RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Turn on/off Air Conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 01:06 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok so the answer is you cant turn the AC on and off without going through the menus.....Strange

The digital speedo is only on the F-Sport model.......strange

Engine shuts off when entering the vehicle when started remotely.......strange

Guess I'm just used to American cars...
Old 06-15-17, 01:07 PM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Doesn't hitting OFF turn off the fan too? I don't want to stop the air flow, just no cold compressed air. And doesn't hitting AUTO crank up the fan? I want the fan to be where it was before...I don't want to have to hit the fan down buttons again to crank the fan back down.

Jeez, why not just have an AC ON/AC OFF switch like has been in cars for at least the 40 years I've been driving?
Just keep it on AUTO and adjust the temp for goodness sake. It keeps the cabin at the temp you want and will blow whatever air it required to keep it there.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-15-17 at 01:08 PM. Reason: getting personal
Old 06-15-17, 07:24 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

[QUOTE=aznkorboi;9897659]Here is what I learned that works really well for me.

I have the 12.3 inch display.

On the left side, I have my audio that shows me what I'm playing. I don't use the maps at all.
On the smaller right side, I have the temperature calibrations.

I have a similar setup to yours except I use the fan speed buttons to control the fan noise.
Is there a way to prevent the nav screen from defaulting to maps?? I "never" use maps.
Old 06-16-17, 06:11 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=Nail34;9898061]
Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Here is what I learned that works really well for me.

I have the 12.3 inch display.

On the left side, I have my audio that shows me what I'm playing. I don't use the maps at all.
On the smaller right side, I have the temperature calibrations.

I have a similar setup to yours except I use the fan speed buttons to control the fan noise.
Is there a way to prevent the nav screen from defaulting to maps?? I "never" use maps.
Under settings there should be some setting about switching back to another screen after a while. I forgot. But mine never switches to maps. If I have it on audio when turning off the car, it loads up on audio again.
Old 06-23-17, 09:54 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by and408rew
Am I crazy for thinking Lexus made a poor move by not putting a manual AC on/off button?
Some designer at Lexus fell asleep on the wheel on this dummy move
Old 06-23-17, 10:45 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Go into Settings and Vehicle and turn off "Auto Screen Change". Screens will now stay where
you want them. Be aware that the quickest way to change screens it to press various "hard buttons"
instead of opening up Menu and mousing around to "Soft Buttons" then pressing down...
The "Hard Keys" are: Radio - every source Outside the car, Media - every source Inside the car,
Map - obvious, and the steering wheel spoke button, Off Hook - phone screen. Another shortcut
trick is to hold the steering wheel button Mode down long enough to Mute any source...works well
when a Navigation comment is trying to talk over your tunes.
Old 06-23-17, 11:11 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Go into Settings and Vehicle and turn off "Auto Screen Change". Screens will now stay where
you want them. Be aware that the quickest way to change screens it to press various "hard buttons"
instead of opening up Menu and mousing around to "Soft Buttons" then pressing down...
The "Hard Keys" are: Radio - every source Outside the car, Media - every source Inside the car,
Map - obvious, and the steering wheel spoke button, Off Hook - phone screen. Another shortcut
trick is to hold the steering wheel button Mode down long enough to Mute any source...works well
when a Navigation comment is trying to talk over your tunes.
Thanks, great post re the shortcuts!!
I did find that I had changed the auto screen change to "on" not realizing it would cause a default to maps, easy fix.
Old 05-28-18, 07:38 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The weather is warmner, and I found another flaw

A few weeks ago, I mentioned the lack of Dual (temperature) button on 16-17 model.
Now, I realized we don't have the AC button either.

In the summer, about 30 seconds before the destination, I shut the AC off, fan high so it vents out all the moisture.
I've done it for the past 20 years and none of my cars smelled like mold.

But without the AC button, before I arrive, while I drive, I go to Menu - Climate - scroll to AC and click.
It's a major hassle and distraction.
Old 05-28-18, 10:06 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Elation
A few weeks ago, I mentioned the lack of Dual (temperature) button on 16-17 model.

In the summer, about 30 seconds before the destination, I shut the AC off, fan high so it vents out all the moisture.

But without the AC button, before I arrive, while I drive, I go to Menu - Climate - scroll to AC and click.
How about you adjust temperature to your liking on either side and it turns into a dual temperature without extra button. Nice right?
Here is another trick, I never bothered to tinker with AC off and never had a problem with AC either un-freaking-believable right?

Another thing I stopped doing is pulling on a carburetor chock and pushing on a gas pedal 10 times before starting a car.
You are going to lose your mind bur have you had a chance to open a window yet? You do not have to move musculus just push a button, I didn't believe it until I tried.

Last edited by Oldfart; 05-28-18 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-29-18, 06:49 AM
Elation
Driver

Originally Posted by Oldfart
How about you adjust temperature to your liking on either side and it turns into a dual temperature without extra button. Nice right?
Try sync it back to the single stage - you must go through the climate screen. Other cars, you push the Dual button to sync. 2018 RX, they added this button.

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Here is another trick, I never bothered to tinker with AC off and never had a problem with AC either un-freaking-believable right?
I've ridden in an RX with the funky mold smell. Just because you don't see it as a "problem", doesn't mean all of us have to be fine with it.

Please try to comprehend other members' inputs before making smart comments.
Old 05-29-18, 09:08 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I've ridden in an RX with the funky mold smell. Just because you don't see it as a "problem", doesn't mean all of us have to be fine with it.

Please try to comprehend other members' inputs before making smart comments.
Smart comments? Were you blindfolded when you test drove the car?
Old 05-29-18, 01:24 PM
Elation
Driver

How many people check if there’s an AC button test driving a car in December?

The following users liked this post:
garne2t (12-03-21)
Old 05-29-18, 05:21 PM
My450H
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This poster is right. Test drive is very limited and a lot is assumed and based on reasonable good faith.

This is my first lexus and I immediately found it very annoying with their AC system. I still keep my top trim 2005 Altima which has two dials -- one for fan and the other for temp. Inside each dial is an on/off button for fresh/cabin air and AC. It's super simple and intuitive.
The following users liked this post:
garne2t (12-03-21)
Old 05-30-18, 02:18 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After having that mold like smell in my 2014 IS, I always use the "OFF" button next to the "AUTO" button at least 30 seconds before I shut off the engine and I never had that problem again with the '14 IS, '15 IS, and now '17 RX. Give that a try instead of going into the Menu options.
Old 05-30-18, 06:04 PM
frazierwa
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't encourage him... let him drift away.

I've been driving Lexus' for 25 years; about 8 different models, and I don't remember the last time I saw an A/C on/off button. While I agree that there isn't a big impact on having it on all the time, I do want the choice and it would be easy to deliver.
I suspect that the reason they don't offer this ability is because of their concern that some percentage of users might turn it off and then complain that the A/C 'isn't working so it's easier to just make it very difficult to turn off the compressor. If I was skeptical/conspiratorial, I might wonder if they sell more A/C parts and service if it's on all the time.

Quick Reply: Turn on/off Air Conditioner?