RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What windshield sunshades are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 08:07 PM
Neckbeard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avoid Intro-tech!

I have tried twice the LX-44R "Ultimate" shades over the past two weeks and neither fit anywhere close to what they should. It is about 4 inches too wide and 3 inches too short. I've had 2 of these for previous vehicles and they fit perfect. Not sure why they can't get this one right. Bad lot maybe? Those 7 year olds in China just don't build things like they used to.
The return process through AutoAnything is also a disappointment. I suppose I'll try the covercraft version through a different supplier although it's pricier - but maybe it will at least fit properly.
Old 01-20-18, 11:12 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckbeard
I have tried twice the LX-44R "Ultimate" shades over the past two weeks and neither fit anywhere close to what they should. It is about 4 inches too wide and 3 inches too short. I've had 2 of these for previous vehicles and they fit perfect. Not sure why they can't get this one right. Bad lot maybe? Those 7 year olds in China just don't build things like they used to.
The return process through AutoAnything is also a disappointment. I suppose I'll try the covercraft version through a different supplier although it's pricier - but maybe it will at least fit properly.
I have the Intro-Tech Ultimate LX-44-R Sunshade. At first, I thought it was not a good fit. It seemed too big on sides and too short at the top. Then I realized, it really needs to past the ridge at the bottom of the windshield. It fits best to be as close to the glass as possible. Maybe you could post a picture and I can send one to compare.
The following users liked this post:
Neckbeard (01-20-18)
Old 01-20-18, 07:08 PM
Neckbeard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
I have the Intro-Tech Ultimate LX-44-R Sunshade. At first, I thought it was not a good fit. It seemed too big on sides and too short at the top. Then I realized, it really needs to past the ridge at the bottom of the windshield. It fits best to be as close to the glass as possible. Maybe you could post a picture and I can send one to compare.
I believe I have it as far as it will go between the dash and windshield. Here is what it looks like. It certainly doesn't fit like the ones I've had in the past, but I'm certainly not immune to operator error! If I'm doing something wrong, any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails What windshield sunshades are you using?-20180115_085116.jpg  
Old 01-22-18, 12:36 PM
Exec8468
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe I have it as far as it will go between the dash and windshield. Here is what it looks like. It certainly doesn't fit like the ones I've had in the past, but I'm certainly not immune to operator error! If I'm doing something wrong, any help would be appreciated.
Looks like it's getting caught on the dash vents. This happens to me almost every single day! You jus need to move it around a bit and push the bottom edge of the sunshade forward/outward towards the windshield. It's almost a two person job until you get the hang of it. You shouldn't see any part of the dash from the outside if it's in there correctly.
Neckbeard (01-24-18)
Old 01-22-18, 08:36 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Exec8468
Looks like it's getting caught on the dash vents. This happens to me almost every single day! You jus need to move it around a bit and push the bottom edge of the sunshade forward/outward towards the windshield. It's almost a two person job until you get the hang of it. You shouldn't see any part of the dash from the outside if it's in there correctly.
Yes. That is the pain of this sunshade. Need to get it it in all the way to the bottom edge of the glass. It always gets caught in the vents and needs to go past it. Otherwise, it will not fit properly. I will see if I can take a photo and post it. These days I am leaving for work and getting home in the dark, so It is hard to get a good photo. In Texas heat, this sunshade makes a huge difference compared to others that I have tried. Now in winter it helps keep the car from getting too cold.
Neckbeard (01-24-18)
Old 01-23-18, 07:53 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Here are a couple of photos from outside and inside:

Neckbeard (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 10:39 AM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was about to buy this but then I see the costco winplus jumbo sunshade is less than $10. Does the costco sunshade not fit well?
Old 01-24-18, 10:43 AM
Neckbeard
Driver School Candidate

Here are a couple of photos from outside and inside:

Thank you for posting these pics. It looks like you're getting more coverage at the top around the rear view mirror than I am getting. I have contacted Intro-tech and they are looking in to it as well. They are very responsive to the inquiry. We'll see how this plays out.
Old 01-24-18, 07:40 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Thank you for posting these pics. It looks like you're getting more coverage at the top around the rear view mirror than I am getting. I have contacted Intro-tech and they are looking in to it as well. They are very responsive to the inquiry. We'll see how this plays out.
I had a similar issue when I first used them. Need to make sure the bottom of the shade is right where the glass meets the dash. The panels should be flat against the glass. It takes a little extra effort to flatten them and get past the vent ridge at the bottom of the windshield. I had contacted Intro-Tech and they were very responsive and asked to send photos. They suggested to make sure the sunshade was right against the glass. That’s when I realized I was just letting the folds of the shade get caught with the vent ridges. Once I pushed them in over the vent ridges and against the glass, the shade covered the glass completely edge to edge.

If you see the dash from outside, the shade is not in enough.
Old 08-22-18, 02:12 PM
Neckbeard
Driver School Candidate

Smile Follow up

I had a similar issue when I first used them. Need to make sure the bottom of the shade is right where the glass meets the dash. The panels should be flat against the glass. It takes a little extra effort to flatten them and get past the vent ridge at the bottom of the windshield. I had contacted Intro-Tech and they were very responsive and asked to send photos. They suggested to make sure the sunshade was right against the glass. That’s when I realized I was just letting the folds of the shade get caught with the vent ridges. Once I pushed them in over the vent ridges and against the glass, the shade covered the glass completely edge to edge.

If you see the dash from outside, the shade is not in enough.
Thanks lexnewbi! Apologies for the delay in the follow up on this issue. Intro-Tech was awesome! They sent me a new shade which fit better, with better coverage, than the previous two. Still not quite like yours in the pics however. Maybe that version is for the model without the sensors?
Anyway, I'm happy that I had the cover for this summer here in AZ.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-22-18 at 02:17 PM. Reason: not the classifieds
Old 05-01-21, 05:11 AM
Bamaboy58
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you buying your sunshades? I just bought a new rx 350 and I want to protect the interior especially the dash. where are you buying the soft two piece sunshades you mention in your post. I agree with you that a $15 dollar sun shade that works well is the best way to go.

thanks
Old 05-03-21, 07:53 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 418 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamaboy58
where are you buying your sunshades? I just bought a new rx 350 and I want to protect the interior especially the dash. where are you buying the soft two piece sunshades you mention in your post. I agree with you that a $15 dollar sun shade that works well is the best way to go.
I bought this one last summer:
Amazon Amazon
. More than $15, but it does fit well and hasn't fallen apart. It's the roll type, not two-piece.
Old 05-04-21, 01:46 AM
alin1390
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also bought the same one from Costco and it works well for me.

Originally Posted by kvtram
2nd on the Costco one, just get the XL size. I transferred it from the X5 I've sold and covers the same. 2 pieces folds down to a small disk that can fit in gap of seat.
Old 05-19-21, 12:58 PM
alin1390
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default $10 Costco sunscreen

Originally Posted by alin1390
Also bought the same one from Costco and it works well for me.
Old 05-20-21, 04:29 AM
tonyroman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get this from Costco recently? Thanks.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-20-21 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: What windshield sunshades are you using?