as "M" or "marginal" which is one notch below "A" and just above "P" for "poor."

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve.../rx-4-door-suv

Newer generations of Lexus vehicles, like the new ES, have Triple Beams that are actually worth the upgrade in terms of lighting performance so this isn't a characteristic of all Lexus triple beam headlights and most are an upgrade over the base Bi-LEDs.
The Triple Beam headlight he is demonstrating is the Regular Triple Beam that does not have Adaptive Lighting.

According to the IIHS, the Triple Beam with Adaptive Lighting shoots the farthest but has glare problems. The Regular Triple Beam shoots less far than the Regular LED Projectors.

So, if you are planning to get the Triple beam, get the one with Adaptive Lighting.
hziemba (07-01-24)
Old 09-13-21, 06:23 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Headlight differences

Looking into getting a 2017+ f-sport. Other than the obvious what's the difference between the triple beam headlights and the single projector ones? I'm big on lights and headlights and want the best output as possible. Tia
Old 09-13-21, 06:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by FinLIFE
Looking into getting a 2017+ f-sport. Other than the obvious what's the difference between the triple beam headlights and the single projector ones? I'm big on lights and headlights and want the best output as possible. Tia
Triple beams are adaptive for better visibility on cornering. Other than that, not sure there's much advantage and in fact the big disadvantage is the cost if one ever goes bad out of warranty. Roughly $2,700 each 😨. I have the trips on my ES and the singles on my wife's RX.
FinLIFE (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 01:36 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the 2017 RX450h with triple beams. They do not adapt when cornering. Just turn on lights next to fog lights when turning at low speeds. The regular Bi-LED lights do Adaptive Front Lighting, or a slight turn when driving on curves.

On the 2020 RX models, Lexus added Adaptive Front Lightning to the Triple Beam headlights that also adjust the angle of lights to illuminate curves.

You can look at IHS ratings for the best headlights per model:
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...020#headlights
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...017#headlights
As you can see the Triple Beams lights with NO adaptive lighting got a marginal rating versus the Bi-LEDs that received an acceptable rating.

Last edited by lexnewbi; 09-15-21 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-27-22, 01:56 AM
Shaker66
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple beam startup sequence/dance

So I saw a video on YouTube
and I noticed that aside from the self leveling it also does some light flashing. Does anyone else with a tri beam have this or is it not common for North American rx350s?
Old 06-27-22, 03:07 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaker66
So I saw a video on YouTube here and I noticed that aside from the self leveling it also does some light flashing. Does anyone else with a tri beam have this or is it not common for North American rx350s?
I have never seen the light flashing thing. just the up and down. don't think it is available in NA, for sure not on my usa 17. (car was built 10/17 or 11/17. )​​​​​​
Old 03-08-24, 04:07 AM
Mantinis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What difference headlights england and usa? or same?

Headlight is with 3led's. England and usa are the same headlights? I know about the difference of light beam direction..

Last edited by Mantinis; 03-08-24 at 04:08 AM. Reason: picture accidentally inserted
Old 07-30-24, 01:05 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mantinis
Headlight is with 3led's. England and usa are the same headlights? I know about the difference of light beam direction..
I realize this thread began several years ago, but the headlights in the US are certainly not the same as the ones in England or for that matter Canada. Because of US law, the true adaptive highbeam system AHS is not available in the United States. However that law changed, a bit over a year ago to allow the adaptive high beam system in the US. As I write this in July 2024, the AHS is not yet available in the US. It is however available in Canada.

To be clear, when I say adaptive high beam system, I am referring to a system which changes the high-beam to a low beam when traffic is approaching, but instead of being all or nothing, it drops the high beam, but only that part which would illuminate the oncoming traffic. In other words, it creates a notch in the beam so other parts of the road ahead of you are still illuminated using high beams.

My 2013 GS has premium headlights which swivel into turns, and do the auto level adjustment on startup.