RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panorama Roof: Cross Bar Rack (Possible Alternative with NX rack)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 02:27 PM
ChitownK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
I just ordered the crossbars and kit from Thule for my RX.

Will post pictures as soon as they are here probably within the next 2 weeks.

In regards to previous convo for factory crossbars on pano roof, like others have stated I have a hard time seeing how the pinch method would be secure since we do not have the inserts in the roof rails compared to the roof rails of one with a moon roof, however if this is indeed possible it would cost a lot less compared to Thule's option. But we need pics to confirm!

Thule Fit Kit KIT4072
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603B
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602B
Curious. Why the Thule brand vs the Lexus option? Price compare Has the Thule at ~ 200 more.
Old 04-17-16, 10:14 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitownK
Curious. Why the Thule brand vs the Lexus option? Price compare Has the Thule at ~ 200 more.
OEM Lexus crossbars only work on roofs for cars equipped with the standard moonroof. If you have the panoramic roof, OEM Lexus crossbars are not designed to fit on these cars.
Old 04-18-16, 09:09 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitownK
Originally Posted by skiracer
OEM Lexus crossbars only work on roofs for cars equipped with the standard moonroof. If you have the panoramic roof, OEM Lexus crossbars are not designed to fit on these cars.
Exactly what skiracer said and just to clarify for the folks that do not know:

-Side rails on panoramic roof do NOT have dimples/inserts for factory cross bars to mount

-Side rails for non pano roof HAVE dimples/inserts for factory car bars to mount and secure

Reason why I went with Thule is because the mount grabs/secures onto the side rails without needing to lock into the dimples/inserts since there are none.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-16, 03:00 PM
ChitownK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Exactly what skiracer said and just to clarify for the folks that do not know:

-Side rails on panoramic roof do NOT have dimples/inserts for factory cross bars to mount

-Side rails for non pano roof HAVE dimples/inserts for factory car bars to mount and secure

Reason why I went with Thule is because the mount grabs/secures onto the side rails without needing to lock into the dimples/inserts since there are none.

Hope that helps.
It does. Thank you for explanations. I don't have the sport but I am intrigued by the Thule as it has the locking feature, appears like it might be easier to put on (or remove) when desired and perhaps better quality. Will be interested to see photos when attached.
Old 04-18-16, 03:19 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 409 Posts

I'm waiting for Yakima to release the A tower attachments flute my yakima set. Hopefully it'll come soon. Camping season starts soon.