RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Turn on/off Air Conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18 | 07:54 PM
PatrickKan
Driver School Candidate

This work-around always works on my 2016 RX4 Sport+ but I don't know f it works on other RX4's equipped with so-called Type B 3-mode A/C control:
  1. Turn off "Auto" climate control.
  2. Toggle between "Recirculated Air Mode" (Compressor Off), Automatic (Compressor On), Outside Air Mode (Compressor Off) to switch A/C compressor On/Off.
So far I've not found turning off Auto climate control causing any inconvenience even in hot place like Hong Kong.

Last edited by PatrickKan; 05-30-18 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-31-18 | 12:14 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frazierwa
Don't encourage him... let him drift away.

I've been driving Lexus' for 25 years; about 8 different models, and I don't remember the last time I saw an A/C on/off button. While I agree that there isn't a big impact on having it on all the time, I do want the choice and it would be easy to deliver.
I suspect that the reason they don't offer this ability is because of their concern that some percentage of users might turn it off and then complain that the A/C 'isn't working so it's easier to just make it very difficult to turn off the compressor. If I was skeptical/conspiratorial, I might wonder if they sell more A/C parts and service if it's on all the time.
2016 NX has an on/off a/c button
Old 05-31-18 | 12:30 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PatrickKan
This work-around always works on my 2016 RX4 Sport+ but I don't know f it works on other RX4's equipped with so-called Type B 3-mode A/C control:
  1. Turn off "Auto" climate control.
  2. Toggle between "Recirculated Air Mode" (Compressor Off), Automatic (Compressor On), Outside Air Mode (Compressor Off) to switch A/C compressor On/Off.
So far I've not found turning off Auto climate control causing any inconvenience even in hot place like Hong Kong.
If you have an f-sport, just put the climate screen in the right side small screen and select the on/off a/c button with the mouse. Since I don't use auto I leave the climate screen on all the time to adjust the fan, temp, air direction, a/c and dual.
Old 05-31-18 | 03:06 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nail34
If you have an f-sport, just put the climate screen in the right side small screen and select the on/off a/c button with the mouse. Since I don't use auto I leave the climate screen on all the time to adjust the fan, temp, air direction, a/c and dual.
so i can't do that without the f-sport ??
the big screen area right, the small screen on that ?? (nav area)
not sure why anyone wouldn't use auto, it works great for me,
Old 05-31-18 | 07:55 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Elation
A few weeks ago, I mentioned the lack of Dual (temperature) button on 16-17 model.
Now, I realized we don't have the AC button either.
In the summer, about 30 seconds before the destination, I shut the AC off, fan high so it vents out all the moisture.
I've done it for the past 20 years and none of my cars smelled like mold.
But without the AC button, before I arrive, while I drive, I go to Menu - Climate - scroll to AC and click.
It's a major hassle and distraction.
There is a button with 'OFF' written on it. It shuts off the A/C you couldn't have missed it.
Old 05-31-18 | 10:20 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

mine is always off, in auto so that the fans and seat are controlled automatically.

if I want the AC I press the AUTO button again and lower the temp to LO or whatever.

Also, switching to re-circulation mode AUTO kicks on the ac as well

I also turn off the AC when I exit the freeway and put it to outside air and increase the ventilation fans to prevent the nasty mold mildew smell over time
Old 06-04-18 | 12:19 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Interesting discussion, I also turn off the AC in my 2016 RX350 by the soft button on the screen if I'm in the car by myself. (I just split my display). I also own a Acura and when I turn off the AC manually in about 10min the rear window fogs up & the bottom part of the front windshield fogs a little. I ask the Acura service guy and he told me that circulating air is needed to help keep the humidity down so the windows won’t fog. He told me some other things but since this is a Lexus forum I'll leave it at that. At least I do have a button in my Acura that gave me a choice, but newer cars these days seem to need air flow inside. The car manufacture should let the user decided, but more and more they are taking these things away from the user. Soon the cars will start driving themselves and preset the A/C to our body temperature. CB
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18 | 12:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
Interesting discussion, I also turn off the AC in my 2016 RX350 by the soft button on the screen if I'm in the car by myself. (I just split my display). I also own a Acura and when I turn off the AC manually in about 10min the rear window fogs up & the bottom part of the front windshield fogs a little. I ask the Acura service guy and he told me that circulating air is needed to help keep the humidity down so the windows won’t fog. He told me some other things but since this is a Lexus forum I'll leave it at that. At least I do have a button in my Acura that gave me a choice, but newer cars these days seem to need air flow inside. The car manufacture should let the user decided, but more and more they are taking these things away from the user. Soon the cars will start driving themselves and preset the A/C to our body temperature. CB
98.6 will be a bit warm for my taste
Old 06-04-18 | 02:26 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

I would agree to that.... good one
Old 04-15-21 | 11:47 AM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Question How to turn On/Off A/C quickly?

I have a 2017 RX350. I know how to turn on/off A/C by poking through the menu. But people in my family do not know how to turn the A/C on or off when need. Is there a quick way to turn A/C on/off without going the through the menu with multiple steps? Honestly I like the old car with the A/C button on the dash
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-21 | 11:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by test_accou
I have a 2017 RX350. I know how to turn on/off A/C by poking through the menu. But people in my family do not know how to turn the A/C on or off when need. Is there a quick way to turn A/C on/off without going the through the menu with multiple steps? Honestly I like the old car with the A/C button on the dash
Thanks in advance!
You want to turn off the entire HVAC system or just the AC compressor? I think if it's just the compressor, you have to go through the screen.
Old 04-15-21 | 12:45 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

I just want to turn the A/C compression off or on when need, I guess. The same way that we press the A/C button on the dash of old vehicles. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
WIZARD1325 (04-15-21)
Old 04-15-21 | 02:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I just want to turn the A/C compression off or on when need, I guess. The same way that we press the A/C button on the dash of old vehicles. Thanks!
Then I believe menu is your only option. They want it running all the time for some reason even in cooler months. Some system benefits I believe, lube seals etc.
Old 04-15-21 | 03:01 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Yea i wondered this myself and i have it shut off and just turn it on in the menu.

By mikemu30 is correct why its always left on. and there no quick way to do it. sorry .
Old 04-15-21 | 07:38 PM
bamalam
Advanced

I'm with you on this. If I could add one more hard button to the RX controls, it would be for the AC compressor. It seems wasteful of fuel and the cause of needless wear to keep the compressor running all the time. The good news, I guess, is there is not a "My compressor died" thread on this forum with a couple thousand comments.....

Quick Reply: Turn on/off Air Conditioner?