RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Trunk open / close function?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 01:10 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Trunk open / close function?

I did a test drive at one dealership and wound up purchasing at another.
The first dealer should me, that when closing your trunk there is a piece of rubber on the inside of the trunk lid that if you press on it will prevent your trunk from closing - we just picked up our car yesterday from another dealership and they have no idea where to press and never heard of this feature - the original dealer where we did the test drive said all models have this - but I cant figure it out - please help
Old 02-25-16, 01:52 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Never heard of this rubber piece, but the power trunk has a sensor that will recognize resistance that will cause it to stop.
Old 02-25-16, 03:01 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Never heard of this rubber piece, but the power trunk has a sensor that will recognize resistance that will cause it to stop.
The way the first dealer should it, was it was the rubber that wraps around the lid and he just pushed it up on the side and he's like it works from anywhere on the trunk.
I have not tried it today, I tried for a few seconds in the rain yesterday as it was my first day with the car but no luck, and the tech guy at the dealership I got it from said he has no idea about it.
Old 02-25-16, 04:40 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you check the manual?
Becasue if it isn't there.....
Old 02-25-16, 08:48 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a rubber button on the right side that you push to close the back door. You can also stop the door from closing by pushing this button again.
Standing behind the vehicle with the back up, push the button and the back will start to close. Push the button again and the back will stop where it is. You can also use this button to set the back to stop at any height you prefer. Is this what you're talking about?
Old 02-25-16, 09:33 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sandy14
There is a rubber button on the right side that you push to close the back door. You can also stop the door from closing by pushing this button again.
Standing behind the vehicle with the back up, push the button and the back will start to close. Push the button again and the back will stop where it is. You can also use this button to set the back to stop at any height you prefer. Is this what you're talking about?
It's not the actual button, that you push to close the trunk, its the rubber that wraps all around the trunk lid - i did not get a chance to play with it today - but I will try tomorrow and if i cant figure it out - I will post a photo of the part i am talking about - it's interesting that I have only seen that one dealer do it and no one else knows what this is lol and I cant go back to him because I got the car else where
Old 02-26-16, 02:11 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I do not think there is such a rubber switch but let us know how it works out.
Old 02-27-16, 11:28 AM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I do not think there is such a rubber switch but let us know how it works out.
I finally got around to playing with it today and I figured it out.
It's the rubber part on the lid that's right behind the medal part that lifts it, I forgot what that part is called the metal part that holds the lid on both sides - but the rubber behind it if you press it as your trunk is closing - it will stop the trunk immediately - I will try to put up pictures of that part later.
Old 02-27-16, 12:11 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 427 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Lions81
It's the rubber part on the lid that's right behind the medal part that lifts it, I forgot what that part is called the metal part that holds the lid on both sides - but the rubber behind it if you press it as your trunk is closing - it will stop the trunk immediately - I will try to put up pictures of that part later.
With all due respect, what in the heck are you talking about???
Old 02-27-16, 12:49 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the OP is refering to the rubberized open/close button, that you can press to open the rear door instead of the FOB or the proximity sensor over the logo.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM48E90U.pdf

pages 130 and 131
Old 02-27-16, 01:35 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lions81
If you are talking about the rubber button just above the tag, that is the button you use to open the door. There is no other button except the close button.

Your description is. . . .. well we do not understand.
Old 02-28-16, 06:09 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you are describing the safety stop sensor that encircles door to prevent entrapment. Probably not used too often for routine stopping of door closure. Most time folks either use button or grab door, as resistance stops travel of door.

Safety stop sensor more if your arm or fingers in door jamb as door closes. Usual salesperson suggests it's used routinely!?
Old 02-28-16, 07:49 AM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Sounds like you are describing the safety stop sensor that encircles door to prevent entrapment. Probably not used too often for routine stopping of door closure. Most time folks either use button or grab door, as resistance stops travel of door.

Safety stop sensor more if your arm or fingers in door jamb as door closes. Usual salesperson suggests it's used routinely!?
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about.
The sale's person said: this is an awesome feature if the trunk is closing and your pet or kid are near the trunk and you want to stop it, you just push this (safety stop sensor, that encircles the door) and it stop's it - he was pushing it as a great feature.

No wonder the dealership where I actually got it from - was like wtf is this guy talking about

Anyway I'm just happy you were able to specify, what it is exactly - thank you.