RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panorama Roof: Cross Bar Rack (Possible Alternative with NX rack)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 02:08 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Panorama Roof: Cross Bar Rack (Possible Alternative with NX rack)

I JUST WROTE THIS LENGTHY THING ABOUT NX RACK WORKING ON RX, THEN I DOUBLED CHECK THULE RIGHT NOW AND THEY HAVE ONE FOR OUR CAR!!

Multiple options from Thule - 3 different bar setups.

Will post pics within next few weeks once mine is installed.

Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603, Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602, KIT4072

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...e-7603-_-7603a

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...b47-_-arb47999

disclamer- obviously do not open panoramic sunroof when crossbars are installed

Last edited by SFocLA; 04-14-16 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 03:48 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

So where is this thing you wrote?
Old 04-12-16, 03:56 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by bootman
So where is this thing you wrote?
I deleted it because it was pointless now that the rack is actually out for RX. from Thule..
Old 04-12-16, 09:31 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI, the Lexus crossbars will work on a 2016 RX with panoramic roof in the "pinch" attachment mode, though you must be careful not to open the roof while they are attached. After several discussions with my local dealership on this issue, they agreed that they will sell me the crossbars with a panoramic roof RX, provided that I understand that damage will result if the roof is opened with the crossbars on, and accept the risk.
Old 04-12-16, 10:38 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoe
FYI, the Lexus crossbars will work on a 2016 RX with panoramic roof in the "pinch" attachment mode, though you must be careful not to open the roof while they are attached. After several discussions with my local dealership on this issue, they agreed that they will sell me the crossbars with a panoramic roof RX, provided that I understand that damage will result if the roof is opened with the crossbars on, and accept the risk.
I don't think Pano roof have the proper mounting dimples on the OEM roof rails....
Old 04-12-16, 10:42 PM
SFocLA
Driver

pics please...

Originally Posted by skiracer
I don't think Pano roof have the proper mounting dimples on the OEM roof rails....
I agree pano roof does not have dimples.
Old 04-12-16, 10:49 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

It doesn't have dimples, so it can't be attached by the fixed position method. However, my dealership says that it supports a pinch method of connection that allows the crossbars to be placed anywhere along the rails.
Old 04-13-16, 12:50 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Is he making you sign a waiver?

I would being that we live in such a litigious society.
Old 04-13-16, 01:25 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

It doesn't have dimples, so it can't be attached by the fixed position method. However, my dealership says that it supports a pinch method of connection that allows the crossbars to be placed anywhere along the rails.

I would not trust that type of attachment to be very secure at high loads, especially highway speeds. I'd go the Thule route if i were you.. You are risking the lives of the people driving behind you and you getting your butt sued if the rack and its contents go flying off of your car.
Old 04-13-16, 03:02 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Thanks, but I'm confused. Why do you feel that Thule crossbars would be safer than Lexus own crossbars? Lexus says that theirs will support 165 pounds whether on a panoramic roof or regular moon roof. I appreciate your point about the danger of opening the panoramic roof with a loaded roof rack, but wouldn't that problem also exist with the Thule cross bars? Frankly, I think that it is regrettable that Lexus didn't simply engineer their panoramic roof to open with crossbars attached, like most of their competitors.
Old 04-14-16, 11:36 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Thanks, but I'm confused. Why do you feel that Thule crossbars would be safer than Lexus own crossbars? Lexus says that theirs will support 165 pounds whether on a panoramic roof or regular moon roof. I appreciate your point about the danger of opening the panoramic roof with a loaded roof rack, but wouldn't that problem also exist with the Thule cross bars? Frankly, I think that it is regrettable that Lexus didn't simply engineer their panoramic roof to open with crossbars attached, like most of their competitors.
The OEM cross bar mounts have these 2 metal tabs that stick out of them. For regular moonroof RX's, they have dimples on them to insert. On Pano roofs, there's no place for these metal tabs to go.

https://goo.gl/photos/jc728fb9dZ2H2QM38
Old 04-14-16, 01:29 PM
SFocLA
Driver

I just ordered the crossbars and kit from Thule for my RX.

Will post pictures as soon as they are here probably within the next 2 weeks.

In regards to previous convo for factory crossbars on pano roof, like others have stated I have a hard time seeing how the pinch method would be secure since we do not have the inserts in the roof rails compared to the roof rails of one with a moon roof, however if this is indeed possible it would cost a lot less compared to Thule's option. But we need pics to confirm!

Thule Fit Kit KIT4072
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603B
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602B
Old 04-14-16, 08:30 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

I'll check further on the "pinch method" of connecting the crossbars with my Lexus dealer this weekend and post what I find. I'll try to also get a pic, but they might not have any panoramic roof RX's on their lot.
Old 04-14-16, 08:49 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

I just looked at the instructions again for the OEM crossbars. The torque specs are only 8Nm or 5.9 foot/lbs of torque. That's not a lot of torque to pinch anything....
Old 04-14-16, 09:03 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Thank very much for that information.. Good to know when I talk to my dealer about the alternative "pinch method".

Quick Reply: Panorama Roof: Cross Bar Rack (Possible Alternative with NX rack)