RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Get Ready for the Three-Row RX 350L and RX 450hL

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 02:58 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't really compare a GX and RX....

The GX is a truck.... The RX is not!

There will still be a set of customers with a need of a real 4X4 and they will not buy a RX as it is just a wagon sitting up higher and disguised as an SUV--- And fine one at that.
Old 04-02-16, 03:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by JosersRX
You can't really compare a GX and RX....

The GX is a truck.... The RX is not!

There will still be a set of customers with a need of a real 4X4 and they will not buy a RX as it is just a wagon sitting up higher and disguised as an SUV--- And fine one at that.
Well true, but when price points and interior volume align, the average customer is blind. In addition you cant really let the GX platform sucess on those who need 4x4 or towing. Its nots gonna work.

the bean counters probs need time to figure out what the pricing is going to be like for the 2 models.
Old 04-03-16, 08:24 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I simply don't see the price of an RX L being similar to that of a GX...as I said before GX is a totes diff beast.

They are adding a two jump seats to it by maybe making the rear more "boxy" as it now slopes to low to allow passengers in its trunk. . Prolly similar to that of a Mazda CX-9.
Old 04-03-16, 11:51 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JosersRX
I simply don't see the price of an RX L being similar to that of a GX...as I said before GX is a totes diff beast.

They are adding a two jump seats to it by maybe making the rear more "boxy" as it now slopes to low to allow passengers in its trunk. . Prolly similar to that of a Mazda CX-9.
Is that true or just speculation? I haven't seen anything before about the third row being jump seats. The 4RX grew quite a bit from the previous generation, and if the platform was extended further I would imagine forward facing seats are feasible without changing the exterior styling much. The LS is about 5" longer in "L" form for reference. If the RX grew by 5" I think it would be the largest in the mid-size segment.

Assuming the RX third row is comfortable, I think it cannibalizes one large differentiation the GX has. A loaded RX is not that much cheaper than a loaded GX, so an RX L is likely to be in the same ball park as the GX. That leaves people who need towing greater than the RX provides, or need more off road capability.

Others are probably right that the LX will not be effected much. Those who were interested in the first place probably won't be swayed. I listed it because I don't really know why anyone buys it in the first place. It's not really class competitive, and it won't be until they get serious about it being something more than a rebadged Land Cruiser. I did not even consider one past looking at the web page during my vehicle search.

Lexus would have three entries in the three row category that many manufacturers have only one, and some like the X5 have a mediocre third row at that. It seems like something will give eventually.
Old 04-03-16, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

And FYI the GX has a third row only suitable for children. They truly are jump seats.
Old 04-03-16, 03:11 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And FYI the GX has a third row only suitable for children. They truly are jump seats.
Yup thats right the seats in the GX are flat and small and its tight back there. Not good for something that is that big bordering the LX territory. If i was to choose between the GX and LX I would spend the extra 15k+ for the LX because it has a real third row.
Old 04-04-16, 05:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

True, but I have yet to sit in any of the following offerings that offer a 3rd row useable for more then 30 minutes.

MDX, easy entry but the higher third floor makes entry and exit a challenge
X5: the manual states that you must be 5' 5 or less to sit bak there
Q7 (2nd gen) The third row seat is comfy but only when you sacrifice 2nd row legroom
Xc90: Prbably the biggest of all third rows, but still lacking
GX460 tiny lower cushion

Unless the RX somehow gets clever then i think something between the x5 and q7 is where its going to end up.

Again unless they making the L a $1-2k option expect the RX to start as the same price as the lower end GX
Old 04-04-16, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You need to sit in a QX60 , excellent third row. Far better than the vehicles you mention. The Highlander also has a very good third row, as does the Santa Fe, the new Pilot, you just haven't sat in the right vehicles. Third row in all those vehicles is just as good as my Sedona.

The third row will never be as nice as the second row, the point is the ability to carry more people when you need to.

If you do t want it, don't buy it. Why all the ire over them offering an option to people who do? They sell 3,500 QX60s a month, 4,500 MDXs a month, Explorer, Pathfinder, Pilot, Highlander, SantaFe ALL went to a 3 row option so clearly there are plenty of people who want a 3 row vehicle
Old 04-05-16, 08:24 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

You need to sit in a QX60 , excellent third row. Far better than the vehicles you mention. The Highlander also has a very good third row, as does the Santa Fe, the new Pilot, you just haven't sat in the right vehicles. Third row in all those vehicles is just as good as my Sedona.

The third row will never be as nice as the second row, the point is the ability to carry more people when you need to.

If you do t want it, don't buy it. Why all the ire over them offering an option to people who do? They sell 3,500 QX60s a month, 4,500 MDXs a month, Explorer, Pathfinder, Pilot, Highlander, SantaFe ALL went to a 3 row option so clearly there are plenty of people who want a 3 row vehicle
Although the QX60/JX35 is loaded with trunk money for leases and finaces (leasing it is insanely cheap), I havent tested it. The Third row might be great, but the grenade prone CVT thanks to Nissan is a BIG NO!. Plus all the fake shiny wood makes it chinzy.

The RX needs to extend its roof line and loose the coupe like hatch. if its more upright like the highlander then the third row will be boss. If not it`ll be considered another X5 where most consider the third row an afterthought (x7 will correct that issue)
Old 04-05-16, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not a CVT fan myself either, but if you need to haul people and don't want a minivan it's hard to beat that Qx60
Old 04-05-16, 11:40 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I'm not a CVT fan myself either, but if you need to haul people and don't want a minivan it's hard to beat that Qx60
The only reason to consider the pathfinder/qx60 is cost. The thing is soo cheap, a lease would outweigh any reliability issues
Old 04-05-16, 11:42 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I really wish there was a Japanese 3rd row suv, that had trunk space behind the third row.

Whenever we use our LX third row, I need to use my 21 cubic feet roof box.

Why can't Japanese make a Suburban fighter? There are people who would appreciate that.

I am always jealous of my friends Escalade ESV and Suburbans..they can fit 3 rows, AND luggage without having to use a roof box
Old 04-05-16, 11:47 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I really wish there was a Japanese 3rd row suv, that had trunk space behind the third row.

Whenever we use our LX third row, I need to use my 21 cubic feet roof box.

Why can't Japanese make a Suburban fighter? There are people who would appreciate that.

I am always jealous of my friends Escalade ESV and Suburbans..they can fit 3 rows, AND luggage without having to use a roof box
The dream is real but its hard to make a vehicle like that. The problem with that is, the platform the Lexus is based on the LC. The LC is marketed as a do anything go anywhere type of vehicle. Short overhangs are important. If they made a suburban type vehicle, the overhangs, would be extreme. They could implement a huge air ride setup, but again would be insane. The only other way is to implement a new platform thats completely different. $$$$ versus what they do know, sharing platform costs
Old 04-05-16, 11:49 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The dream is real but its hard to make a vehicle like that. The problem with that is, the platform the Lexus is based on the LC. The LC is marketed as a do anything go anywhere type of vehicle. Short overhangs are important. If they made a suburban type vehicle, the overhangs, would be extreme. They could implement a huge air ride setup, but again would be insane. The only other way is to implement a new platform thats completely different. $$$$ versus what they do know, sharing platform costs
I realize that, having driven nissan patrols and LC most of my life.

They have the sequoia. The Escalde ESV/Suburban doesn't have LC type of of road chops,a nd this type of vehicle doesn't need to.

I would do a LWB Sequoia and call it a day. And be able to compete with the Navigator Extended/ESV/Suburbans of the world.

I dont' wat to buy a Suburban, but eventually might have to sell the LX and go that route...
Old 04-05-16, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The only reason to consider the pathfinder/qx60 is cost. The thing is soo cheap, a lease would outweigh any reliability issues
As you said, you've never even looked at one. There are lots of reasons to consider one besides cost. In reality its a very nice vehicle, rides well, refined, nice interior, the refresh one is quite attractive, the old one wasn't ugly. Great passenger space.

The ONLY reason I don't have one is the CVT.

Quick Reply: Get Ready for the Three-Row RX 350L and RX 450hL