RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Beat-sonic CarPlay solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 04:23 PM
Flash916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat-sonic CarPlay solution

This was discussed over in the NX forums so I thought I would share it here too.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/blog/?p=48

I definitely will be getting this as soon as it's released for the 16 RX. What does everyone else think?
Old 03-14-16, 05:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

as long as the solution does not entail ripping apart the dashboard...where do i sign. However seeing as this is probably interfaces with the headunit, that will not be possible. Lets see what they do, and also need some time behind the wheel while using the remote touch to interface the two solutions.

Apple Carplay requires a touchscreen so using it with the remote touch will be interesting
Old 03-14-16, 09:06 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
as long as the solution does not entail ripping apart the dashboard...where do i sign. However seeing as this is probably interfaces with the headunit, that will not be possible. Lets see what they do, and also need some time behind the wheel while using the remote touch to interface the two solutions.

Apple Carplay requires a touchscreen so using it with the remote touch will be interesting
Did you see the video in the link using the remote?

I would also like to see Android auto as an option.
Old 03-14-16, 10:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bootman
Did you see the video in the link using the remote?

I would also like to see Android auto as an option.

Yup, I still question how this integration will be come a moving a vehicle and not a SEMA booth. The remote touch interface still bothers me so this will be interesting when also controls carplay
Old 03-15-16, 05:40 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car play may be the only thing that would tear me away from Lexus. I wonder why they insist on the remote touch when everyone hates it. I like a touch screen so much better.
Old 03-15-16, 06:51 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
Car play may be the only thing that would tear me away from Lexus. I wonder why they insist on the remote touch when everyone hates it. I like a touch screen so much better.
Amen. The remote touch is my LEAST LIKED thing about the 4RX. It would not have been hard to move the screen a little forward and let us touch to choose. The stupid mouse thing was a horrible idea.

But not a deal breaker for me
Old 03-15-16, 10:07 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Amen. The remote touch is my LEAST LIKED thing about the 4RX. It would not have been hard to move the screen a little forward and let us touch to choose. The stupid mouse thing was a horrible idea.

But not a deal breaker for me
Me neither. I looked at other cars before I bought my RX but like always I stayed with Lexus. Discounting the customer service and reliability, Lexus cars just look better.
Old 03-15-16, 10:13 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
Not everyone hates the remote touch, which is why they kept it. I prefer the joystick over touchscreen. Why would you want fingerprints on your screen? Don't you find it difficult to poke at the screen while traveling over bumps or around turns?
Old 03-15-16, 12:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Not everyone hates the remote touch, which is why they kept it. I prefer the joystick over touchscreen. Why would you want fingerprints on your screen? Don't you find it difficult to poke at the screen while traveling over bumps or around turns?
Lexus Infotainment engineers would like to thank you for your support.

That being said, probably the worst infotainment setup out there in the luxury class goes to:

Infinitii and Acura

Runner up award goes to:

Lexus

Its obvious that Lexus decided the only way to compete with the germans on infotainment was to outright copy them. Remote touch looks like Audi MMI+BMW I Drive+MB Command had a baby?

It makes no sense, its hard to use when in motion, plus is it locks you out of certain functions although its not a touchschreen? On top of that why are they still hell bent on the whole "we dont want APPLE in our vehicles" We will make our own. The navigation maps are still not integrating any time OTA Google Maps or even detailed on board high-res map data.

#RantOver

The beats will do wonders to at least offer something previously impossible, upgrading the headunit. However it still has to go via the remote touch interface
Old 03-15-16, 01:22 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Lexus Infotainment engineers would like to thank you for your support.

That being said, probably the worst infotainment setup out there in the luxury class goes to:

Infinitii and Acura

Runner up award goes to:

Lexus

Its obvious that Lexus decided the only way to compete with the germans on infotainment was to outright copy them. Remote touch looks like Audi MMI+BMW I Drive+MB Command had a baby?

It makes no sense, its hard to use when in motion, plus is it locks you out of certain functions although its not a touchschreen? On top of that why are they still hell bent on the whole "we dont want APPLE in our vehicles" We will make our own. The navigation maps are still not integrating any time OTA Google Maps or even detailed on board high-res map data.

#RantOver

The beats will do wonders to at least offer something previously impossible, upgrading the headunit. However it still has to go via the remote touch interface
I feel like it's very easy to use while in motion since your hand isn't bouncing up and down. Neither the X5 or GLE have touchscreens too even though they put the screen in range of your arm.

I recently test drove the GLE and that is hands down the worst system I've ever used. Just look at this monstrosity:

Do you use the wheel? Do you touch? You can't even rest your hand on it without it clicking. I am very tech saavy and picked up the BMW system quickly but the Merc made me want to cut off my hand.
Old 03-15-16, 01:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I feel like it's very easy to use while in motion since your hand isn't bouncing up and down. Neither the X5 or GLE have touchscreens too even though they put the screen in range of your arm.

I recently test drove the GLE and that is hands down the worst system I've ever used. Just look at this monstrosity:

Do you use the wheel? Do you touch? You can't even rest your hand on it without it clicking. I am very tech saavy and picked up the BMW system quickly but the Merc made me want to cut off my hand.
Merc is bad but not as bad as the Remote from Lexus. You are not locked out of features and you get carplay out of the box. BMW is still king with its idrive.
Old 03-15-16, 02:06 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Merc is bad but not as bad as the Remote from Lexus. You are not locked out of features and you get carplay out of the box. BMW is still king with its idrive.
I thought getting locked out of features is regardless of touchscreen or joystick?

Carplay only arrived in later year GLE and it requires you to flip back and forth between operating systems. For example, to change temperature settings you have to exit carplay to go back to the Merc UI...not a smooth process and definitely not the clean carplay experience you'd expect

idrive was nice but you are limited by the wheel. spin spin spin until you get to what you want
Old 03-15-16, 02:22 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I thought getting locked out of features is regardless of touchscreen or joystick?

Carplay only arrived in later year GLE and it requires you to flip back and forth between operating systems. For example, to change temperature settings you have to exit carplay to go back to the Merc UI...not a smooth process and definitely not the clean carplay experience you'd expect

idrive was nice but you are limited by the wheel. spin spin spin until you get to what you want
Lets go with the Benchmark of infotainment: IDrive.
No touchscreen (at least not in the X5, the new 7 series is a whole new story). Primary interface is touchwheel (so letts can be written on top of the wheel).
Every feature is accessible while in motion. Siri handsfree and of course regular voice command just works.
The chances of trying to point and click AND miss are nonexistant. on top of that you have excellent map data. Apple Carplay is not available but its coming in the LCI.
Old 03-15-16, 02:58 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

The mouse on the Lexus beats the touchpad it had IMO.
Of course to each their own.
But if their system had a carplay or android auto I would be all over it.
Old 03-15-16, 08:08 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The mouse could use some more resistance and then i think it would be close to perfect. It's too easy to overshoot things as it is. I had an NX for a year. The touchpad grew on me. I sort of liked its precision compared to the mouse.

Quick Reply: Beat-sonic CarPlay solution