RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 09:47 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by elimmigran

oem hitch appears to be tucked in (up) compared to the Curt. As in, higher up. I bought the oem pieces under this observation (assumption) and I don’t want to install them if I’m wrong. My rx is lowered so having the hitch sit higher is important to me.
OK, yes, the Curt hitch attaches at the same places as the Lexus hitch, but the center bows or arches down to the bottom of the bumper. There is no cutting the bumper with the Curt. The difference is maybe an inch or so. I’m not sure I would tow anything with a lowered suspension, but that’s just me.
Old 05-04-18, 10:01 PM
Rxlady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

The only thing I can think that you will need is your trailer wiring plug. The Lexus factory wiring plug should plug right up to a trailer plug (that your trailer wires plug into).
Thanks. I think with my last Rx, the dealer told me that we needed a relay, that we could only buy from Lexus. Something about the LED lights? It was expensive, so I am hoping I don’t need one of those.
Old 05-05-18, 05:22 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

OK, yes, the Curt hitch attaches at the same places as the Lexus hitch, but the center bows or arches down to the bottom of the bumper. There is no cutting the bumper with the Curt. The difference is maybe an inch or so. I’m not sure I would tow anything with a lowered suspension, but that’s just me.
it’s for a bike rack and I’ve seen some bike racks that scrape going up steep driveways.
Old 05-05-18, 09:10 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxlady
Thanks. I think with my last Rx, the dealer told me that we needed a relay, that we could only buy from Lexus. Something about the LED lights? It was expensive, so I am hoping I don’t need one of those.
​​​​​​
so with the tow package the relay is supposed to be installed. Without it, you just need the Toyota part... From older models. I paid about 60 for it...iirc. not to hard to install and works great... Just tested yesterday with a hitch light tester.
Old 05-05-18, 10:00 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by daveylin
​​​​​​
so with the tow package the relay is supposed to be installed. Without it, you just need the Toyota part... From older models. I paid about 60 for it...iirc. not to hard to install and works great... Just tested yesterday with a hitch light tester.
Yes, all that is included in the tow package. It’s plug-and-play.
Old 05-05-18, 10:03 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by elimmigran

it’s for a bike rack and I’ve seen some bike racks that scrape going up steep driveways.
Yes, I can see that happening because the RX doesn’t sit very high & there isn’t much of an angel to keep from scraping. Just make sure the rack goes straight up & not out from the hitch & you should be good for most driveways.
Old 07-19-18, 04:07 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts
Default Curt hitch on a 2017 RX350h

Does anyone have a pic of their Curt hitch no harness on their 2016-2018 RX450h. We had one on our 2015 and looked great. Was flush with the bumper and could hardly see it. Getting one and just want to make sure how it fits, low and flush with bumper. Does anything on the bumper have to be cut?
Thanks
Old 07-19-18, 07:09 PM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the best picture I have on my phone of the curt hitch on my 450h..the only part that was cut was the air shield underneath.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 03:46 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmtsx

Here is the best picture I have on my phone of the curt hitch on my 450h..the only part that was cut was the air shield underneath.
From the side does it extend pass bumper?
Old 07-20-18, 05:54 PM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

No it doesn’t..it’s even with the bumper
Old 08-15-18, 04:44 PM
TPBC44
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow Hitch installed on 2018 RX350L

I recently purchased the RX350L with the intent to have a tow hitch installed. I’ve searched on the web and at the dealership for the RX 350L tow hitch and came up empty handed. (the parts guys told me as of now Lexus has not released the part out yet). I've checked out the Etrailer Q&A section; the photo of the underside is different. The RXL rear underside is a lot different because of the exposed spare tire. I took the suggestion from my sales person to check with U-Haul since I’m using it for a bike rack only (currently own the 4 bike Yakima Four Timer bike rack). The store had to order and took 6 days to arrive. The bolt pattern is the same as the Highlander. Unfortunately, no trimming was needed where the hitch sticks out. However, the left rear splash guard has to be trimmed and they did not have any instructions on how to cut it. I’m glad they held off. I’m a little nervous having that area exposed. But I’m not planning to go off-roading anytime soon. Lol. This was way cheaper than what the $700 hitch (installation not included) the dealership quoted me. It was $236.40. I took the U-Haul sticker off for a cleaner look. Hope they get the information on how to cut the rear splash guard soon. Until then I’m happy to be able to put bikes on and go Mtn. Biking with my kids again. Hope this helps all the 350L owners wanting an aftermarket tow hitch installed.

Last edited by TPBC44; 08-15-18 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (08-16-18)
Old 08-16-18, 07:37 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a the Curt for my 2017 RX350.
Old 08-16-18, 08:46 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

I like your installation! Nice & clean.

I have a question for those that pull a small trailer or load lots of stuff in the back of your RX. I have extensively searched for any type of rear suspension supplement for my RX. It’s rated to tow 3500 lbs & my trailer is below that with my motorcycle. Unfortunately, even without the trailer, a heavy item of 100 lbs or more in the back, causes the rear suspension to sag & dip on rolling roads. My RX doesn’t have load leveling that I’m aware of. It’s a handful at night, because it causes the already glaring headlights to point up at oncoming traffic. Any solution or ideas?
Old 08-16-18, 11:13 AM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a '17 RX350 FSport and wanted to confirm that the Curt#13272 hitch fits as the etrailer.com says exclude F-Sport but I have read through this entire thread and seems like folks have successfully installed it.

I wanted to confirm that's the case and also if the F-sport with the tow package has the hitch wiring pre-installed and there is nothing else to purchase. Does anyone have a picture of the wiring harness as this is will my first hitch install but seems very straight forward? Thanks.
Old 08-16-18, 12:34 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by kvtram
I have a '17 RX350 FSport and wanted to confirm that the Curt#13272 hitch fits as the etrailer.com says exclude F-Sport but I have read through this entire thread and seems like folks have successfully installed it.

I wanted to confirm that's the case and also if the F-sport with the tow package has the hitch wiring pre-installed and there is nothing else to purchase. Does anyone have a picture of the wiring harness as this is will my first hitch install but seems very straight forward? Thanks.
Your wires for harness should be in the rear, under the bumper on the drivers side. It will be a white plug & it’s plug-n-play with your wiring harness to the hitch.

Quick Reply: Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)