RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Running boards/steps and installation (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15 | 04:30 PM
joe311
Rookie

Post Running boards/steps and installation (merged threads)

I'm interested in getting running boards for the new 4rx but my dealer doesn't have them in stock or any sku or listing info about them yet. Does anyone have them or see how they look like installed yet?
Old 11-18-15 | 08:36 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I have never seen running boards on a RX. Got pictures?
Old 11-18-15 | 09:47 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I have never seen running boards on a RX. Got pictures?
Old 11-18-15 | 12:33 PM
joe311
Rookie

thats the picture i saw on lexus.com but i want a full picture from farther away. it's hard to get a good idea of it looks that close and in that angle. thanks again for the picture though.
Old 11-19-15 | 04:02 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

They are looking like they are rather narrow. Are they for looks or do they serve a function. I have had running boards before that were just for looks and it was a pain in my leg getting in the way when getting out of the vehicle.

Got to be a "looks" thing as the RX is just not that tall of a step.
Old 11-19-15 | 06:25 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

They are looking like they are rather narrow. Are they for looks or do they serve a function. I have had running boards before that were just for looks and it was a pain in my leg getting in the way when getting out of the vehicle.

I put running boards on my 2013 and they look great ( IMO). My wife has the exact same complaint that you have about getting out of the vehicle. I must admit ,she is probably correct.
Old 11-19-15 | 06:40 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

BTW I think that the running boards would make it easier to get in and out of the 2016 RX350
Old 11-20-15 | 04:57 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

But they are for some people, like my 5'4" wife. That is really the only thing we haven't liked about our move from the 2nd gen to a 3rd gen RX. We tried some nerf bars on our 2013 but hated the look and removed them immediately. We do wish they would have left the height alone, especially since the ground clearance didn't even change.
Old 11-21-15 | 01:54 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Default More pics ... Please

Please can someone post some better pics ? 😊... They are quoting $1600 here in Australia!
Old 11-21-15 | 09:28 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

I agree. I think the ones for the RX are an aesthetic thing. Looks like they sit very close with the bottom of the doors which only gives a couple inches lower step, and they look pretty narrow. That little boost is pretty much useless, and will only get your pant legs dirty when trying to avoid them.

The only running boards that seem to be functional are the motorized ones that come out when you open the door and hide themselves when the door is closed. They seem to come out further and tend to be thicker.
Old 11-21-15 | 04:30 PM
joe311
Rookie

the running boards help for the shorter people like me. When you open the door it has more clearance to get in and out. it helps the kids get into the back seat easier as well. i rather step onto the boards instead of the inside the door scuff plate since they will get dirt marks inside the car. Most of the dealers around don't even have any info about them yet so it's hard to get pictures of them. my dealer said they will expect to get them before the year ends.
Old 12-27-15 | 06:54 AM
ycnibrc
Driver School Candidate

its help when you wash your car top and sun roof. Plus if you have the roof rack then it's a must have.
The following 2 users liked this post by ycnibrc:
greyhndfan (09-26-22), ranstett (05-02-21)
Old 12-27-15 | 07:51 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I must be taller than others here and at 5'-10" it would never occur to me to step on the threshold to get in my RX. I simply put my right leg inside on the floor board and sit my butt in the seat. It is not like I am having to jump to get in. Maybe a very young kid but even a shorter adult . . . Well I must be getting in wrong.
Old 12-27-15 | 02:23 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

I'm thinking of getting them simply because with the F-sport seats, the side bolsters are quite high and I am concerned that the leather and bolster will get worn out quicker if I don't have the running board to step on to. I am 5'9" and when I put my foot down outside on the ground, it's really squishing down on the protruding bolster. My wife is 5'7" but much lighter than me so maybe she just glides over it and doesn't seem bothered by it as much as I am concerned.. We have the Rioja red leather and I certainly don't want to wear it out..
Are the running boards a user-installable item?
The following users liked this post:
Judsonian (05-12-21)
Old 12-29-15 | 03:46 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Please can someone post some clear pics ....( So far they are all sideways in bad light )

Quick Reply: Running boards/steps and installation (merged threads)