RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Backup sensors and hitch mounted bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20 | 02:39 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

F/u about my observations so far when using my bike rack....

When the bike rack is empty and in its normal position to carry a bike (not folded-up), the PKSA & PKSB can be on. The PKSA has to be muted, but both can be on with no issues.

When the bike rack is folded-up, the PKSA is less annoying if off. The PKSB can be on. The PKSA, with the rack folded-up, keeps telling me on the little info screen that the parking sensors are not in use and need to be cleaned. If I change the menu to anything else, seconds later the same warning comes up....over and over, regardless if I am going forward, backward, or the speed the car is traveling.

When the bike is on the rack, PKSB needs to be off, at least anytime I’m backing-up, b/c the auto-braking feature repeatedly keeps firmly doing its job, believing I’m about to hit something. The PKSA can be on, but muted.

Old 09-03-20 | 05:55 AM
lrodptl
Driver School Candidate

Default Turn off backup auto braking on 2017

I recently put a bike rack on the back of the vehicle and now it thinks I'm going to hit something when backing up and auto brakes. How do I disable that? Thanks.
Old 09-05-20 | 09:20 AM
golfer1
Driver School Candidate

under settings -- switch ICS to off (I believe)
The following users liked this post:
xxx350L (09-05-20)
Old 09-06-20 | 06:43 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

See my post from 5/31/20....

“F/u about my observations so far when using my Kuat bike rack....

When the bike rack is empty and in its normal position to carry a bike (not folded-up), the PKSA & PKSB can be on. The PKSA has to be muted, but both can be on with no issues.

When the bike rack is folded-up, the PKSA is less annoying if off. The PKSB can be on. The PKSA, with the rack folded-up, keeps telling me on the little info screen that the parking sensors are not in use and need to be cleaned. If I change the menu to anything else, seconds later the same warning comes up....over and over, regardless if I am going forward, backward, or the speed the car is traveling.

When the bike is on the rack, PKSB needs to be off, at least anytime I’m backing-up, b/c the auto-braking feature repeatedly keeps firmly doing its job, believing I’m about to hit something. The PKSA can be on, but muted.”
Old 12-04-21 | 06:58 AM
63bikerack
Driver School Candidate

Default Back up with Bike Rack

I have a 2020 RX 450H and I am unable to back up with out the Brake Alert being set off when I have the bike rack on the car. Any suggestions as to how to prevent this situation?
Old 12-04-21 | 08:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I guess you would turn off the brake alert?
Old 12-04-21 | 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You would have to turn it off when using a bike rack. Your bike rack is obviously tricking the sensors
Old 12-06-21 | 12:15 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by 63bikerack
I have a 2020 RX 450H and I am unable to back up with out the Brake Alert being set off when I have the bike rack on the car. Any suggestions as to how to prevent this situation?
You must disable PKSB in the MID. Doing so will allow you to back up without the brake alert. That's what I do when my bike in on the rack. Sometimes I get false parking proximity alerts and blind spot alerts with the bike, too. If so I disable PKSA and the BSM in the MID, too. If you have the kick sensor, I suggest disabling it, as well. You don't want the rear door inadvertently opening with your bike on the rack.

I would not put up with a rack that interferes with the PKSB sensors when no bike is present. I have a 1UP hitch rack that causes no sensor alerts when empty.

Last edited by bamalam; 04-30-22 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-16-21 | 11:50 AM
Silorlando
Driver School Candidate

Did you get an answer as I have the same problem
Old 04-30-22 | 03:14 PM
Aogman
Driver School Candidate

Default Park assist sensors

When carrying my bike on a hitch mounted bike carrier park assist engages to stop vehicle. Also when hauling items in a hitch mounted carrier park assist gives indication that sensors need cleaning. Must disengage to solve condition.
Old 04-03-24 | 07:38 PM
Kulharin
Rookie

Can sensitivity of the ICS be reduced? Or if off, can you disable the orange indicator warning about the system off?
Old 04-04-24 | 06:06 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kulharin
Can sensitivity of the ICS be reduced? Or if off, can you disable the orange indicator warning about the system off?
No way to do that on the 2020, at least, as far as I can tell. I also have hitch bike rack on my RX nearly all the time. I keep PKSB disabled and have gotten used to the light being on. For a while I'd only disable it when I had a bike on the car, but forgetting meant a sudden unexpected stop if I forgot. Dealing with light being on is easier. Occasionally PKSA will fire, and I'll disable that if it does.
Old 04-04-24 | 08:01 AM
Kulharin
Rookie

Is the ICS dependent on the PKSA? Seems if I disable the PKSA and leave ICS on, it will begin to malfunction after a short distance and I get a blinking indicator unless I also shut off the ICS... Is that to be expected? ... Also, you can turn down the volume of the PKSA alert but you cannot mute it correct?

Thx
Old 04-04-24 | 08:26 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kulharin
Is the ICS dependent on the PKSA? Seems if I disable the PKSA and leave ICS on, it will begin to malfunction after a short distance and I get a blinking indicator unless I also shut off the ICS... Is that to be expected? ... Also, you can turn down the volume of the PKSA alert but you cannot mute it correct?
What year is your RX? My 2020 does not appear to have ICS (Intelligent Clearance Sonar). The functionality of it is built into PKSB (Parking Support Brake, which automatically brakes if an obstacle is detected behind the vehicle). What I keep disabled all the time is PKSB. As mentioned in my earlier post, if PKSB is enabled and I put my bike on the car, it automatically brakes when backing up.

PKSA (Parking Support Alert) just issues a sound if an object is detected either in front or behind the vehicle when moving slowing. This I leave on all the time, unless the car warns it has been disabled because it gets confused with a bike on the rack. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.)

You can mute the PKSA alert, at least on the 2020. When it is beeping press the right center button on the steering wheel (the 'dot' button centered between the arrow buttons.) The mute function is temporary, not a permanent setting. I sometimes mute the PKSA warning when backing out of my garage if I'm sure it's only a false alarm because of the bike.
Old 04-04-24 | 08:45 AM
Kulharin
Rookie

Mine is a 2017 450h. The Parking Assist just has the rear camera and the alert alarm, but when it sees my bike rack it just goes into a constant "beep" whenever in reverse. If I disable it, I'll still have the rear parking camera, but this essentially disables any proximity warnings alerts on the front or of the vehicle. I guess no way around that.

ICS I can disable or enable separately from the the Parking Assist, but it seems to malfunction without parking assist enabled... ICS is the one that "auto" break when in reverse if my bike is there. If it's just the rack without the bike it's not an issue with the auto breaking, just the constant alarm beep.

Quick Reply: Backup sensors and hitch mounted bike rack