RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 02:22 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Curt 13252 Hitch

This may be buried in a thread somewhere ( I couldn't find it) but I confirmed that this hitch will not fit an HL or L. Called Curt customer support because I couldn't find a definitive answer. They said the Highlander hitch would work but you have to grind down some metal underneath. But, the support person said they hope to have the HL/L hitch released in a few weeks.
Old 08-16-18, 02:55 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts
Default 2017 RX450h Curt hitch

Would someone confirm that the Curt class 3 hitch #13282 fits? Seems like the RX 350 and 450 use different ones.
Thanks
Old 08-16-18, 06:48 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kvtram
I have a '17 RX350 FSport and wanted to confirm that the Curt#13272 hitch fits as the etrailer.com says exclude F-Sport but I have read through this entire thread and seems like folks have successfully installed it.

I wanted to confirm that's the case and also if the F-sport with the tow package has the hitch wiring pre-installed and there is nothing else to purchase. Does anyone have a picture of the wiring harness as this is will my first hitch install but seems very straight forward? Thanks.
Originally Posted by wktjr
This may be buried in a thread somewhere ( I couldn't find it) but I confirmed that this hitch will not fit an HL or L. Called Curt customer support because I couldn't find a definitive answer. They said the Highlander hitch would work but you have to grind down some metal underneath. But, the support person said they hope to have the HL/L hitch released in a few weeks.
Originally Posted by Freds430
Would someone confirm that the Curt class 3 hitch #13282 fits? Seems like the RX 350 and 450 use different ones.
Thanks
Call Curt directly. Easy to get customer support.
Old 08-20-18, 07:17 PM
PacaLady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2018 RXL

Hi All. I just purchased the 2018 RXL and should take possession in a few days. I currently have a 2005 Lexus RX. I was just told that the RXL does not have a hitch for it yet. Available early 2019. I just got the VIN and information from the car they located for me. I noticed that it does NOT have the tow package on it. My current lexus does. Will NOT having the tow package affect me towing a cargo rack with bicycle attachment? Would I be able to tow a small trailer with kayak's on it without the tow package?

In my current Lexus I have pulled my horse trailer when an emergency came up and the truck was out of commission. I am assuming with the tow package I will not be able to do this anymore.

My plan is to have a hitch and wiring harness put on the RXL, but now I am concerned that it won't meet my needs without the tow package.
Old 08-21-18, 02:42 AM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PacaLady
Hi All. I just purchased the 2018 RXL and should take possession in a few days. I currently have a 2005 Lexus RX. I was just told that the RXL does not have a hitch for it yet. Available early 2019. I just got the VIN and information from the car they located for me. I noticed that it does NOT have the tow package on it. My current lexus does. Will NOT having the tow package affect me towing a cargo rack with bicycle attachment? Would I be able to tow a small trailer with kayak's on it without the tow package?

In my current Lexus I have pulled my horse trailer when an emergency came up and the truck was out of commission. I am assuming with the tow package I will not be able to do this anymore.

My plan is to have a hitch and wiring harness put on the RXL, but now I am concerned that it won't meet my needs without the tow package.
As small trailer or just a bike rack should be no problem. Larger trailers would depend on weight and distance. If it concerns you enough, talk to your dealer about having the tow package installed. You would have to pay cost ($265) plus labor. Or, have them locate you another vehicle.
Old 08-21-18, 04:55 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

If all you ever plan to do is use a bike rack, you will be fine. If you plan to tow, you’re screwed. Without the tow package, you have no factory plug for trailer lights. That means some jag off will be cutting & splicing wires on your new Lexus that will cause you problems at a later date. You also lose the transmission cooler. If you plan to tow at all, I would wait until the package is available or look at a different vehicle.
Old 08-21-18, 11:39 AM
PacaLady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your vehicle have the tow package? If so, what type of rear seats does it have? I was recently told the car I want doesn't exist. RXL tow package and bucket seats. Apparently, it has a build restriction to it - something about weight.
Old 08-21-18, 12:37 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Does your vehicle have the tow package? If so, what type of rear seats does it have? I was recently told the car I want doesn't exist. RXL tow package and bucket seats. Apparently, it has a build restriction to it - something about weight.
No, I have a 2016 regular wheelbase. I haven’t understood what Lexus is doing with this stretched model. For some goofy reason they moved the rear wiper down to the bottom of the rear glass, instead of keeping it up inside the rear spoiler. It’s just the two of us, so we saw no reason to have a third seat in any suv. It’s only big enough for a small child, so what’s the point? If I needed 3 rows, I personally would look at a different vehicle. Check your specs VERY carefully on this. If this Lexus doesn’t have what you want/need, look at the Honda Pilot, Acura MDX & VW Atlas.
Old 08-21-18, 05:36 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

No, I have a 2016 regular wheelbase. I haven’t understood what Lexus is doing with this stretched model. For some goofy reason they moved the rear wiper down to the bottom of the rear glass, instead of keeping it up inside the rear spoiler. It’s just the two of us, so we saw no reason to have a third seat in any suv. It’s only big enough for a small child, so what’s the point? If I needed 3 rows, I personally would look at a different vehicle. Check your specs VERY carefully on this. If this Lexus doesn’t have what you want/need, look at the Honda Pilot, Acura MDX & VW Atlas.
All of those models would work. However if you consider the Atlas, beware, I lurked various FB pages and forums for months. A lot of teething issues, lots of buy backs by VW. Seems to have more than you usual share of first year issues. I'd go with the MDX.
Old 08-21-18, 09:17 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

All of those models would work. However if you consider the Atlas, beware, I lurked various FB pages and forums for months. A lot of teething issues, lots of buy backs by VW. Seems to have more than you usual share of first year issues. I'd go with the MDX.
Good info - thanks! I haven’t kept up past the buzz of the new release. That’s so sad that it plagued will problems. Also look at the Hyundai Santa Fe (Big one) - I think it’s the Touring model.
Old 08-22-18, 01:39 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Talking

It got so bad someone created another Atlas FB page where you could only post "positive"comments.
Old 08-24-18, 06:30 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

If all you ever plan to do is use a bike rack, you will be fine. If you plan to tow, you’re screwed. Without the tow package, you have no factory plug for trailer lights. That means some jag off will be cutting & splicing wires on your new Lexus that will cause you problems at a later date. You also lose the transmission cooler. If you plan to tow at all, I would wait until the package is available or look at a different vehicle.
This is not true. You are not screwed. I have a 2016 f sport with no tow package. Most of the wiring is there. You will need a relay which is about 60 bucks and possibly a fuse (seems hit or miss if the tow fuse is put in without a tow package). The relay is plug and play though you need to pull back some trim in the trunk to install.

After those two just use the wiring that shows in the rear under the car and you are good to go. I towed a uhaul trailer with 3 wine barrels for a about 150 miles without issue. Lights worked perfectly.

I posted the part on one of the sticky threads. The only thing I am unsure of is that yours is an rxl... But just look under the car and see if you see the tow wire plug. If you do it's all gravy.
Old 08-24-18, 06:52 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Thanks
I got this one installed on my 2017 RX350. Fits perfectly. I think I posted a picture of it being installed earlier on this post.

Curt Manufacturing CURT 13272 Class 3 Trailer Hitch

Old 08-24-18, 07:46 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by daveylin
This is not true. You are not screwed. I have a 2016 f sport with no tow package. Most of the wiring is there. You will need a relay which is about 60 bucks and possibly a fuse (seems hit or miss if the tow fuse is put in without a tow package). The relay is plug and play though you need to pull back some trim in the trunk to install.

After those two just use the wiring that shows in the rear under the car and you are good to go. I towed a uhaul trailer with 3 wine barrels for a about 150 miles without issue. Lights worked perfectly.

I posted the part on one of the sticky threads. The only thing I am unsure of is that yours is an rxl... But just look under the car and see if you see the tow wire plug. If you do it's all gravy.
When I said “...you’re screwed.”, I meant two things will get really complicated & may not work well. It’s your car, you can do anything you want. However, towing anything more than 1,000 lbs will put a strain on the transmission.
1) The tow package includes a transmission cooler. If you tow without the tow package & have transmission issues, Lexus can deny warranty on the transmission. To me, it’s not worth the risk.
2) The tow package includes the trailer wiring plug under the rear cargo floor on the driver’s side. Models without the tow package do not have that plug. I have owned two used vehicles where someone added a trailer hitch & wiring - what a freak’n nightmare. Over time, spliced wires become exposed to the elements, tape falls off, wiring gets brittle & lights begin to not work correctly. Before I purchased my Lexus, I went to two places that install hitches to see if they could wire everything up without the tow package. I came away believing they were all ametures & didn’t want them touching my car with wire cutters & splices.

You can do what you want, but I’m offering the best advice I can give. There are certainly other ways to go about this & there are many reputable shops to do the work, just none in my area that I would trust. My thoughts on this is you are buying an expensive quality vehicle that will hopefully last you for many years. Don’t get in a hurry. Get exactly what you want & need. If Lexus is coming out with what you want in a few months, wait for it. I personally don’t want anyone’s rig job, I want factory engineered & waranted parts, but these are my thoughts & other’s thoughts may differ greatly.
Old 08-24-18, 02:24 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CharmCtyIS
I got this one installed on my 2017 RX350. Fits perfectly. I think I posted a picture of it being installed earlier on this post.

Curt Manufacturing CURT 13272 Class 3 Trailer Hitch

Yes, that should fit the 350 and 450 but not the L's.

Quick Reply: Non-OE tow hitch alternatives? (merged threads)