RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport sound generator ... Noisier than luxury

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 02:56 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
There are quite a few articles online talking about it:

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ideo-2156.html

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/08/...us-ls-preview/

You can see it here:

A thousand apologies ! I was driving an LS 600 f sport and it's virtually silent 😊
Old 03-14-16, 03:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
A thousand apologies ! I was driving an LS 600 f sport and it's virtually silent 😊
Ah, well, the LS600h...that's an entirely different story.
Old 03-14-16, 03:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

No it has a sound generator in the air intake ... It's mechanical not electric ...
My point was not that it has one but has anyone else noticed how much louder it is than a luxury model
The NX I know for a fact has an electric active in--cabin noise generator to help pipe and also negate the screaming 4 pot. Thought the RX F sport at least would have the same tech to help give the car a more apporiate feel. Mistaken on that on.

The RX F sport is going to be louder since it in fact has the nosie generatr. I dont think the luxury verion has it hence the reduced noise (again I havent been checked the luxury version in recent memory to see it as its basically not on my buy list).
Old 03-14-16, 08:32 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else test driven the 350 in both F Sport and Luxury ? The F Sport appears to me, to have significantly more induction noise and engine noise in general when accelerating hard blue to a sound generator on the intake manifold . I must be getting old because I prefer the quieter Luxury model or maybe it's because I'm driving a LS which is very quiet . Has anyone else gone from LS to current RX ?
Not LS to RX but GX to RX. Although the GX was 8cyl at 300+ hp, it was quieter than my RX.
Old 03-14-16, 09:38 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Originally Posted by coolsaber
Upon looking it seems as the active noise generator is for turbo 4 pot only . So the noise in the Fs are coming from the standard intake setup
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-08-17, 12:24 PM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I really like the Sport Grille look, but I'm quite concern about the noise generator. I've always been a fan of Lexus because of the quiet ride, making the engine more noisy is an idiotic idea to me.
Has anyone driven both and can provide a comment? Is it really much noisier than the non-sport model?
Thanks
Old 05-08-17, 04:14 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterQ
I really like the Sport Grille look, but I'm quite concern about the noise generator. I've always been a fan of Lexus because of the quiet ride, making the engine more noisy is an idiotic idea to me.
Has anyone driven both and can provide a comment? Is it really much noisier than the non-sport model?
Thanks
I have had both...The F sport is definitely noisier on hard acceleration. Not so much driving it normally. I do not find it that loud that it bothers me. A Supercharged V8 with headers and twin 3" exhaust out the side of the truck is noisy!
The following users liked this post:
MisterQ (05-16-17)
Old 05-09-17, 06:39 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
...The F sport is definitely noisier on hard acceleration. Not so much driving it normally...
Thanks for your reply, very helpful to know, I think I'll go with the F-sport package then.
I also find disappointing that there's only 2 available interior color options for the F-sport package, I like the wood trim and brown leather in the non-sport packages but they're not available for the F-sport package. I wish I could get a non-sport package trims with no engine sound generator and add the sport grille.
Old 05-09-17, 07:40 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Go with the F Sport. You won't be disappointed.
MisterQ (05-16-17)
Old 05-09-17, 08:16 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

"I wish I could get a non-sport package trims with no engine sound generator and add the sport grille"

It's been done...

www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-present/824940-f-sport-grille-fit-on-non-f-sport.html
Old 05-09-17, 08:36 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
"I wish I could get a non-sport package trims with no engine sound generator and add the sport grille"
It's been done...
www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-present/824940-f-sport-grille-fit-on-non-f-sport.html
Thanks, I saw that thread as well, but I prefer OEM parts and I also prefer not to tamper with a new car. So I'll put up with the engine noise during acceleration and go for the F-sport package.
Old 05-09-17, 09:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks, I saw that thread as well, but I prefer OEM parts and I also prefer not to tamper with a new car. So I'll put up with the engine noise during acceleration and go for the F-sport package.
Or go with the 450h F-Sport. It'll be even quieter

I test drove a '16 RX350 F-Sport and can't say I found the noise to be obnoxious. I'm sure you'll be fine too but take a long drive to be sure.
MisterQ (05-16-17)
Old 05-09-17, 11:08 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Or go with the 450h F-Sport. It'll be even quieter
I test drove a '16 RX350 F-Sport and can't say I found the noise to be obnoxious. I'm sure you'll be fine too but take a long drive to be sure.
Thanks, I'm going to test drive both to compare. I'm staying away from Hybrid for now, I've heard too many horror story about the exorbitant cost of battery repairs.
Old 05-09-17, 12:46 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I can not hear the sound induction on FSport. Hmmm
On the NX, I can turn it on and adjust volume.
Again, barely can tell it's turned on but I do notice the difference.
Sorta neat.
Old 05-09-17, 01:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks, I'm going to test drive both to compare. I'm staying away from Hybrid for now, I've heard too many horror story about the exorbitant cost of battery repairs.
Hybrid battery is covered for 8 years/100K in the US, not sure about Canada. But it'll probably be a long time before you'd have to worry about it. Price has dropped too.
MisterQ (05-16-17)

Quick Reply: F Sport sound generator ... Noisier than luxury