RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bad tire replaced with a different brand.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 11:19 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

Consider going to www.tirerack.com and bring up both your tire models. The Michelins may show better
results, it is up to you to compare your driving needs and budget. The fitment pitfalls mentioned by dibl
should not deter you from getting the best tires for your specific conditions.
Old 04-06-21, 12:31 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,812 Posts

The OEM Michelins are not great either. Ours were toast around 40K miles. We replaced with Goodyear Maxlife Assurance. They are quiet, smooth and tread definitely will last longer.
Old 04-06-21, 01:21 PM
HungGBA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, so if I wanna change, I should replace them all
Old 04-06-21, 01:23 PM
HungGBA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Consider going to www.tirerack.com and bring up both your tire models. The Michelins may show better
results, it is up to you to compare your driving needs and budget. The fitment pitfalls mentioned by dibl
should not deter you from getting the best tires for your specific conditions.
thanks, so when I bring new tires to workshop, will they buy my old tires if I bought from tirerack not from them?
Old 04-06-21, 01:27 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by HungGBA
thanks, so when I bring new tires to workshop, will they buy my old tires if I bought from tirerack not from them?
Not for a fair price, or else not at all. You'll probably have to put them on Craigslist or something like that to get a fair price.
Old 04-06-21, 01:28 PM
HungGBA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The OEM Michelins are not great either. Ours were toast around 40K miles. We replaced with Goodyear Maxlife Assurance. They are quiet, smooth and tread definitely will last longer.
ya, I just read a thread that scored Michelin much better than Brid, and they also score Pirelli is extremely high. I am considering Michelin or Pirrelli.

Old 04-06-21, 05:01 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 137 Posts

If your RX is AWD drive replace all 4 like dibl suggested. If FWD you have the option to replace (2) with the same brand & model you have depending on the wear buy 4. Note: it's easy for me to spend your money .
As for which tire to buy we all have our opinions on what we like such as ride & handling also depends on what region you live in for weather conditions. In my experience I like the Continentals better than the Michelins, but would choose the Michelins over the Bridgestones on a RX. I also suggest going to Discount Tire they give you 30 days to return them if you don't like them for something else. I've done this many times with my cars, and purchase the optional warranty. They will replace your tire if it can't be repaired it pays for itself if you use it once. I've used it twice on my daughter's car for unrepairable tires.
Let us know what you decide on....
Old 04-07-21, 10:10 PM
HungGBA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
If your RX is AWD drive replace all 4 like dibl suggested. If FWD you have the option to replace (2) with the same brand & model you have depending on the wear buy 4. Note: it's easy for me to spend your money .
As for which tire to buy we all have our opinions on what we like such as ride & handling also depends on what region you live in for weather conditions. In my experience I like the Continentals better than the Michelins, but would choose the Michelins over the Bridgestones on a RX. I also suggest going to Discount Tire they give you 30 days to return them if you don't like them for something else. I've done this many times with my cars, and purchase the optional warranty. They will replace your tire if it can't be repaired it pays for itself if you use it once. I've used it twice on my daughter's car for unrepairable tires.
Let us know what you decide on....
Thank you so much, so I will have a plan to replace all 4 tires. Discount Tire seems right for me to. As your experience, how many miles continentals tires can last ?
Old 04-08-21, 11:58 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Originally Posted by HungGBA
Thank you so much, so I will have a plan to replace all 4 tires. Discount Tire seems right for me to. As your experience, how many miles continentals tires can last ?
This really depends which model tire, how you drive, and take care of them. I had them on my Ford Expedition and I was ready to change them out around 55k miles. I've used them on the Acura I had, but those were the sports model tires.

I suggest when you're ready go to Discount Tire they will tell you the manufacture size, and model for your RX. Again tires are like shoes people like what they like, but stick to the main brands should be rebates on them too.
To answer your question I looked up FWD RX and the Continental CrossContact all season tire rated for 70k miles. You probably will be ready to change them out around 60k miles imo.
Old 04-08-21, 12:27 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,127 Likes on 732 Posts

I just replaced my Michelins that I only got 30,000 miles with the Pirelli's. I bought them based on rated #1 out of 38 tires for my size. The Bridgestone's are rated #36 out of 38.
Old 04-08-21, 03:21 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

I've heard the OEM Michelins folks are getting 30-40k out of them. So far I haven't kept an RX over 30k miles.
The following users liked this post:
dibl (04-08-21)
Old 04-09-21, 09:11 AM
bshomo63
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Related question. I have a 2017 RX FSport. Bought as CPO last September with 29K miles. Now have 35K and hit curb and blew out sidewall on front passenger side (no curb rash, thankfully). The tires are the Ecopias, and were new when I bought car (so 6K miles on them). Is it okay to just replace the one tire given the low miles on the tires or should I do them in pairs?
Old 04-09-21, 09:51 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by bshomo63
Is it okay to just replace the one tire given the low miles on the tires or should I do them in pairs?
I think you can get by replacing TWO tires, not one. With my 2015, at 18K miles I ran over something that cut the tread on a tire such that it was not repairable. I talked to the dealer service manager and he recommended that I buy 2 new tires, and put both new tires on the front, and then instead of following the wheel rotation pattern in the manual, I would have to simply swap front and rear tires every 5K miles thereafter. He said the car is not in AWD mode full time, only when accelerating, and the difference in tire diameters would not cause damage as long as the matching tires were on the same axle.

Note -- that car was totaled in a wreck at 33K miles, so we'll never know how accurate that advice was in the long run. You should discuss it with your dealer, since you're still under warranty. For sure, you don't want different diameter tires on the same axle.
coolbrazz (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 10:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by bshomo63
Related question. I have a 2017 RX FSport. Bought as CPO last September with 29K miles. Now have 35K and hit curb and blew out sidewall on front passenger side (no curb rash, thankfully). The tires are the Ecopias, and were new when I bought car (so 6K miles on them). Is it okay to just replace the one tire given the low miles on the tires or should I do them in pairs?
You ought to have the same tires (manufacturer & date of service) on the same axle to ensure proper handling.
Also if AWD make sure that the tread depth difference between all the tires is within specs.
coolbrazz (04-09-21)
Old 04-10-21, 05:41 AM
bshomo63
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks dibl and Cocal. That was my thinking as well. I bought one tire with the idea that there are only 6k miles on them, but after comparing new to old, there is a significant amount if tread loss on the Bridgestones. As others have experienced, the Bridgestones wear down quickly. Will replace 2 for now, but no more of these Bridgestones after they're done.
dibl (04-10-21)

Quick Reply: Bad tire replaced with a different brand.